grnative

Lyndhurst, NJ

#1 Jun 16, 2009
Ok folks, stop harrassing the eagles on 12mile. Too much human interaction and they will abandon the chicks and the nest. To watch a live nest camera click here ! http://www.dukefarms.org/page.asp...

according to site;
"Bald Eagles are extremely sensitive to human distrubance. At no time should anyone approach nesting eagles. People who want to observe or photograph eagles and who come too close may acually cause the birds to abandon a nest"
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Jun 16, 2009
grnative wrote:
Ok folks, stop harrassing the eagles on 12mile. Too much human interaction and they will abandon the chicks and the nest. To watch a live nest camera click here ! http://www.dukefarms.org/page.asp...
according to site;
"Bald Eagles are extremely sensitive to human distrubance. At no time should anyone approach nesting eagles. People who want to observe or photograph eagles and who come too close may acually cause the birds to abandon a nest"
People stand by the roadside and it's a good 100 yds. with a swamp between. People were whispering and just watching when I was there, hardly disturbing.
grnative

Lyndhurst, NJ

#3 Jun 16, 2009
Do you really think 100 yards and a swamp hides a crowd of "whispering" people, cars and trucks running, radios, beeping of phones, clicks of cameras, the smell of humans and the rattling of the grounds cant be heard by an EAGLE?
thats funny.

I guess its worth them to be abandoned so you can "SEE" them, please click on the link, you can actually watch a nest.
Are you new here

Holland, MI

#4 Jun 16, 2009
grnative wrote:
Do you really think 100 yards and a swamp hides a crowd of "whispering" people, cars and trucks running, radios, beeping of phones, clicks of cameras, the smell of humans and the rattling of the grounds cant be heard by an EAGLE?
thats funny.
I guess its worth them to be abandoned so you can "SEE" them, please click on the link, you can actually watch a nest.
You must be new to Topix, otherwise you would know that Alvin knows everything and does nothing wrong...thanks for the link.
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#5 Jun 16, 2009
Are you new here wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be new to Topix, otherwise you would know that Alvin knows everything and does nothing wrong...thanks for the link.
Don't know where that came from, I just try not to open my mouth too often about things I know nothing about. I have been watching another link with a live eagle cam almost daily. Can't imagine with all the attention these eagles have gotten that the DNR wouldn't have stepped in to protect them if necessary. BTW, never remember reading from someone called "Are you new here" just could you be someone that doesn't agree with me politically, just a thought.

Since: Apr 09

Wyoming

#6 Jun 16, 2009
Are you new here wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny, who are you to make such a statement about Alvin? While I don't always agree with Alvin's point of view she doesn't make personal attacks on other posters.
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#7 Jun 16, 2009
ladydragonfly wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny, who are you to make such a statement about Alvin? While I don't always agree with Alvin's point of view she doesn't make personal attacks on other posters.
Thank you "lady" I really did need that, kind of was going to make for a poopy morning :)

Since: Apr 09

Wyoming

#8 Jun 16, 2009
grnative wrote:
thats funny.
Seriously, I haven't been out there myself for fear of disturbing the Eagles as you state, but I do have a question regarding the Eagle cam you linked. How is placing a camera above an Eagles nest for video streaming online or putting bands on the eaglets any less disruptive? Why would the parents not abandon the nest after the babies were handled by humans?
grnative

Lyndhurst, NJ

#9 Jun 16, 2009
well it does disrupt them. But dont quickly and by a team professionals when the parents were out of the nest. You can not equate that with hundreds of joe public with vechiles.

You will email the team at the site to ask them for further information as to when they installed the camera. Read up about eagles , where they go in winter, how they nest to understand when they may of put up the camera, that once installed should be silent and as you can tell it does not move around.

I think its just sad, that when people see something they are willing to flock and chase it away all for the moment that "THEY " get to SEE it , to heck with everything else.
I guess its part of the "all about me" society we live in.

I dont post on here much, I did not know it was all about the debate.

And I did hear that they are making it a fine and illegal stopping at the point where the people have been flooding to.
As for the DNR, I dont think there are many of them left and they can not patrol the roads like the police can, and looks like they are doing.

by by

Since: Oct 08

Jackson, MI

#10 Jun 16, 2009
ladydragonfly wrote:
<quoted text>
Seriously, I haven't been out there myself for fear of disturbing the Eagles as you state, but I do have a question regarding the Eagle cam you linked. How is placing a camera above an Eagles nest for video streaming online or putting bands on the eaglets any less disruptive? Why would the parents not abandon the nest after the babies were handled by humans?
The eagles in the Virginia Botanical Garden just sort of fly around or sit in another tree while the Biologists remove the eaglets from the nest for weighing/banding/etc ... they haven't abandoned their chicks ever ...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belmont Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Back in Iraq. WMD's? oil? 6 min Idea Maker 72
Obama's new approval rating at 38% (Mar '14) 1 hr pipedream 110
Who do you support for Secretary of State in Mi... (Oct '10) 6 hr JAH 170
Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in M... (Oct '10) 7 hr gamy 97
why war with isis? 8 hr Mike 22
White House Fence Jumper Petition 8 hr Mike 2
President O'Blama' Punts Again 8 hr Oneal 18
•••
Belmont Dating

more search filters