Community prays for girl injured on swing set

Full story: WOOD-TV Grand Rapids and Michigan

A young girl remains in the hospital in critical condition, as family and friends join one another in prayer.
Comments
1 - 20 of 35 Comments Last updated May 5, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Jonbob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

I have a hard time picturing how getting "tangled in a swing set" can leave a girl in critical condition. Despite going to the trouble of dragging an engineer out to a playground, this article doesn't bother to explain what happened to the girl.

Hope she gets better soon though.
ellie

Jenison, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

Our prayers are with your family. Praying for
God's peace to surround you and a for a miracle for hannah.
Gramma

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

The reality of this situation is so sad. She got caught in the ropes because her and her little friend were twisting and spinning on the swings. The sad thing is, this little girl may have been without oxygen for too long. They found her unconscious and by the time the paramedics arrived, 3 to 4 minutes had gone by without support. I have seen this too many times in my work in the medical field.

Keep this little girl and her family in your prayers. I sure will.
Just me

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2008

This was such a tragic accident. I pray that she can pull through. This just shows how important the buddy system is. Being a mother of three with number four due in a few weeks, I know it is impossible to watch your child every second. But thankfully this little girl's playmate was able to get her some help. Who knows how long she would have been there if she were playing alone. I hope everyone learns from this and talks to their children about safety, and always sticking together.
a rational outlook

Filion, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Parent, please, please, please learn CPR. It's a 3 hour class at the Red Cross. I made my mother and husband take it while I was pregnant. I renew mine every year through work. Every babysitter I used had to know it too. They can live with a broken arm, but not if they're not breathing.
mitchell jordan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

i am from grand rapids not wixom but iam still praying for the little girls along with everybody else.i know with our praying she will get our strength and be okay
Mary and Kim

Whitehall, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

We will join in agreement with you over the childs healing. When God is in the house, miracles happen!

Since: Mar 08

kalamazoo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Well said,
this is a a little girls life at stake and deserves only positive responses. If you don't believe in prayer power at least "be nice" regarding this little girls situation and show compassion.
Amy wrote:
<quoted text>
Scott, why say that? Just because you can doesn't mean you should. Whether or not you believe in prayer is irrelevent; the family does so that is what matters right now. I am not a particularly religious person, but care deeply for humankind. If you want to further your message, do so in a different setting than one in which a small child is critical. It's too sensitive a subject. I will pray for the child because whether or not it helps, I know it doesn't hurt.
justin

East Lansing, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

no, times like this do not call for faith and useless quotes about mustard seeds and mountains.

Times like this require practical involvement in the childs care, realistic viewpoints, and an understanding of what went wrong, and how this can be prevented in the future.

If this poor girl dies, or sustains lifelong imperative injuries, they will say its gods will. If she recovers they will claim miracle. This is not helpful or productive.
GR_Mom_of_Five

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

My heart, thoughts and prayers go out to this family.

And to Scott... You remind me of one of my favorite quotes:

"That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it, you can't understand it, and if you do have it, no explanation is necessary."
Just me

Grand Haven, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

justin wrote:
no, times like this do not call for faith and useless quotes about mustard seeds and mountains.
Times like this require practical involvement in the childs care, realistic viewpoints, and an understanding of what went wrong, and how this can be prevented in the future.
If this poor girl dies, or sustains lifelong imperative injuries, they will say its gods will. If she recovers they will claim miracle. This is not helpful or productive.
What's done is done. Would it have been helpful if the mom did cpr? Who knows. I'm an EMT, so I know all kinds of life saving skills. But will I be able to do them on my own child? So who's to say she doesn't know cpr. Who knows how they will be able to react when it is your child. I hope I'll never be put to that test. That family is feeling utterly helpless right now because ALL they can do is pray and ask for prayers. The rest is in the health care professionals hands.

The last thing the family needs is to see a post where someone is blaming them for not preforming cpr. I'm positive the family is already blaming themselves. None of us where on the scene. We have no idea what the mother tried to do, or did.

If the family wants prayers, I will pray for them.
Pam

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

The truth of the matter is she is someone's beautiful and cherished little girl - they are facing an extreme test of faith right now - may God be with Hannah and her family. I also am an RN and have seen many miracles take place - we can only pray with them for her healing as they have requested!! May God bless you!

“...all but 6...UNLESS”

The Merry Ol Land Of Oz

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

I am hoping for a Miracle for this family; according to the GR Press, Dr.'s began taking her off things yesterday and the next two days are critical

“...all but 6...UNLESS”

The Merry Ol Land Of Oz

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Doctors began to raise Hannah's core temperature Saturday and wean her off some medications so her brain has a chance to heal from the injury, Cook said after the service. Sunday and Monday will be critical days in her recovery, he said. She remained in critical condition Saturday night.
Catattack

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

I can't count the number of times I was told as a child "do not twist up the swing" but it's so fun to twirl around in the unwind..

I don't think any playground is going to be without some hazards. it wasn't a broken piece of equipment that cause the accident was it? I hope that all swings aren't removed from play equipment because of this.

I've watched my own children wind up in the swing just to spin around as it untwists itself.

Prayers to the family and for the sweet child that was just trying to have some fun!

“...all but 6...UNLESS”

The Merry Ol Land Of Oz

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
"If this poor girl dies, or sustains lifelong imperative injuries, they will say its gods will. If she recovers they will claim miracle."
Could not have put it better myself, those ARE the two main answers for bible thumpers and bible thumper pushers.
I've thought from a very young age, is it also "Gods Will" when someone is murdered, raped, kids are molested, raped, abused. Or when loved ones die agonizing, slow deaths from cancer or other things
Scott,
So you're an athiest and do not believe in G-d? which makes your post a little confusing because you claimed that people are Praying to air basically, when they Pray, yet you then state that you believe in G-d's will

Which is it?
Kateybug

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Scott have you seen "Unsolved Mysteries?" An actual scientific study was done to see if prayer had any affect on the recovery of patients. Guess what? It had a significant affect in the outcome for the complete recovery. So pray on people!!!! For those who don't believe: know what you are talking about before you open you mouth it just make you look...
God Bless all of you,
Bible thumper Kateybug

“...all but 6...UNLESS”

The Merry Ol Land Of Oz

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
I've thought from a very young age, is it also "Gods Will" when someone is murdered, raped, kids are molested, raped, abused. Or when loved ones die agonizing, slow deaths from cancer or other things etc.
???

“...all but 6...UNLESS”

The Merry Ol Land Of Oz

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

Kateybug wrote:
Scott have you seen "Unsolved Mysteries?" An actual scientific study was done to see if prayer had any affect on the recovery of patients. Guess what? It had a significant affect in the outcome for the complete recovery. So pray on people!!!! For those who don't believe: know what you are talking about before you open you mouth it just make you look...
God Bless all of you,
Bible thumper Kateybug
And other studies have concluded that Prayer is nothing more than a psychological benefit to the one doing the Praying
just sayin

Grand Rapids, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2008

My thoughts and prayers are with the family and Hannah today and ever since this tragic accident happened last week. I hope that she will get well and will be able to hug her parents again and say "I love you" which is the best medicine for her parents right now..To everyone reading this..Pray for the family and hope for the best.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Belmont Discussions

Search the Belmont Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Juneteenth - " celebrating the end of slavery 4 min Oneal 718
Old things and places we remember from the Gran... (Feb '09) 2 hr Torch14th 931
Grand Rapids Police Close The Books On An Unsol... 4 hr Go Blue Forever 1
Why do people act ghetto? I am talking about al... (Dec '12) 4 hr mosey on downa hoedown 35
Is Terri Lynn Land a slumlord? (Jan '12) 16 hr Arthur 78
More Lois Lerner Email Shenanigans Thu Oneal 4
Local News Women (Apr '09) Wed SOS in Mesa 2,293
•••
•••
•••
Belmont Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Belmont Jobs

•••