South American bird finds Wisconsin home

Full story: Chicago Tribune

Joan Salzberg planted her backyard garden with flowers, shrubs and trees she hoped would attract wild birds to the tiny wooden houses, baths and feeders she strategically placed outside her kitchen window.
Comments
1 - 12 of 12 Comments Last updated Nov 1, 2007
ronnie woowoo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2007

liked this story

good local interest
Reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2007

From what I've heard you are not supposed to have hummingbird feeders out this late in the season. It may prevent normal migration that needs to occur for the bird to survive (be gone before winter.)
myobmom

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

Live in MtMorris ,IL and we have had this bird at our feeder. Can I tell you it takes over and won't let the smaller hummingbirds feed .We have seen it many times. We are in the same general area as Beloit.
foxriverguy

Barrington, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

My oh my. Looks like this poor bird has stirred up a bit of a hornet's nest. Relax everybody.
talia

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

This is an excellent article. Just last week a bystander in a beautiful Arizona botanical garden remarked that there is only one type of hummingbird in northern states. It is always inspiring to see that there are serendipitous surprises in the beauty of nature.
iris hartman-scottsda le

Surprise, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

Uplifting article. Hooray for the Green Breasted Mango Hummingbird who "is perhaps a wrong way Corrigan" and who was able to make it to Wisconsin and give so many bird lovers such bliss!
Bird Guy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

Reality wrote:
From what I've heard you are not supposed to have hummingbird feeders out this late in the season. It may prevent normal migration that needs to occur for the bird to survive (be gone before winter.)
Bad information. The opposite is true. Feeders are put out to assist the late migrants, the stragglers.
Bird Guy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

myobmom wrote:
Live in MtMorris ,IL and we have had this bird at our feeder. Can I tell you it takes over and won't let the smaller hummingbirds feed .We have seen it many times. We are in the same general area as Beloit.
Interesting, if true.
Stateline

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

How did rare hummingbird get to Wisconsin? "Hitchiked?"
harlowbiel

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2007

myobmom wrote:
Telephone the local Audubon Society, SPCA, or animal rehab center, and invite someone to come out and identify the bird
naftz78

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2007

I have been feeding hummingbirds for over 30 years, but unfortunately we only have the ruby throat in our area. What a thrill it must be to see this beautiful hummingbird!
Sandi

Roscoe, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2007

Awesome. With the last couple days being colder I suppose it headed south again.

I linked several other sources for the story on my Janesville News Forum (at end of post).

http://vistaoncurrentevents.com/forum/index.p...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Beloit Discussions

Search the Beloit Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) 13 hr Teabilly Heaven 7,012
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) 16 hr BOBBY 452
Illegal auto repair in residential netghborhood Jul 21 Just about done 1
Lots of religion Jul 20 Sailboat1107 4
Janesville Woman arrested in stabbing incident Jul 20 K Karnopp 1
Robert George Schmidt, Janesville, WI Jun '14 K Karnopp 1
County hires O'Rourke as psychiatrist Jun '14 humanSpirit 1
•••
•••
•••
Beloit Dating

more search filters

less search filters