Speeding ticket goes to Supreme Court

Speeding ticket goes to Supreme Court

There are 77 comments on the WDBZ-AM Cincinnati story from Feb 25, 2007, titled Speeding ticket goes to Supreme Court. In it, WDBZ-AM Cincinnati reports that:

A man is taking his fight over a $100 speeding ticket to the Ohio Supreme Court, where he'll argue the ticket is invalid because the police officer who made the traffic stop left a box unchecked.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WDBZ-AM Cincinnati.

“debbie039”

Since: Mar 07

some where in OHIO

#22 Mar 21, 2007
MarineWife wrote:
<quoted text>
He is not an EX marine.. LOL Once a Marine always a Marine.. My husband is no longer and ative duty Marine he is now a Police officer. But He is still a Marine. So is your Fiancee'
Hey thats me on my space debbie hope you add me TAKE CARE
Retired Enlisted

Perrysburg, OH

#23 Mar 21, 2007
MarineWife wrote:
God forbid the police officer does his job.. You were speeding plain and simple. Do you realize these officers have to be trained to use the radar? It isn't just a machine they pick up and use. Plus if you know anything about the police they have to make sure the unit is working properly before they can use it each and every day. Another thing to think about.. Most officers will not pull you over unless you are going really fast. My husband give you 14 over. So you must be going really fast if he pulls you over.
There are a number of small towns and villages around Ohio as well as other states that generate a significant portion of there revenue from traffic ticket. A lot of times, vehicles from our of the immediate area are (unfairly) targeted because these jurisdictions know that these individuals will not challenge the citation but simply send in the check to pay the fine, justified or not.

Mr Kieffaber is simply exercising his right to challenge something he deems incorrect. I concur with this challenge. Law enforcement should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen when it comes to attention to detail, and the simple fact that the speeding citation was incompletely filled out should be cause for doubt as to it's accuracy. An error on the citation could indicate an error in judgment on the part of the officer. Attention to detail is a point that is driven home to any member who has ever served in the military, and if I've interpreted the response from Marine Wife correctly, it (may have been) her husband that issued this citation.

Now a personal to Marine Wife; In my twenty plus years of honorable active duty in the US Navy, I have encountered numerous military spouses who thrived in wearing there husbands rank in order to receive special treatment. Madam, it was your husband that earned his Eagle, Globe and Anchor and he alone is entitled to be called Marine! Granted, the life of a military wife is difficult, but how many times where you called to go in harms way? Please keep that in mind. I have a very high regard and respect for United States Marines.
Retired Enlisted

Perrysburg, OH

#24 Mar 21, 2007
There are a number of small towns and villages around Ohio as well as other states that generate a significant portion of there revenue from traffic ticket. A lot of times, vehicles from our of the immediate area are (unfairly) targeted because these jurisdictions know that these individuals will not challenge the citation but simply send in the check to pay the fine, justified or not.

Mr Kieffaber is simply exercising his right to challenge something he deems incorrect. I concur with this challenge. Law enforcement should be held to a higher standard than the average citizen when it comes to attention to detail, and the simple fact that the speeding citation was incompletely filled out should be cause for doubt as to it's accuracy. An error on the citation could indicate an error in judgment on the part of the officer. Attention to detail is a point that is driven home to any member who has ever served in the military, and if I've interpreted the response from Marine Wife correctly, it (may have been) her husband that issued this citation.

Now a personal to Marine Wife; In my twenty plus years of honorable active duty in the US Navy, I have encountered numerous military spouses who thrived in wearing there husbands rank in order to receive special treatment. Madam, it was your husband that earned his Eagle, Globe and Anchor and he alone is entitled to be called Marine! Granted, the life of a military wife is difficult, but how many times where you called to go in harms way? Please keep that in mind. I have a very high regard and respect for United States Marines.

Since: Dec 06

Perrysburg, OH

#25 Mar 21, 2007

Perrysburg, OH

#26 Mar 21, 2007
MarineWife wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya'll realize the police don't get any money from the tickets? They have no reason to add a few miles per hour to your ticket or make up reasons to pull you over.
Oh and if you get pulled over try politely asking if they would give you a warning ticket. Sometimes if your nice and don't have an attitude the officer will give you a warning. At least my husband does that. Most of the guys at the department hate giving tickets they just have to.. It's their job.

Perrysburg, OH

#27 Mar 21, 2007
There are a number of small towns and villages around Ohio as well as other states that generate a significant portion of there revenue from traffic ticket. A lot of times, vehicles from out of the immediate area are (unfairly) targeted because these jurisdictions know that these individuals will not challenge the citation but simply send in the check to pay the fine, justified or not.

Sitting and Watching

Ottawa, Canada

#28 Mar 21, 2007
MarineWife wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya'll realize the police don't get any money from the tickets? They have no reason to add a few miles per hour to your ticket or make up reasons to pull you over.
Oh and if you get pulled over try politely asking if they would give you a warning ticket. Sometimes if your nice and don't have an attitude the officer will give you a warning. At least my husband does that. Most of the guys at the department hate giving tickets they just have to.. It's their job.
Ya'll sure aren't too bright now are ye. Where do you think that money goes, right into the local general fund. What do you think that money is used for, pays the wages and buys the fancy new cars and toys (tasers). There is a strech of highway(Rt 19) in Summersville West Viginia, just google summersville and speed trap, you will know the rest of the story then. Should you be unlucky to have out of state plates (Harder to fight bogus speeding tickets) you can always pay $20 more than your fine and do an online driving school to not get any points. Yes there are a lot of honest cops, but there are also a lot of crooked cops also. Just because they say you are speeding does not mean you were.

“Happy to be here”

NW Ohio

#29 Mar 22, 2007
Retired Enlisted wrote:
<quoted text>
I will continue to use my title Marine Wife. I deserve the title since I have stood by my husband.He loves the fact that I use it. If you don't like it well I am sorry, too bad. If you go to a Marine base you will see many proud wives and husbands of Marines. They themselves use the same term Marine wife or Marine husband.

“Happy to be here”

NW Ohio

#30 Mar 22, 2007
Sitting and Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya'll sure aren't too bright now are ye. Where do you think that money goes, right into the local general fund. What do you think that money is used for, pays the wages and buys the fancy new cars and toys (tasers). There is a strech of highway(Rt 19) in Summersville West Viginia, just google summersville and speed trap, you will know the rest of the story then. Should you be unlucky to have out of state plates (Harder to fight bogus speeding tickets) you can always pay $20 more than your fine and do an online driving school to not get any points. Yes there are a lot of honest cops, but there are also a lot of crooked cops also. Just because they say you are speeding does not mean you were.
About the out of state plate thing. I can tell you I know many officers who avoid giving tickets to certain people from other states. Because they have to be bonded and that is a whole mess. They will pull you over but you will probably get a warning. This may not be true for all officers.. Heck I know there are a--hole cops out there. There has to be at least one in every bunch..
Tiffany

Quantico, VA

#31 Apr 10, 2007
Jenna wrote:
<quoted text>
That's a pretty ignorant thing to say! First of all, it has nothing to do with this thread. Second, it takes a strong woman to stand by a military man.
No really, they are, and most of them on recruiting duty are very unsupportive and wonder why their men cheat on them.

“Happy to be here”

NW Ohio

#32 Apr 10, 2007
Tiffany wrote:
<quoted text>
No really, they are, and most of them on recruiting duty are very unsupportive and wonder why their men cheat on them.
First of all that is everywhere. Has nothing to do with whether or not the wife/husband is in the military. Spouses of police, firemen, lawyers, poor rich men/women cheat. People cheat because 1. they have no respect for marriage 2. they should have never gotten married 3. they have given up on their marriage.
Anthony

Flower Mound, TX

#33 Apr 28, 2007
In actuallity, I just came back from watching a serious injustice myself.

Ultimately, it is a lazy cop. Motorcycle cop in this particular situation. My wife just got a ticket for going 53 in a 35. When claiming that she was going just over 30, with other cars speeding past her.

So I decided to go out to where this motorcycle cop was and observe from a side street for awhile.

He was standing on the corner, off his bike. And had his gun out, and pointed onto a busy road. In the span of an hour, I watched him give out eight tickets. Each time, the ones that were actually going faster than the other cars went on by. And he pulled over one of the slower cars that he wouldnt have to get on his bike to chase.

All he needs is that radar registering a 53, and he gets to give a ticket. The one that was actually 'registering' as speeding on his radar went by so quickly, he'd have to get on his bike to go follow them. Not wanting to do that, he just pulled over the next car with a wave of his hand, and let them come to him.

I only had my celphone with me, but managed to get 'some' video of this occurring. And will be taking it to court.

Being a police officer has my highest respect, you never know when you're going to get shot at. I thank them in general every time I see them. but with that power comes responsability, and they 'have' to keep a higher standard. When i find someone abusing that power, I find it intollerable.

Many people talk of the issue of 'quota'.. While there is no paperwork to substantiate that, and of course officers get no money off any tickets. There IS a review for officers, and if an officer isnt giving out any tickets, or stopping anyone, then his review suffers for it on the claims he must not be doing his job. Official quota's don't exist, at least in my town, but personal quota's to boost job performance do.

ultimately, everyone his human, officer or not. I hold the 'job' of policeman at a 'high' standard, and its the human's job to live up to it. If that human can't, then they shouldnt be in that job.
Lost in Ohio

Houston, TX

#34 May 7, 2007
MarineWife wrote:
<quoted text>
EXCUSE ME .... have you forgotten that Overtime pay comes with a prive ... The budget of most towns excluse Overtime pay but no one in city councils will ever complain about police officers receiving Overtime pay as long as the revenue received via the tickets is greater then overtime ..
Just wanted to kinda balance the scales of justice for those who didn't know
JohnnySweetJusti ce

Asbury Park, NJ

#35 Jun 7, 2007
Hello: if your man is truly a Marine then ya must know that when a sexy blond is stopped by your man there is alway a chance of that Marine to take care of business. What do ya think? JohnnySweet

“Happy to be here”

NW Ohio

#36 Jun 8, 2007
JohnnySweetJustice wrote:
Hello: if your man is truly a Marine then ya must know that when a sexy blond is stopped by your man there is alway a chance of that Marine to take care of business. What do ya think? JohnnySweet
LMAO My husband loves his job. He won't do anything to mess that up. While I know he is a man and will look at all beautiful women I don't worry. He was raised to respect his wife. Besides life is too short to worry about such things.
coco

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#37 Jun 8, 2007
Just curious - how many hours of training does it take to be a PO and do you need a high school diploma? Is it really difficult to understand a radar machine?

“Happy to be here”

NW Ohio

#38 Jun 9, 2007
coco wrote:
Just curious - how many hours of training does it take to be a PO and do you need a high school diploma? Is it really difficult to understand a radar machine?
You have to have a diploma and it takes almost a year at the police academy. Plus you have to pass a state test. No it is not that difficult to understand the machine. In fact you have to be trained prior to being able to use it. They point it at your front plate and it reads the speed. Heck my husband let my son try it in a parking lot. He was able to do it. They also test the machine each time before they use it to make sure they are accurate.
cheating wife

Portland, OR

#39 Jun 14, 2007
The idea that cops do not benefit from tickets is nonsense. The state, city, county for which they are employed benefit and programs withing their law enforcement agency can and do benefit. Some small cities budgets benefit substantially from traffic fines.

You need to look at your local city, county and state budgets for the income derived from traffic offenses.

“Realist, I am.”

Since: Feb 07

Key West

#40 Jun 14, 2007
Lonnie wrote:
I asked for the radar gun manufacturers name, and information. I asked for the police dept FCC license. The police has refused to give the information to me. People should understand that EVERYONE, even the police is governed by laws.
I've got news for you. Police officers are not required by law to show you their radar logs and equipment on the side of the road, nor is an officer required to carry an FCC license. There are still some laws out there to protect officers. Not allowing you out of your car is one of them.

If you were pulled over for 40 in a 25, you knew you were wrong. You're just looking for a free ride out of your ticket by attempting to degrade the officer.
Come on

AOL

#41 Jun 14, 2007
cheating wife wrote:
The idea that cops do not benefit from tickets is nonsense.
Cops, themselves, do not benefit from tickets.

And in response to another post, it isn't hard to operate a radar unit. It's the legalities of the radar that are tough. They have to be calibrated every six months, be tested with tuning forks before and after every shift, and a log must be kept of every traffic stop based on radar.

Another not-so-known fact about radar is the usage. Officers are trained to estimate a vehicle's speed along with operating the radar. In most states, in order to get radar certified, the officer must estimate 50 vehicles in a row to within 3 mph of the actual speed. It takes 1-2 weeks to learn that skill.

And one more thing.....they are not required to show you the radar roadside.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trial for shooting pushed to December Sep 20 Bryan davis 2
Need to find woman who wants her toes sucked (Oct '12) Sep 17 Ugh 5
News Ohio school district must allow transgender stu... (Sep '16) Sep 16 TransInMansfield 3
my gilfriend (Nov '15) Sep 16 helpme 7
Mansfield Ohio Cold Case (Mar '14) Aug 30 gypsywoman601 21
Bryon Eugene Kilgore Aug 25 Donnie 1
News Sylvester Stallone film seeking extras in Ohio Aug 24 Dave 3

Bellville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bellville Mortgages