School interviews to start

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

Nine candidates have applied to be superintendent of Akron Public Schools. The deadline for applications passed on Friday.
Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Jan 30, 2008
Howard Beale Jr

Akron, OH

#1 Jan 29, 2008
2001: 25 candidates

2008: 9 candidates

Has Akron's public school system become THAT undesirable for potential leadership? Sad if true, to any degree.
Cloverine Fleetwood

Loudonville, OH

#2 Jan 29, 2008
That the Board is considering the possible reopening to garner more applications is a backhand way of saying that none of the nine who applied in a timely manner are up to the job. There would be other ways to spin the reopening, but none of them could disguise this truth. Another unspoken truth is that the number of candidates is a sign that folks do not want to work for the seven elected Board members.

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Since: Mar 07

Your Neighbor & Friend

#3 Jan 29, 2008
Perhaps it's time for the state to consider dissolving the Akron School Board and District, and placing Akron schools under the jurisdiction of the County System. At least that would solve any problems with the Akron Board members. A start anyhow. Anyone got better ideas? Thinking "kids first"?
Paulette Page Faile

Loganville, GA

#4 Jan 29, 2008
To Whom It May Concern,
For years I have beeb living with a very traumatizing event that took place in an Akron Public School, when I was a mere eight years old, so there has been quit a long time since the situation took place. Here is the story. It took place at the old Robinson Elementary School, when I was in the third grade, I believe the year was 1953, the teacher was a Ms. Ruth Roetzel, the Principal was, Mr. Dreisbaugh. It was the day "the Circus came to town". Because my parents decided that I should ride downtown to the circus with a next door neighbor, instead of riding the bus, Ms. Roetzel decided to take me,alone, down to the boiler room,(basement), and humiliate me with her
horrible talk, and name calling, and the to strike me across the face several times, and threatened me if I told anyone of what she had done. After about two of three days, my Mother noticed that I was withdrawn, and not at all myself, and then I broke into tears of sobbing, and told my Mother of the incident. She then went to see Mr. Dreisbaugh. I was taken out of school, not Ms Roetzel. There was about 3 weeks left in the school year, Mr. Dreishbaugh said I should not finish the school year. I don't think there was any investigation, or reprecussions concerning Ms. Roetzels actions. She also was cruel in the class room,and looking back on her actions, she was obscene, vulgar, and totally out of her mind, dancing and twirly around the class room, call all of us names,like "white trash" and "black crows". We as children, did not know any better, we did not know that she was probably insane, or some terribly emotional illness. But she got by with it, BECAUSE---her brother was a
"big time", high profile attorney in Akron. And they came from a ver prominent family in Copley, Ohio.
Is there anyone out there, that remembers Ruth Roetzel, and the tragic happenings at Robinson Elementary School ? Yes it has been a long time --but I still believe there is justice somewher out there. We all here things that happen in these tumultuous times, but these kind of things have been going on for a long, long, time. It is nothing new. Please help me get this word out, I am a Grandmother now, God help the person that ever does anything to my Grandchildren like that.
Paulette Page Faile

Loganville, GA

#5 Jan 29, 2008
To contact me concerning the "Robinson School"
and teacher Ruth Roetzel, and the abuse that took place there at that school.
my e-mail is:
PPage2@Mindspring.com
Address: 804 Warnock Way
Woodstock, Georgia 30188
Sincerely,
Paulette Page Faile

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Since: Mar 07

Your Neighbor & Friend

#6 Jan 30, 2008
Paulette Page Faile wrote:
To contact me concerning the "Robinson School"
and teacher Ruth Roetzel, and the abuse that took place there at that school.
my e-mail is:
PPage2@Mindspring.com
Address: 804 Warnock Way
Woodstock, Georgia 30188
Sincerely,
Paulette Page Faile
I would suggest that every time a similar issue arises on this board (and sadly we know it will), that you would briefly repeat this info. Thanks to the power of the Internet, someone of influence will surely take note sooner or later. God Bless you, and let's keep praying for the safety and well-being of all the little ones daily placed in harm's way by harmful teachers and administrators who look the other way.
akronnative

Clinton, OH

#7 Jan 30, 2008
Cloverine Fleetwood wrote:
Another unspoken truth is that the number of candidates is a sign that folks do not want to work for the seven elected Board members.
Especially Queen Omobien! No one in his/her right mind would want to answer to Omobien, the consummate prima donna. She is an administrator at CSS, when by all rights she should instead be a long-time client. She is a textbook case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder--and therefore only emotionally capable of ever putting herself first.

I feel so sorry for the kids who attend APS.
Cindy

Cleveland, OH

#8 Jan 30, 2008
I hope the job goes to someone who can DO the job.
Also, someone needs to take a hard look at the supporting staff.
Cloverine Fleetwood

Mogadore, OH

#9 Jan 30, 2008
akronnative wrote:
<quoted text>
Especially Queen Omobien! No one in his/her right mind would want to answer to Omobien, the consummate prima donna. She is an administrator at CSS, when by all rights she should instead be a long-time client. She is a textbook case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder--and therefore only emotionally capable of ever putting herself first.
I feel so sorry for the kids who attend APS.
I had had dealings with Mrs. Omobien as a Board member and must agree with you. If voters knew how she really acted out as a Board member of the public view, those who voted for her would shake their heads. She is truly appalling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belpre Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 2 hr Dindu Nuffins 30,480
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 20 Marvin Levels 188
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) Aug 2 gary 2,230
Michael Barrett of belpre (Mar '13) Jul '14 michael 2
OH Who do you support for Auditor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Jul '14 They cannot kill ... 231
OH Who do you support for Secretary of State in Oh... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Bobby Nye 178
don't buy bongs from Star Fire (May '13) May '14 Johnathan of Belpre 4
•••
•••
•••

Belpre Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Belpre People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••