Richard K

Grand Rapids, MI

#787 Aug 4, 2012
Anyone remember the name of a cafeteria with nothing but tons of glass window vending machines ?
Located downtown real close to the old YMCA.
Bob in Oregon

Eugene, OR

#788 Sep 7, 2012
I can't believe people remember the Butter Wagon! I worked there as a dish washer in the early 1980's when I was attending high school in Allendale. It was a fun place to work, mostly because of the insane cooks and other dish washers.
Rob Burgess

Grand Rapids, MI

#789 Sep 8, 2012
GilmourGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob, his brother Jim and longtime friend Jim Black owned the Bavarian Inn across from the Shamrock. Mousetrap was up the street a block or so... Bob may not have had an interest in it now that I think about it. WHAT crazy, crazy places those 2 joints were.
Not sure if Bob Sullivan had an interest in the bar or not. He sure liked to hang out there with us younger folk.
I remember two groups in particular that could draw a crowd: Oz and Sunnuva. Oz played pretty much what we would call classic rock. Sunnuva had a flamboyant lead singer who the girls all loved. They played some of there own music and music more in the line of The Cars or Cheap Trick, as I recall.
Pemgirl57

United States

#790 Oct 20, 2012
Glass hut...best wet burritos! Skipped many a class from Davenpot College to eat there!
Godwin Girl

Rockford, MI

#791 Oct 25, 2012
Jenison Girl wrote:
What about Casa Castillo on 28th Street? The Satellite restaurant in Jenison by the old Union Bank??
Yay! Casa's! It was THE place to go after a night of dancing & drinking. I was addicted to its tacos so bad.
Godwin Girl

Rockford, MI

#792 Oct 25, 2012
Rob Burgess wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sure if Bob Sullivan had an interest in the bar or not. He sure liked to hang out there with us younger folk.
I remember two groups in particular that could draw a crowd: Oz and Sunnuva. Oz played pretty much what we would call classic rock. Sunnuva had a flamboyant lead singer who the girls all loved. They played some of there own music and music more in the line of The Cars or Cheap Trick, as I recall.
The Bavarian with the disgusting red shag layering the floors, booths, walls. Oz & Sunnofa were pretty good. But come on, Yuwanna was the best Class A band of that era. Steve, Mitch, Greg, Jeff--you guys rocked! They had a second excellent drummer...Chris?
Rain

Grand Rapids, MI

#793 Oct 30, 2012
That haunted house out on Division and 92nd... wow! A friend of mine was renting it years ago, and we all used to hang out there. There was a glass sun room at the top of the house? Peacocks too, lolz!
Rain

Grand Rapids, MI

#794 Oct 30, 2012
Rain wrote:
That haunted house out on Division and 92nd... wow! A friend of mine was renting it years ago, and we all used to hang out there. There was a glass sun room at the top of the house? Peacocks too, lolz!
Unless I'm just confusing it with another former haunted house on the outskirts of GR.
Miller3458

Grand Rapids, MI

#795 Nov 11, 2012
uh oh wrote:
There used to be a grocery on the corner of 36th and Clyde Park, SW corner, called Veisho's ( I know it was not spelled that way) and there was a giant 3D cow's head on the sign. Anybody remember this?
My Mom and neighbor both worked there until in closed in the late 60's or early 70's. They were both cashiers then. I always liked going there with my mom to do our weekly shopping. I can still remember the layout of the store after all these years.
It's now a bingo hall or used to be. It's called the Brittany or was at one point. There was a Sunoco Station on the corner now a CVS. Those were the day's. Remember Lou Deyoung's now Big Top?
Godwin Girl

Rockford, MI

#796 Nov 15, 2012
Miller3458 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Mom and neighbor both worked there until in closed in the late 60's or early 70's. They were both cashiers then. I always liked going there with my mom to do our weekly shopping. I can still remember the layout of the store after all these years.
It's now a bingo hall or used to be. It's called the Brittany or was at one point. There was a Sunoco Station on the corner now a CVS. Those
were the day's. Remember Lou Deyoung's now Big Top?
I believe it's Vecio's. Before that it was Plumbs. I lived 2 blocks from there on Marcia. It now has a pediatrician's office and an Asian restaurant. Vecio's had those neat vending machines by the doors with rings and little rubber Humpty
Dumpties. You had to step on the black mat to make the doors open.

Lou DeYoung's is still there. They changed the name to Big Top Market but DeYoungs still own it. Leathermans and Palermo's and Suburban 5 & 10 are still there, too.
Godwin Girl

Rockford, MI

#797 Nov 15, 2012
Godwin Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bavarian with the disgusting red shag layering the floors, booths, walls. Oz & Sunnofa were pretty good. But come on, Yuwanna was the best Class A band of that era. Steve, Mitch, Greg, Jeff--you guys rocked! They had a second excellent drummer...Chris?
Brian Chrisman was the drummer.
GRHistorian

Rochester, NY

#798 Nov 20, 2012
The Christmas lights in downtown G.R. back in the 60s and 70s!
Fred

Caledonia, MI

#799 Nov 20, 2012
I remember when there weren't 50 panhandlers on every street corner, brought to you by Mayor Heartwell - what a clown.
Cindi

Nashville, TN

#800 Nov 25, 2012
JWM wrote:
<quoted text> Westra's?
it was called Mr. Fables! The Grease dripped down your chin!
Cindi

Nashville, TN

#801 Nov 25, 2012
upnorthscott wrote:
HERPOLSHIMERS! My grandma used to take me there every Christmas.
The train and little kids ride around the ceiling?!
Cindi

Nashville, TN

#802 Nov 25, 2012
twisted wrote:
Does anyone remember Farrows ice cream parlor that used to be by Woodland Mall? My parents took me there a lot, and if you ordered a Farrows Zoo they would bring it out on a stretcher and have a siren going while running through the restuarant with it.
It was Farrell's! If you could sa "Farrell's features fabulous food and fantastic fountain fantasies for frolicking fun filled festive families" then you got a free rope of licorice!
rusted

Union, MO

#803 Jan 7, 2013
Does anyone remember the gravel pit.. That you swim in.. Right off of plainfield? I remember going there with my family
Eltemonte Billy Bob

Rockford, MI

#805 Jan 19, 2013
Great forum!
Godwin Girl

Grand Rapids, MI

#806 Mar 11, 2013
Versluis Park is the old gravel pit off Plainfield & the Beltline. Very nice play & swim park now
Hudsie Boy

Hudsonville, MI

#807 Mar 11, 2013
Remember Eds Grille in Hudsonville. Best burgers and shakes in town. Of course they had the only burgers in town back then.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belmont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jesus Steals Christmas Back From Satan 4 hr Who 6
Al Sharpton's Marchers in New York City Chant "... 5 hr same old stuff 11
pope-a-dope 8 hr Really 3
welcome to the new black america 8 hr Really 6
Experience a historical Christmas in downtown G... 17 hr DrX 71
Review: Kitten Flower Boutique 22 hr Brit 1
AAD Annie Fri bobolinq 1
Belmont Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web