Speeding ticket goes to Supreme Court

A man is taking his fight over a $100 speeding ticket to the Ohio Supreme Court, where he'll argue the ticket is invalid because the police officer who made the traffic stop left a box unchecked. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Mike B

Niles, OH

#1 Feb 26, 2007
Lets not forget that the radar equipment has not been calibrated since 2001. If you read the transcript, why did the judge ask him how much money he made. Sounds to me like a small town running on fees assessed on passers by.
Jenna

United States

#2 Feb 26, 2007
You can't be serious!? He was speeding, admittedly, 16mph over the posted speed limit. A posted limit of 25mph is such for a reason. So OBVIOUSLY going over that, especially by 16mph, is “unsafe for conditions”. I would have to venture to guess that the superme court has more important things to do with their time, then to deal with some guy's $100 speeding ticket!
BOGUS!!
Bluff Eversmoke

Dublin, OH

#3 Feb 27, 2007
Jenna wrote:
You can't be serious!? He was speeding, admittedly, 16mph over the posted speed limit. A posted limit of 25mph is such for a reason. So OBVIOUSLY going over that, especially by 16mph, is “unsafe for conditions”. I would have to venture to guess that the superme court has more important things to do with their time, then to deal with some guy's $100 speeding ticket!
BOGUS!!
Obviously, the Ohio Supreme Court disagrees with you since they agreed to hear the case.

“lightly burnt,but still smokin”

Since: Dec 06

in the corner of your mind,

#4 Feb 27, 2007
more waste of our tax dollars....

“Happy to be here”

Since: Dec 06

NW Ohio

#5 Mar 1, 2007
This is crazy. He is guilty plain and simple. He should have just paid the 100 dollars. But he is the idiot he has paid 4 times more then that trying to fight this.
Doodah

Lexington, KY

#6 Mar 1, 2007
MarineWife wrote:
This is crazy. He is guilty plain and simple. He should have just paid the 100 dollars. But he is the idiot he has paid 4 times more then that trying to fight this.
Marine wives are fat lazy slobs, plain and simple.
Jenna

United States

#7 Mar 1, 2007
Doodah wrote:
<quoted text>
Marine wives are fat lazy slobs, plain and simple.
That's a pretty ignorant thing to say! First of all, it has nothing to do with this thread. Second, it takes a strong woman to stand by a military man.
DAVE

United States

#8 Mar 1, 2007
I was a resident of Bellville for 15 years. I managed to obey the speed limits not only because its a law but also for the safety of others. This gentleman should have been a man and paid his fine for breaking the law, not work the system to his advantage. Lets hope he never applies for welfare!
Lonnie

Claremore, OK

#9 Mar 8, 2007
I am in much the same situation. I am going to district court tomorrow to appeal a $115 ticket. The police said he "clocked" me on his radar doing 40 in a 25. I asked for my rights to cross examine the evidence. I asked for the radar gun manufacturers name, and information. I asked for the police dept FCC license. The police has refused to give the information to me. People should understand that EVERYONE, even the police is governed by laws. I will take this to the supreme court too.
This man in Ohio is standing up for his rights. WE ALL benefit when people hold our government (in this case, the police)accountable.

“Happy to be here”

Since: Dec 06

NW Ohio

#11 Mar 8, 2007
God forbid the police officer does his job.. You were speeding plain and simple. Do you realize these officers have to be trained to use the radar? It isn't just a machine they pick up and use. Plus if you know anything about the police they have to make sure the unit is working properly before they can use it each and every day. Another thing to think about.. Most officers will not pull you over unless you are going really fast. My husband give you 14 over. So you must be going really fast if he pulls you over.
Jenna

United States

#12 Mar 8, 2007
Lonnie,
Were you speeding and are now looking for a way out, or do you feel like you were pulled over in error?
bryan

Gilmer, TX

#13 Mar 8, 2007
its hard to trust cops after i hear them in a drunken racail bat fight and they get off scott free.

“debbie039”

Since: Mar 07

some where in OHIO

#14 Mar 9, 2007
Doodah wrote:
<quoted text>
Marine wives are fat lazy slobs, plain and simple.
MARINE WIFE IS LAZY Well let me tell you buddy MARINES ARE FIGHTING FOR YOUR FREEDOM , SHOULD SUPPORT THEM . You must be talking about your self. PS MARINES ARE THE BEST> MY FIANCE IS A EX MARINE SO WHAT THAT MAKE ME LAZY???????? Nope you couldnt keep up with my energy and guess what I weigh only 115lbs .

“debbie039”

Since: Mar 07

some where in OHIO

#15 Mar 9, 2007
GOSH MISTER PAY THE SPEEDING TICKET > I think you are just bored and a rich snob who has nothing else to do . Get a life
Lonnie

Claremore, OK

#16 Mar 10, 2007
Jenna: I truly feel that I was not speeding. I saw my speedometer drop below 30 mph and I continued to drive slow. The charge was a 40mph in a 25. That just doesn't seem correct. I didn't watch my speedometer all the time but, who does? You have to look out the windshield to drive. I drove as best I could.
Marine wife. I HOPE the police are trained to use radar guns. It was evidence used against me. I have a RIGHT under the 6th amendment of the constitution of examine ALL evidence presented against me.
I went to court yesterday and appealed. The district judge dismissed my case. I will get a refund and the city will have to pay court costs.
Lonnie

Claremore, OK

#17 Mar 10, 2007
Jenna: I don't think I was speeding. I saw the speedometer drop below 30 and I thought continued to slow down. I didn't continue to look at the speedometer. A person has to look out the windshield once in a while. The burden of proof is not on me to prove I'm innocent. The burden of proof is on the prosecuting attorney.

Marine wife: I hope police officers are trained in the use of radar guns. It was used as evidence against me. I have a right under the 6th ammendment of the constitution to examine ALL evidence presented agaist me.
I went to district court yesterday to appeal the lower courts ruling. The judge dismissed the case. I get a refund and the city has to pay the court cost.
Veteran and Proud

Youngstown, OH

#18 Mar 12, 2007
I just got a speeding ticket in Middleburg Heights and he claims I was doing 4 miles an hour faster than what I actually was. That changed my fine from $95 to $137. Middleburg Heights is known to try and make money off of the 1/2 mile strech of I-71 that they are allowed to patrol. I am all for police doing there job. Just do it honestly. Unfortunately I don't have the time or the money to fight it or I would just on principle.

“Happy to be here”

Since: Dec 06

NW Ohio

#19 Mar 21, 2007
debbie039 wrote:
<quoted text> MARINE WIFE IS LAZY Well let me tell you buddy MARINES ARE FIGHTING FOR YOUR FREEDOM , SHOULD SUPPORT THEM . You must be talking about your self. PS MARINES ARE THE BEST> MY FIANCE IS A EX MARINE SO WHAT THAT MAKE ME LAZY???????? Nope you couldnt keep up with my energy and guess what I weigh only 115lbs .
He is not an EX marine.. LOL Once a Marine always a Marine.. My husband is no longer and ative duty Marine he is now a Police officer. But He is still a Marine. So is your Fiancee'

“Happy to be here”

Since: Dec 06

NW Ohio

#20 Mar 21, 2007
Veteran and Proud wrote:
I just got a speeding ticket in Middleburg Heights and he claims I was doing 4 miles an hour faster than what I actually was. That changed my fine from $95 to $137. Middleburg Heights is known to try and make money off of the 1/2 mile strech of I-71 that they are allowed to patrol. I am all for police doing there job. Just do it honestly. Unfortunately I don't have the time or the money to fight it or I would just on principle.
Ya'll realize the police don't get any money from the tickets? They have no reason to add a few miles per hour to your ticket or make up reasons to pull you over.

Oh and if you get pulled over try politely asking if they would give you a warning ticket. Sometimes if your nice and don't have an attitude the officer will give you a warning. At least my husband does that. Most of the guys at the department hate giving tickets they just have to.. It's their job.

“debbie039”

Since: Mar 07

some where in OHIO

#21 Mar 21, 2007
MarineWife wrote:
<quoted text>
He is not an EX marine.. LOL Once a Marine always a Marine.. My husband is no longer and ative duty Marine he is now a Police officer. But He is still a Marine. So is your Fiancee'
THATS WHAT HE ALWAYS SAYS YOUR RIGHT THOUGH SORRY TAKE CARE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
is there any ladys out there interested in sph? Oct 19 wolfnasty1556 1
sherry bailey/ use to case Oct 18 SOMEONEEEE KNOWS 1
Debate: Marijuana - Mansfield, OH (Aug '10) Oct 16 HarryTrueman 48
Mansfield City Officials Help ANTI-AMERICAN CU... Oct 16 HarryTrueman 4
Richland County prosecutor called a friend my many Sep 29 They cannot kill ... 1
any bdsm lovers in Mansfield Sep 25 Jack 2
Startek Mansfield (Jan '14) Sep 25 Jack 4
Bellville Dating
Find my Match

Bellville Jobs

Bellville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bellville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bellville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]