Girl, 2, dies in southeast Ohio fire | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 14 comments on the Oct 19, 2010, Columbus Dispatch story titled Girl, 2, dies in southeast Ohio fire | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A toddler has died in a fire in southeast Ohio that destroyed one of two adjoining homes and heavily damaged the other.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Befuddled

Athens, OH

#1 Oct 19, 2010
no smoke alarms and a two-year-old in the house? THAT's criminal.
Citizen

Lewis Center, OH

#2 Oct 19, 2010
It's a very poor area. Maybe they could afford the alarms and batteries. Every year the poor die, often because they are using dangerous heating sources. I feel sorry for them.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#3 Oct 19, 2010
How is 'Belpre' pronounced?
Lazy

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#4 Oct 19, 2010
Bell-Pre long e sound at the end
Big Johnson wrote:
How is 'Belpre' pronounced?
JRW

Columbus, OH

#5 Oct 19, 2010
Citizen wrote:
It's a very poor area. Maybe they could afford the alarms and batteries. Every year the poor die, often because they are using dangerous heating sources. I feel sorry for them.
Smoke alarms are $9 and the fire department gives out free batteries every year. No excuse.
Michael99

Marietta, OH

#6 Oct 19, 2010
Agreed, there's no excuse for no smoke detectors, but think how the parents must feel now. A little compassion please. As for Pataskala Citizen's comment, it's very patronizing to think that everything and everybody in southeast Ohio is "very poor." Belpre (pop 6,500)is a suburb of Parkersburg, WV. Its income and education levels are about average for Ohio. Quit blanketing a quarter of the state with your stereotype.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#7 Oct 19, 2010
Lazy wrote:
Bell-Pre long e sound at the end
<quoted text>
Rhymes with 'belfrey'? Thanks! I always imagined it pronounced as two separate words with a short 'e' or 'ay'; as in,'Bell Pray, Uhyuh'.
Lazy

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#8 Oct 19, 2010
no! bellpree. no f sound
Lazy

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#9 Oct 19, 2010
oops! guess I didn't read it right! just kidding!
The Craw

Columbus, OH

#10 Oct 19, 2010
Lazy wrote:
no! bellpree. no f sound
Not Craw, Craw!
parent

Bellevue, OH

#11 Oct 19, 2010
No matter how poor or rich they were,on the smoke detector idiots posting. The point EVERYONE seems to be missing is that, The childs parents made it out ?!? If my house was ablaze & MY kids inside , I aint going out without them period! God be with you little one....
vern

Lancaster, OH

#12 Oct 19, 2010
rip little one - u r now an angel in GOD'S arms
BelpreNative

Rocky Mount, NC

#13 Oct 20, 2010
Citizen wrote:
It's a very poor area. Maybe they could afford the alarms and batteries. Every year the poor die, often because they are using dangerous heating sources. I feel sorry for them.
You say this a poor area, have you ever been to Belpre? It is a very nice middle class town with good people and you should not judge if you don't know.By the way for everyone's information Belpre is French for Beautiful Prarie as it was given by the French settlers that came here as they pushed west.
Thats Crazy

Parkersburg, WV

#14 Oct 29, 2010
Most people here are upper middle. The remainder is low middle, there are hardly any that could be considered "poor" here and none "very poor".
The fire was in the house next door anyway. It wasn't really their responsibility to have alarms in that house, it was the owner of that house.
However, the little girl was over there as I understand it. Not sure why she was in the empty house, but I believe that is what the news said

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belpre Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Burglaries (Sep '14) Apr 1 I know 3
News Coolville man pleads guilty to arson Mar 28 Family 1
Review: Toll Compaction Group Mar '15 FuckTCLLCInc 3
Ashley Arthur Feb '15 sick of it 4
matt miller Feb '15 steph 1
Bob Crum Horace Mann Jan '15 AGK 1
need to find a stolen motocycles check here Dec '14 crooked as bow l... 3
More from around the web

Belpre People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]