Farmers markets welcomed at local mall, science and arts centers, even a hospital | The Columbus ...

The farmers market at Easton Town Center, held in the parking lot behind Fado Irish Pub, is open from 3 to 7 p.m. Thursdays through Sept. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FarmerTed

Piketon, OH

#1 Jun 8, 2011
Great, an opportunity to pay twice as much for food that is only marginally better than what one can find at the grocery store.
thomas

Coshocton, OH

#2 Jun 8, 2011
FarmerTed wrote:
Great, an opportunity to pay twice as much for food that is only marginally better than what one can find at the grocery store.
Actually, fresh produce has a far higher vitamin content than those picked not-quite-ripe and shipped and sat for a couple days. Nutritional values quickly degrade, even over a period of hours. I'm willing to pay more for healthier veggies and to support the local farmer. Without the small farmer we're at the mercy of mega agribusinesses who are known to cut corners and not take care with the handling of the produce.
Mary

Londonderry, OH

#3 Jun 8, 2011
Farmers Markets are the way to go. I don't think the cost is much more and I would agree with thomas, I would much rather pay someone who is local, trying to make a living than some big chain store.
Buckeye

Columbus, OH

#4 Jun 8, 2011
FarmerTed wrote:
If you don't like it, then don't go.
Hello Dispatch

Columbus, OH

#5 Jun 8, 2011
FarmerTed wrote:
Oftentimes the cost is less than grocery stores. If it does cost more, I am willing to pay the difference to support a local farmer and reduce the environmental impact of shipping produce half way around the world.
Before posting a negative and baseless claim, why don't you educate yourself.
FarmerTed

Piketon, OH

#6 Jun 8, 2011
thomas wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, fresh produce has a far higher vitamin content than those picked not-quite-ripe and shipped and sat for a couple days. Nutritional values quickly degrade, even over a period of hours. I'm willing to pay more for healthier veggies and to support the local farmer. Without the small farmer we're at the mercy of mega agribusinesses who are known to cut corners and not take care with the handling of the produce.
Hey whatever, crazy.
FarmerTed

Piketon, OH

#7 Jun 8, 2011
Buckeye wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't like it, then don't go.
Gee, really, ya think so? Thanks for the feedback, Cleetus.
angry much

Columbus, OH

#10 Jun 8, 2011
FarmerTed wrote:
<quoted text>Well then you're an idiot. I'm not paying $5.50 for a quart of strawberries when I can get more than that for half the price at the grocery store -- have fun living in poverty you dirty hippy freak.
People willing to pay for quality and local freshness, and support small farms,
are 'idiots', in your world?
WOW. Anger-management issues, much?
Unless you just (erroneously) think you're amusing,
please, seek professional help. Soon. Seriously.
Rok

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 8, 2011
FarmerTed wrote:
Yeah, why in the world would you want to support your LOCAL economy when you can fork over your money to Monsanto and Agribusine$$ instead?
CSD

Columbus, OH

#12 Jun 8, 2011
How does Trader Joe's feel about this 'community service'?

Since: Dec 10

Columbus, OH

#13 Jun 8, 2011
Love me some local economy.
what

Dublin, OH

#14 Jun 8, 2011
Hello Dispatch wrote:
<quoted text>
Oftentimes the cost is less than grocery stores. If it does cost more, I am willing to pay the difference to support a local farmer and reduce the environmental impact of shipping produce half way around the world.
Before posting a negative and baseless claim, why don't you educate yourself.
I went to a Farmers Market last summer and spent about $70 on some things based on the logic that I was helping a farmer. If I went once a week, that would be almost $300/month on fruits and vegetables. I paid $6 for a watermelon and $4 for a half gallon of organic milk, as two examples. Point is, with utilities skyrocketing, rent skyrocketing, gasoline prices skyrocketing, health insurance skyrocketing, every penny counts. I do see your points and I enjoyed the one time I went, but consider it to be a "treat".
Tin Foil Hat

Fredericktown, OH

#15 Jun 8, 2011
If you spent $70 on only fruits and vegetables, I would tend to agree that you probably paid too much. You mentioned organic milk. Did you buy any craft items? Live flowers? Baked goods? Candy? Specialty products such as sauces or jams?

There are some farmers market vendors that take advantage of the situation. I refused to buy berries at a market last week. While I'm aware that local strawberries are just coming in, no one in central Ohio has raspberries or blackberries yet. This particular vendor had quite obviously taken advantage of the great prices at Kroger and repackaged them as "home-grown" and tried to rape people on price.

A half-gallon of organic milk costs about $4 in the grocery store as well as $6 for a watermelon. We shop at farmers markets every week from May through October. We bought 70% of our garden plants last week for less than $20. For the two of us, we average about $20 a week. On weeks that we buy grassfed cheese or maple syrup or honey, we spend a bit more but those items last more than one week.

Get to know the vendors. Don't buy from the first strawberry stand you see. Walk through the market before you buy, observing prices and products.
FarmerTed

Piketon, OH

#17 Jun 8, 2011
Tin Foil Hat wrote:
If you spent $70 on only fruits and vegetables, I would tend to agree that you probably paid too much. You mentioned organic milk. Did you buy any craft items? Live flowers? Baked goods? Candy? Specialty products such as sauces or jams?
There are some farmers market vendors that take advantage of the situation. I refused to buy berries at a market last week. While I'm aware that local strawberries are just coming in, no one in central Ohio has raspberries or blackberries yet. This particular vendor had quite obviously taken advantage of the great prices at Kroger and repackaged them as "home-grown" and tried to rape people on price.
A half-gallon of organic milk costs about $4 in the grocery store as well as $6 for a watermelon. We shop at farmers markets every week from May through October. We bought 70% of our garden plants last week for less than $20. For the two of us, we average about $20 a week. On weeks that we buy grassfed cheese or maple syrup or honey, we spend a bit more but those items last more than one week.
Get to know the vendors. Don't buy from the first strawberry stand you see. Walk through the market before you buy, observing prices and products.
These guys get it (more or less)! Take a walk around some of these "farmers markets" and you'll see the same fruit and vegetable boxes as the ones at the big box grocery stores. They just jack up the prices for the fools who want to believe they're doing something trendy or "responsible." Watermelons are often on sale for $4 at the grocery store. Organic milk is for sissies.
FarmerTed

Piketon, OH

#18 Jun 8, 2011
Rok wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, why in the world would you want to support your LOCAL economy when you can fork over your money to Monsanto and Agribusine$$ instead?
If the locals are either crooks or just plain stupid, why would I want to support them?
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#20 Jun 8, 2011
Who knew that a farmer's market could inspire all this vitriol? Does anyone know what time the market at Easton opens?
haha

Columbus, OH

#21 Jun 8, 2011
Wow slow day in the unemployment world huh Ted???
FarmerTed

Piketon, OH

#22 Jun 8, 2011
haha wrote:
Wow slow day in the unemployment world huh Ted???
Nah I'm getting my booth ready at the Farmer's Market ... I went to Giant Eagle and bought grapes for $.99 a pound that I'll sell you for $2.99 a pound. Then I will go home and make quietly efficient love to my sturdy Germanic wife.
Brandon

Columbus, OH

#23 Jun 8, 2011
Of course these markets are growing in popularity. People are tired of eating Big Agra GMO dog food.
bettyjeter

Orlando, FL

#24 Jun 9, 2011
retailme not and printapons saves me lots of time and money and more than that it make the online shopping lot more fun when you get discount!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Immigrants come here to work, area residents say (Apr '06) 12 hr Harry Trueman 18
Review: Purr-L Harbor Cattery Dec 13 jerryjelly 1
Heroin continues to dominate METRICH region Dec 2 LG Galion 3
hyy Nov '14 sugarbaby amy 1
Mansfield Ohio Cold Case (Mar '14) Nov '14 Brenda 4
Carrie weikel Nov '14 pantieweter 1
Debate: Marijuana - Mansfield, OH (Aug '10) Nov '14 Trevor 51
Bellville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bellville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bellville News, Events & Info