Proposed Bill To Ban Smoking At NJ Beaches and Parks

Sep 19, 2009 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CW11 New York WPIX-TV

A new bill could prohibit New Jersey smokers from lighting up both indoors and in some outdoor locations.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of76
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Non smoking freedom loving vet”

Since: Apr 08

Chicago

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

Another entry for "The Trenton Pickle Ordinanace, and other Bonehead Legislation"
Smoke Free Beaches

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

Judged:

It's just the ignorant smokers disregard for others around them and the environmental problems they create with the cigarette butts.
If Smokers would police after themselves instead of using the beach as an ashtray then half the problem would be solved by the smokers.

There's nothing worse then setting up your beach blanket, chairs, coolers and umbrella and then have some low life ignorant smoker set up 5 feet from you and your family and start puffing away. Remember it's YOUR nasty harmful habit. The majority of us don't want to be subjected to YOUR smoking filthy habit. Should I have to pack up and move because I care about my families health? Heck no, this is 2009 and smokers should only smoke at home, it's a dirty nasty harmful habit that should be done in private, it's disgusting and smokers should be ashamed to smoke in public. Same level as picking your nose and eating it or having someone else eat it. Smoking is just OVER, Shame Shame Shame!!!

I ususally go to Ocean City, MD but if NJ Beaches go smoke free, my next vacation will be there. I'm just tired of the smoke on Ocean City Beaches and the boardwalk.
discusseded

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2009

If you read the studies on global beach cleanups, you'll find that cigarette butts are the #1 most commonly encountered litter item. This is not by any stretch of the imagination because they are all smoked at the beaches. It is because everyone who drops and stomps leaves the butt where it will wash into a storm drain or be blown into a creek or by some other means find its way into a watershed that will eventually deposit it on a beach.

Along the way, to some extent, it will leach all the toxins smokers don't want to have to inhale into the environment. One butt is no big deal, but we're talking about the cumulative effect of trillions of the things every year.

Removing smoking from beaches won't take all of the butts away, though it should reduce their presence in recreational areas significantly and the quantity of toxins leached into the play environment substantially.

If you or one of your children ever ran barefoot through the sand and stepped on a lit cigarette, then you know of one reason for this ban.
No more smoking

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

When will smokers realize their habit is no longer socially or environmentally accepted in 2009. I'd be embarrassed to smoke in any public area, people just look at you like you're a damn fool. People look at smokers the same as people look at old homeless drunks. Smoke all you want but please do it in your own home hidden down in your basement, out of site of ALL.
Nasty, Nasty Habit!!!

“Reality is settling in...”

Since: Nov 08

Stop sweating the small stuff.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

It's time for smokers to leave the planet earth to enjoy their cigarettes. They should know by now that they are not welcome here on earth any longer to pollute....

Scotty Beam me up!!!

“~ Reality IS Perception ~”

Since: Aug 07

Rockaway!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

No more smoking wrote:
When will smokers realize their habit is no longer socially or environmentally accepted in 2009. I'd be embarrassed to smoke in any public area, people just look at you like you're a damn fool. People look at smokers the same as people look at old homeless drunks. Smoke all you want but please do it in your own home hidden down in your basement, out of site of ALL.
Nasty, Nasty Habit!!!
What you describe as well as project is actually a very serious mental disorder in a majority of people today. Intolerance, obsessive behavior, and bigotry have become the accepted personality traits (flaws) of present times.
Smoke in Basement

Lake Mary, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
What you describe as well as project is actually a very serious mental disorder in a majority of people today. Intolerance, obsessive behavior, and bigotry have become the accepted personality traits (flaws) of present times.
Yea, blah, blah, blah!!! I think it's the smoking addicts that have the "Obsessive Behavior" you were crying about. Just stay away from our wonderful clean beaches with your nasty harmful smoking habit. You are still welcome, it's your nasty smoking habit that will not be tolerated anymore. Enjoy!!!!

Rockaway!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Smoke in Basement wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, blah, blah, blah!!! I think it's the smoking addicts that have the "Obsessive Behavior" you were crying about. Just stay away from our wonderful clean beaches with your nasty harmful smoking habit. You are still welcome, it's your nasty smoking habit that will not be tolerated anymore. Enjoy!!!!
As I have stated many times before, SF, I respect and am considerate of peoples' aversion to cigarette smoke. It's the bigoted verbiage that is not acceptable.
just candid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

No more smoking wrote:
Nasty, Nasty Habit!!!
It's a well known fact that most degenerates, lowlife type scumbags and homeless drumks are almost always cigarette smokers.
just candid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
As I have stated many times before, SF, I respect and am considerate of peoples' aversion to cigarette smoke. It's the bigoted verbiage that is not acceptable.
You don't seem top get upset when smokers act bigo;ted or use bigoted verbiage.:~)

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Smoke in Basement wrote:
<quoted text> Just stay away from our wonderful clean beaches
with pleasure, ENJOY!!!

Dangerous staph bacteria have been found in sand and water for the first time at five public beaches along the coast of Washington, and scientists think the state is not the only one with this problem.

The germ is MRSA, or methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus a hard-to-treat bug once rarely seen outside of hospitals but that increasingly is spreading in ordinary community settings such as schools, locker rooms and gyms.

The germ causes nasty skin infections as well as pneumonia and other life-threatening problems. It spreads mostly through human contact. Little is known about environmental sources that also may harbor the germ.

Finding it at the beach suggests one place that people may be picking it up, said Marilyn Roberts, a microbiologist at the University of Washington in Seattle.

"We don't know the risk" for any individual going to a beach, she said. "But the fact that we found these organisms suggests that the level is much higher than we had thought."

She presented results Saturday at an American Society for Microbiology conference in California. Last year, her team reported finding a different type of bacteria, enterococci, at five West Coast beaches. And earlier this year, University of Miami researchers reported finding staph bacteria in four out of 10 ocean water samples collected by hundreds of bathers at a South Florida beach.

Many communities also commonly restrict bathing at beaches because of contamination with fecal bacteria.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_med_germy_beach...

“KISS THIS SMOKERS BUTT”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Wonder if its safe to be anywhere near or in the same state with the anti smoking cartel that enjoys those nice clean beaches ROFL,,Quarantine dangerous unhealthy anti smokers for the sake of public health ROFL

Rockaway!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

just candid wrote:
<quoted text>You don't seem top get upset when smokers act bigo;ted or use bigoted verbiage.:~)
I don't accept bigoted verbiage: PERIOD. Is that clear enough for you, JC?
just candid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

Judged:

BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
The halo's over your head are someting to see, a true sight for sore eyes. To bad it's all toxic tobacco smoke. ;~)

Rockaway!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2009

just candid wrote:
<quoted text> The halo's over your head are someting to see, a true sight for sore eyes. To bad it's all toxic tobacco smoke. ;~)
My..you certainly are the Genius of Insignificance, JC. Give it up, will ya?
discusseded

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2009

BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
Give it up, will ya?
Our point, exactly.
discusseded

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2009

u cannot own me wrote:
<quoted text> with pleasure, ENJOY!!!
Dangerous staph bacteria have been found in sand and water for the first time at five public beaches along the coast of Washington, and scientists think the state is not the only one with this problem.
Now you see what you've done? Not enough you foul our air, now your toxic butt litter is bringing new bacteria to our beaches!

I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!
discusseded

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2009

Smoke Free Beaches wrote:
It's just the ignorant smokers disregard for others around them and the environmental problems they create with the cigarette butts.
If they had been willing to run the risk of an alteration of flavor costing them customers (until the addicts adjusted to relate gratification with the new taste), cigarette filters could have been biodegradable for decades.

It was cheaper to divert attention from their responsibility and get us all pointing fingers at one another and at the communities while they jump their jets and go to beaches where lackeys pick up all the butts before the execs arrive.

Filters have never been definitively shown to significantly reduce the negative health impact of smoking in the first place. They were originally meant to keep tobacco out of smokers' teeth, and now they let fibers of plasticized cellulose acetate fly into smokers' lungs every time they smoke. There are patents for machines that would fix this problem in manufacture. Again, it is cheaper for the companies to ignore the faulty filters and the government isn't doing anything about it. Touching how much they care for their customers.

Rockaway!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2009

discusseded wrote:
<quoted text>
Our point, exactly.
No... Clear enough for ya?
just candid

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2009

Judged:

BleuJei wrote:
<quoted text>
My my, you seem a bit upset.(: Perhaps a nice cold one, and a nicotine fix will make you feel better.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of76
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Belmar Discussions

Search the Belmar Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bill takes aim at NJ beach smokers Apr 14 I smoke therefore I stink 6
Smoking mad Apr 12 Smoking Bad 2
Big city mayors caught up in recent scandals Apr 2 ASH 1
Matthew Casper, 23, Asbury Park, charged with s... Mar 26 Dumb 3
Jersey beaches snuffing out smoking Mar '14 Another DUH MOMENT 3
A play with a mission Mar '14 MajorBee 1
Asbury Park moves to tackle heroin 'epidemic' a... Mar '14 mike ritchie 1
•••
•••