Groups want Belmar mayor to visit Staten Island

Full story: Newsday
Two groups want Belmar Mayor Ken Pringle to visit the borough, or else. Pringle has said he's sorry for disparaging comments he made in the town's July 4 newsletter, which played on stereotypes featuring ... Full Story
Paul

Deer Park, NY

#1 Jul 18, 2008
As a born and raised Belmartian, I'll be the first to support localism and voice my opposition of Bennies and the harm that (some of them) do. However, the mayor's comments were way out of line, especially for a person in his position. Pringle has been ruining the town for years now, with his botched "development" plans aimed at pushing out good local folks and businesses in an effort to turn Belmar into his own investment-scheme fantasy world.

Get rid of the arcade to make way for huge ugly houses? Why not, who cares if the kids have no place to go or nothing to do.

Let's develop a seaport, the mayor already owns piece of it! And let's do it underneath a dirty bridge, next to a bar and behind the ugly police station! That'll get the tourists flocking (as long as they're not from Staten Island).

Make it illegal to play soccer on the ball fields? Of course, everyone knows playing sports and getting exercise on a public field is a terrilbe thing that only horrible people would think of doing, let's ban it. The next group to go? Pedestrians on sidewalks, they're practically terrorists.

Is there even a Belmar Youth Club anymore? Oh that's right, we stopped caring about the kids. Better make it illegal to skateboard as well, don't want those kids getting exercise and learning a sport based on self-discipline, they might start thinking for themselves!

What next? I know, let's have a big ground-breaking ceremony for the worst eyesore in town! Who cares if 8th Avenue is one of the most highly trafficked streets in the town? Let's put a huge empty lot on the corner as a reminder of our well-planned development efforts!

The mayor and council have obviously lost touch of what Belmar is, or was. As the times change it boggles my mind that they have not been able to keep the community growing in a positive way or implement effective changes to set Belmar apart. And now the mayor seems intent on ruining what little equity the town's name still holds, what a shame. This Pringle deserves to be with all the others, sealed in can.

If Staten Island wants to fund the opposition, they've already got their first vote.
john walker smith

AOL

#2 Jul 18, 2008
As my sainted Mother said in the '70's "Blow the outerbridge NOW while there is still time" It was only a matter of time before the Benny's would pick up stakes and move the tribe to Colts Neck Holmdel Wall etc.. The beach in Belmar is where they congregate in the summer. The rest of the time they manage to loudly make their presence known everywhere in Monmouth County. The mayor was right on the money.
Filly

Rutherford, NJ

#3 Jul 18, 2008
Mr Pringle, Im a former renter of shorehouses,in my younger days.
We Italians, bring in a lot of money every year to Belmar. Not so funny, what you said.. Italian people.........you are beautiful..........
Guido Vendetta

Lansdale, PA

#4 Jul 19, 2008
Pringle has to go. Check out this recall petition. http://www.polwatch.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belmar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill takes aim at NJ beach smokers (Mar '14) 7 hr BillDuckman 10
Get outta here! 41 percent of New Jerseyans wou... Sep 14 Garda Hyde 4
Michael Jackson, family items could be yours Sep 13 Pop Tart- 12
sea girt inn (Sep '06) Sep 4 Ed Quinn - Rockaw... 137
House Fire Was Dog's Fault: Police Sep 4 Pope Benedickt 5
Better Your Business with M studio at Asbury Agile Sep 2 M studio 1
No one else was home; pet gets saved Sep 1 Dr Reker s Bellhop 1
•••

Belmar News Video

•••