Proposed Bill To Ban Smoking At NJ Be...

Proposed Bill To Ban Smoking At NJ Beaches and Parks

There are 76 comments on the CW11 New York WPIX-TV story from Sep 19, 2009, titled Proposed Bill To Ban Smoking At NJ Beaches and Parks. In it, CW11 New York WPIX-TV reports that:

A new bill could prohibit New Jersey smokers from lighting up both indoors and in some outdoor locations.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CW11 New York WPIX-TV.

“~ Reality IS Perception ~”

Since: Aug 07

Rockaway!

#21 Sep 23, 2009
just candid wrote:
<quoted text> My my, you seem a bit upset.(: Perhaps a nice cold one, and a nicotine fix will make you feel better.:)
Not upset, JC. You needed clarification, is all. Go have a glass of wine and put your feet up ;-)
Willie makeit

Mchenry, IL

#22 Sep 23, 2009
just candid wrote:
<quoted text> My my, you seem a bit upset.(: Perhaps a nice cold one, and a nicotine fix will make you feel better.:)
Follow your own advice and you wont seem like the whinny little bugger you act like!:)
discusseded

Campbellsville, KY

#23 Sep 24, 2009
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have stated many times before, SF, I respect and am considerate of peoples' aversion to cigarette smoke. It's the bigoted verbiage that is not acceptable.
This topic has little to do with any aversion to cigarette smoke. It is the trash that is inevitably left behind that is the main issue here. Many outdoor areas around the world are being turned nonsmoking because of the expense of clearing, the offensiveness of seeing, and the toxic leaching of chemicals from cigarette butts.

Rockaway!

#24 Sep 24, 2009
discusseded wrote:
<quoted text>
This topic has little to do with any aversion to cigarette smoke. It is the trash that is inevitably left behind that is the main issue here. Many outdoor areas around the world are being turned nonsmoking because of the expense of clearing, the offensiveness of seeing, and the toxic leaching of chemicals from cigarette butts.
At times the topix takes a slight detour and this should not bother anyone.

Trash is trash. The obsessive fixation on cigarette butts being THE litter problem causes reason to believe it is nothing more than a reaction to the hyperbolic hysteria surrounding the smoking issue.

"toxic leaching of chemicals" is a perfect example of hyperbole.

You don't like smoking, you don't like seeing cigarette butts (I don't like it either). But, this issue has been blown way out of control.
discusseded

Campbellsville, KY

#25 Sep 24, 2009
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
At times the topix takes a slight detour and this should not bother anyone.
Trash is trash. The obsessive fixation on cigarette butts being THE litter problem causes reason to believe it is nothing more than a reaction to the hyperbolic hysteria surrounding the smoking issue.
I beg to differ. Cigarette butts and packaging have, for many years, been the most common object found in beach cleanups around the world.#1.

It does not require connection to tobacco's other undesirable effects to make this noticeable.

Is it part of the pattern of industry disregard for anything else but the bottom line? Absolutely. Is any other element of that disregard necessary for this element to be unacceptable? I don't think so, but added to the proliferation IS the fact of TRILLIONS of these things annually leach the toxins kept OUT of the lungs of addicted users into the environment, and they are not going away as individual objects anytime soon.

The companies could very easily reduce the problem to one of toxicity, and then reduce that toxicity by a huge factor. They don't have to, so they won't. It's that simple.

Keeping people from dropping them directly on beaches won't eliminate the problem even on beaches, but it is a start.
discusseded

Campbellsville, KY

#26 Sep 24, 2009
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
"toxic leaching of chemicals" is a perfect example of hyperbole.
No, "toxic leaching of chemicals" is a perfect example of communication impaired by bad syntax. I apologize for that. I should have said "leaching of toxic chemicals".

The whole ostensible purpose of filters on cigarettes is to trap poisons before they get to the smoker. Those poisons may not be removed by the air current passing through, but they are not so likely to remain trapped as the butt is soaked in water, baked in the sun, bounced against rocks by wind or wave, and so on.

All those toxins you , as a filter-tipped-cigarette smoker choose to avoid come back out. A single butt may not do much. Trillions of them every year is another story.

That is reality, not hyperbole.

As to the true purpose of filters, they are a marketing tactic, plain and simple.

While they reduce the chemicals in smoke when put into a machine in a laboratory, study after study has shown that smokers compensate for this by taking deeper puffs, blocking the holes intended to permit air flow as part of the filter's function, etc.

Statistics failed to show any significant decrease in the health hazards posed by tobacco through cigarette design during the last 50 years of the 20th century.

What adding the filters DID do was to make the consumers feel safer about their habit and less likely to fight the addiction. That is the TRUE purpose of filters.
discusseded

Campbellsville, KY

#27 Sep 24, 2009
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
Trash is trash.
If you like, I might be able to find a number so you can arrange to dig a hole in your back yard for some nuclear waste. It might be quite profitable for you.

Rockaway!

#28 Sep 24, 2009
discusseded wrote:
<quoted text>
If you like, I might be able to find a number so you can arrange to dig a hole in your back yard for some nuclear waste. It might be quite profitable for you.
What causes this post from you? You are quite worrisome.
discusseded

Campbellsville, KY

#29 Sep 24, 2009
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
What causes this post from you? You are quite worrisome.
It is worrisome that you might actually think--and possibly persuade some of the people here--that "trash is trash".

That was a ridiculous statement, and it was presented as "rebuttal" for my comments.

I sought to make it clear to you that there are differences among different types of trash.

If it was not necessary, then you shouldn't have provoked it with your statement. If it was, do you see the distinction now?

Rockaway!

#30 Sep 24, 2009
discusseded wrote:
<quoted text>
It is worrisome that you might actually think--and possibly persuade some of the people here--that "trash is trash".
That was a ridiculous statement, and it was presented as "rebuttal" for my comments.
I sought to make it clear to you that there are differences among different types of trash.
If it was not necessary, then you shouldn't have provoked it with your statement. If it was, do you see the distinction now?
You are so far off the mark, it's ridiculous. I meant that cigarette butts are trash, same as other trash which should be THE concern.

Stop twisting peoples' verbiage to suit your own agenda, OK?
just candid

AOL

#31 Sep 24, 2009
As cigarette butt chucking is such a wide spread problem, perhaps a deposit of say 10 cents per butt might help clean things up a tad.
just candid

AOL

#32 Sep 24, 2009
In many areas you don't see much in the way of cigarette butt litter. Take areas with lots of tall green grass along the road and it's the beer cans,plastic water bottles and cups ect that stand out. However when you get to areas that have curbs, stop signs, traffic lights ect. you see lots of cigarette butts and fewer cans ect. I belive most smokers would think twice before chucking a starbucks cup, McDs bag ect. on a sidewalk. but it seems many of the very same people never give a second thought to tossing their cigarette butts. Sometimes they even toss it while it's still lit. Fires started this way cost us many millions of dollars every year.
discusseded

Campbellsville, KY

#33 Sep 24, 2009
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so far off the mark, it's ridiculous. I meant that cigarette butts are trash, same as other trash which should be THE concern.
Stop twisting peoples' verbiage to suit your own agenda, OK?
Okay, but you tied that statement to an assertion that the idea of toxins involved was nothing but hyperbole. In that context, it becomes something more than what you say here.

That aside, butts remain the #1 most commonly littered item, and there is a simple way to stop people from leaving them on beaches and in parks. Don't let people create them on beaches or in parks.

Therefore, the law. A a side effect, it let's people run barefoot without risk of stepping on a lit butt.
Freedom

Deerfield, IL

#34 Sep 24, 2009
just candid wrote:
As cigarette butt chucking is such a wide spread problem, perhaps a deposit of say 10 cents per butt might help clean things up a tad.
What should the deposit on chewing gum be? Talk about nasty!

How about a deposit on meat wrappers and soda cups that the meat and pop addicts toss as will?

Try owning a business next to a fast food chain ...and then come back and whine about the smokers.

Your self righteous moral busybody glasses are out of focus.

It is time for a new pair of glasses Candid... perhaps a focused pair that looks at reality is in order?

There is nothing worse than a self righteous moral busybody with HUGE double standards.
discusseded

Campbellsville, KY

#35 Sep 24, 2009
just candid wrote:
THis has been knocked around some. I don't recall whether it has been implemented anywhere yet.

The notion that comes back to me involved bringing back the pack and 20 butts.

Another concept involves the self-extinguishing papers that are required in many states. If that could be fine-tuned so that the cigarette went out on its own just before reaching the filter, then there would be less reason for the drop/stomp.

Temperature of the newly-out butt could be a problem, but technology is probably there to get around that.

Probably the biggest drawback is the element of ritual involved in addiction. Dropping and grinding the butt, tossing it, or using a thumb and finger to shoot it away when finished with it have become part of the act. Breaking that part of the habit will probably be nearly as hard as quitting would be.

Butts that butted out on their own, though, would make hanging onto them easier.
discusseded

Campbellsville, KY

#36 Sep 24, 2009
Freedom wrote:
<quoted text>
What should the deposit on chewing gum be? Talk about nasty!
Yup. Hate stepping on that stuff, and it is stealthy. It is not, however, anywhere near as prevalent.

A university in Pennsylvania estimated it cost $150,000 to do one butt cleanup at their campus.

In Tennessee, you can be nicked $50 for inappropriate butt-dropping. The fines are higher in some other places, but not many actually enforce them.

The $.10 deposit would be a far kinder and likely more effective approach. Laws should, after all, be aimed at eliciting compliance rather than punishing non-compliance.

Rockaway!

#37 Sep 25, 2009
discusseded wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, but you tied that statement to an assertion that the idea of toxins involved was nothing but hyperbole. In that context, it becomes something more than what you say here.
That aside, butts remain the #1 most commonly littered item, and there is a simple way to stop people from leaving them on beaches and in parks. Don't let people create them on beaches or in parks.
Therefore, the law. A a side effect, it let's people run barefoot without risk of stepping on a lit butt.
I often wonder what kind of toxins build in our landfills. I see pipes sticking up out of the ground every few yards in one landfill I drove by. I know it is necessary to vent the gases from the trash buried, but this is why I found your statement to be hyperbole.

I am not against people who wish to not be exposed to SHS or anywhere near someone smoking. And yes, smokers do need to be responsible for their own trash. It was too easy and even accepted years ago, to just throw our butts anywhere.

This issue has at least made many aware and I, as a smoker, will take my butts to the proper receptacle for discarding.

Where litter is concerned: let's not fixate on one item irresponsibly discarded by a certain group. EVERYONE is responsible for keeping the litter situation under control.

Have a good Friday ;-)

discusseded

Campbellsville, KY

#38 Sep 25, 2009
BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text> I, as a smoker, will take my butts to the proper receptacle for discarding.
You know, when I started reading about the butt litter issue, it made me wonder if there really IS a "proper receptaclep". Not bashing anyone here, just musing.

If the tobacco companies can be persuaded to--I mean, if the FDA would only opt to make filters biodegradable and tobacco much less toxic, it would have a major impact on global litter issues. If, further, they mandate design that makes the cigarette go out on its own, just short of the butt...I think a combination of those three steps would be pretty useful if people are going to continue to smoke.

I also think they should gradually reduce the maximum for nicotine content until people begin finding themselves free of the addiction.

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#39 Sep 25, 2009
discusseded wrote:
<quoted text>
I beg to differ. Cigarette butts and packaging have, for many years, been the most common object found in beach cleanups around the world.#1.
Lord, wonder who was desperate enough to separate the trash into separate piles to count each item..must ne a nasty job if condoms are still pitched. some people will do anything for a buck LOL

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#40 Sep 25, 2009
I just hate those fast food cups and water bottles, all those chemicals leaping up LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belmar Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Anti-Semitic banner, fliers tied to arrests of ... Jul 20 John Gold 1
News Ex-yeshiva teacher faces sex assault charges in NJ (May '13) Jul 8 USS LIBERTY 32
Handicapped Person Endangered due to Tourist Trap Jul 3 jburns 1
Handicapped Person Endangerment Jul 3 jatkins 2
Lost Black Cat! Jun '17 ericaammer 1
News Jersey Shore town threatens Uber, Lyft drivers ... Jun '17 Night crawler8063 1
News Busy N.J. food bank takes new name to reflect e... Jun '17 Unclegus 1

Belmar Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Belmar Mortgages