sortanew

Salisbury, NC

#1 Feb 4, 2008
Hi everyone - this is a question I've had since I moved to Belmont 5 years ago - why is the BCO only open during business hours during the week? It's frustrating to me because both my husband and I work in Charlotte, and we would like to donate nice used items to the BCO, rather than take them down to the Salvation Army, but the place just isn't opened when I'm home on the evenings or weekends. I did manage to run back to Belmont to drop off our Christmas Angel this year, and I was so excited to see all the gifts for BELMONT children, that it reinforced my desire to give here in this community - but again, that's almost impossible for me to do because nobody is there to take my donations when I'm home. Does anyone know if they're only hampered by lack of volunteers for those times?- or if it's something else? I know I could give up a Saturday every month to help, and I'm sure there are others who could do the same.
Irl Dixon

Raleigh, NC

#2 Feb 4, 2008
Good question that I don't know the answer to. They don't like you to abandon things on their loading dock either. I work in Belmont and I have a hard time getting over there when I have things to donate. I would call and ask if they can use help. I think they might pick up items occassionally. One of the past chairmen use to say all you needed to be named chairman was a pick-up truck.

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#3 Feb 5, 2008
I would be great if they were at least open 3-4 hours Saturday as what you have all said is true.

I have dropped off some very nice things on the dock on Saturday and wondered if they ever got them. Then I heard they didn't like that.

Recently I've started using the drive up drop off at Goodwill at Franklin Square. They help you unload the car and hand you the tax form. It's very convenient.

Of course, I would rather give to the BCO, if they were open.

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#4 Feb 5, 2008
Another good idea for BCO would be to set up a simple website with PayPal for online donations.
needed help

United States

#6 Dec 13, 2012
When u need help the lady at the front desk isnt very nice anyway. She makes people afraid to ask for help..Is she running it by herself?
THIS IS A FACT JACK

Concord, NC

#7 Dec 13, 2012
needed help wrote:
When u need help the lady at the front desk isnt very nice anyway. She makes people afraid to ask for help..Is she running it by herself?
Not sure you need much help if you money for internet access? They do a fine job down there.
judge not

Gastonia, NC

#8 Dec 14, 2012
You don't know me so don't judge me.
BM
unfriendlytim

Gastonia, NC

#9 Dec 14, 2012
BCO is a great organization and has helped hundreds of families and needy people every month. They had some issues with people using their dock nas a dumping ground for unwanted junk that was not what the poor actually need so they became more particular about their donations. It is very costly to weed out the usable from the non usable items and they dont have the manpower to handle it efficiently. Be thoughtful in your efforts at helping, and if leaving itmes on the dock after hours, try and be sure they are items worthy of distribution and helpful to those in need. There are alot places in town that accept things on their behalf, so just ask around.
Ridin By

Gastonia, NC

#10 Dec 15, 2012
unfriendlytim wrote:
BCO is a great organization and has helped hundreds of families and needy people every month. They had some issues with people using their dock nas a dumping ground for unwanted junk that was not what the poor actually need so they became more particular about their donations. It is very costly to weed out the usable from the non usable items and they dont have the manpower to handle it efficiently. Be thoughtful in your efforts at helping, and if leaving itmes on the dock after hours, try and be sure they are items worthy of distribution and helpful to those in need. There are alot places in town that accept things on their behalf, so just ask around.
Nobody is questioning whether or not its a great organization - that's the point. They are great. It is NOT easy for working folks to get to them. They need at least one night a week a few hours on weekends when some volunteers will man the place for those who want to help to be able to come. It's that simple. I, like others, have donated somewhere else ( good things) because they were not open. I don't know anywhere you can donate to them besides at their place- list those places.
concerned citizen

Gastonia, NC

#11 Dec 15, 2012
needed help wrote:
When u need help the lady at the front desk isnt very nice anyway. She makes people afraid to ask for help..Is she running it by herself?
I do not know to whom you are referring that was at the front desk. I doubt it was Paula, the director. She is a caring person with a warm smile and great sense of humor. I cannot see her intimadating anyone. She treats the clients with respect.( have seen her in action... I am a weekly volunteer.)
Fact Jaxass

Charlotte, NC

#12 Dec 15, 2012
THIS IS A FACT JACK wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure you need much help if you money for internet access? They do a fine job down there.
If you were able to comprehend such a simple yet brilliant idea from post#4 then your complete ignorance with your first sentence wouldn't have been posted you ass. Your second sentence is spot on. Get a life Jimmy!
Joker

Charlotte, NC

#13 Dec 15, 2012
concerned citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not know to whom you are referring that was at the front desk. I doubt it was Paula, the director. She is a caring person with a warm smile and great sense of humor. I cannot see her intimadating anyone. She treats the clients with respect.( have seen her in action... I am a weekly volunteer.)
what..screwing george.
Volunteer

Charlotte, NC

#14 Dec 15, 2012
Ridin By wrote:
<quoted text>
Nobody is questioning whether or not its a great organization - that's the point. They are great. It is NOT easy for working folks to get to them. They need at least one night a week a few hours on weekends when some volunteers will man the place for those who want to help to be able to come. It's that simple. I, like others, have donated somewhere else ( good things) because they were not open. I don't know anywhere you can donate to them besides at their place- list those places.
Key words are "when some volunteers will man the place". They don't have enough volunteers. With all the time people designate being on this forum, just 3 hours a week or 1 hour/3 days a week would be monumental; especially during Christmas and winter. Think about it. Thank You.
Real estate guy

Gastonia, NC

#15 Dec 15, 2012
Joker wrote:
<quoted text>what..screwing george.
Your user name starts with the right letter, however, jackass would be more accurate.
ReadyWilling

Gastonia, NC

#16 Dec 16, 2012
Volunteer wrote:
<quoted text>Key words are "when some volunteers will man the place". They don't have enough volunteers. With all the time people designate being on this forum, just 3 hours a week or 1 hour/3 days a week would be monumental; especially during Christmas and winter. Think about it. Thank You.
I get a letter once a year asking for a donation, but they never talk about needing volunteers. I think if they improved their communications, people would respond. No one knows what to do or whom to contact. It seems kind of a " closed shop". Communicate more and more people will respond. For instance, do they have a Facebook page?
Keith

Belmont, NC

#17 Dec 16, 2012
The BCO needs washers and dryers to clean some of the clothes that come in,but a lot of the volunteers are opposed of this idea. Dont know why???
Non smoker

Charlotte, NC

#18 Dec 16, 2012
Keith wrote:
The BCO needs washers and dryers to clean some of the clothes that come in,but a lot of the volunteers are opposed of this idea. Dont know why???
Many of the clothes smell like smoke amongst other odors. Again not enough volunteers.
An idea

Charlotte, NC

#19 Dec 18, 2012
Call them! This isn't productive at all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belmont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Big things happening in Cramerton 16 hr whitey mcwhitington 3
Hookers May 17 Eatsumpie 6
News Videos of drivers in Belmont uploaded to YouTube (Jun '14) May 17 Mikesmybitch 140
News Doctor accused of trading female patients drugs... May 13 Big Mike 1
Haunted Mill/Fred Bailey (Sep '09) May 10 Kaileykaydenmom 36
God at Ridgeview Baptist? May 9 leroy pope 1
Stanley joined AYFL (Mar '17) May 7 football fan 24

Belmont Jobs

Personal Finance

Belmont Mortgages