The talk of the town

The talk of the town

There are 23 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 3, 2007, titled The talk of the town. In it, Newsday reports that:

Six employees of the Hempstead Building Department and the wife of another applied this week for permits to legalize improvements already made to their homes, following the resignation of department ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
over taxed

Gilbertsville, NY

#1 Mar 3, 2007
The roaches are scattering, time to bring out the can of raid!
over taxed

Gilbertsville, NY

#2 Mar 3, 2007
That whole building dept is a total disgrace, The Federal Government need to get involved, they need a serious investigation! Kiss me Kate is handing out gold stars to these sons of female dogs, for there honesty, It seems to me, Mr Loeffel, may be singing like a stool pigeon! They all need to be fired, the whole bunch, These sons of female dogs, have the gall to give us hard working citizens a hard time with our improvements, when they just do what they want? and now they are applying for permits! Oh fk they all need to go, they are all slime from Kate, Loeffel, on down!
nlfrebel

Milford, CT

#3 Mar 3, 2007
Kate Murray is the best! there are NO TAX INCREASES!! The Town of Hempstead is in the black & will be for years.
Outraged Resident

AOL

#4 Mar 4, 2007
nlfrebel wrote:
Kate Murray is the best! there are NO TAX INCREASES!! The Town of Hempstead is in the black & will be for years.
Did you see the budget for 2007? 30 some odd million dollars more. They take a lot from their residents and could take far less and lower that budget if they would rid themselves of these fat corrupt cats and recruit new officials maintain appropriate salaries for the Building Dept personnel. Give some more thought to why they are in the black and just raized taxes. What are we financing? We paid too much therefore there is a surplus or money. Have you been to One Washington Street? You should see our tax dollars at work. Don't bother looking for an organizational chart with job descriptions and salaries posted.... it doesn't exist. If it did the tax payers would revolt and probe into the abuse and misuse of their hard earned dollars.
Charlie

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Mar 4, 2007
Something stinks in Hempstead. It's the stench of corruption. Pigs at the trough for sure. It's time to clean house in Hempstead. If Jay Jacobs had any brains, he'd start running the negative ads now.
over taxed

Franklin, NY

#6 Mar 4, 2007
nlfrebel wrote:
Oh this is the John Loeffel A s s K i s s er! WHAT TOWN OF HEMPSTEAD POSITION DO YOU HOLD?! Are you FAT like him?
over taxed

Franklin, NY

#7 Mar 4, 2007
SCROLL DOWN! SEE WHAT GEORGE FROM HEMPSTEAD WROTE, http://www.topix.com/forum/source/newsday/T70...
Concerned citizen

AOL

#8 Mar 4, 2007
To all the hypocrits and complainers living in the Town of Hempstead. Due me a simple favor and take an inventory of the exterior of your house. Perhaps you have a fence over 4', or a shed on your property that requires a permit; every shed does! Here's another question, did you ever replace a sink or commode in your home? If so, I wonder if you got the necessary plumbing permits? In the end I understand what these Town officials did was wrong; however, are they really criminals? Have we become a society that now would prefer they lose their jobs, pensions, etc? So they did not follow protocal, but again I ask, should they lose their jobs over this, I say no. I also say it's time to move on and have Newsday cover stories that have a much larger impact on every Long Island resident!!
Enlightened Resident

AOL

#9 Mar 4, 2007
Concerned citizen wrote:
To all the hypocrits and complainers living in the Town of Hempstead. Due me a simple favor and take an inventory of the exterior of your house. Perhaps you have a fence over 4', or a shed on your property that requires a permit; every shed does! Here's another question, did you ever replace a sink or commode in your home? If so, I wonder if you got the necessary plumbing permits? In the end I understand what these Town officials did was wrong; however, are they really criminals? Have we become a society that now would prefer they lose their jobs, pensions, etc? So they did not follow protocal, but again I ask, should they lose their jobs over this, I say no. I also say it's time to move on and have Newsday cover stories that have a much larger impact on every Long Island resident!!
There are bigger stories yet to come and after the corruption of our public officials is exposed then tell me if they shouldn't lose their jobs, pensions and medical benefits.....What you have read so far is nothing.....the worst is yet to come. Stay tuned.
Lifer

Gilbertsville, NY

#10 Mar 4, 2007
Hey Foss you better watch your ass, the Loeffel family are sue happy, they sue the s**t out of everyone for anything, and you Foss may be next, for not getting Loeffels proper permits! Isnt the contractor responsible for the permits? Foss you may be there next financial $$$$$$$$$$ target!
nlfrebel

Milford, CT

#11 Mar 5, 2007
Outraged Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you see the budget for 2007? 30 some odd million dollars more. They take a lot from their residents and could take far less and lower that budget if they would rid themselves of these fat corrupt cats and recruit new officials maintain appropriate salaries for the Building Dept personnel. Give some more thought to why they are in the black and just raized taxes. What are we financing? We paid too much therefore there is a surplus or money. Have you been to One Washington Street? You should see our tax dollars at work. Don't bother looking for an organizational chart with job descriptions and salaries posted.... it doesn't exist. If it did the tax payers would revolt and probe into the abuse and misuse of their hard earned dollars.
they didn't raise town tax but suozzi is about up to 12%
Chris

Bayonne, NJ

#12 Mar 5, 2007
these people only came foward because there boss was caught. they should be made to step down just like there boss
Grumpy

AOL

#13 Mar 5, 2007
Lifer wrote:
Hey Foss you better watch your ass, the Loeffel family are sue happy, they sue the s**t out of everyone for anything, and you Foss may be next, for not getting Loeffels proper permits! Isnt the contractor responsible for the permits? Foss you may be there next financial $$$$$$$$$$ target!
No ! The homeowner is ultimately responsible for the permits but as always contractors know they are not supposed to start work without the permits being posted on site. I delayed construction waiting for the permits. I had a written agreement for the contractor to get them but if I had waited for that I would still be waiting.
Joe

Freehold, NJ

#14 Mar 7, 2007
What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If the commissioner hadn't resigned, I'm sure he would have been fired & so should the rest of these violators. How can they be trusted to enforce the rules if they themselves ignored them?
caption action

Commack, NY

#15 Mar 7, 2007
Outraged Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
THEY DIDN'T RAISE TOWN TAX THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH COUNTY OR SCHOOL TAXES
caption action

Commack, NY

#16 Mar 7, 2007
IT'S TO BAD MY TAXES ARE IN MY MORTGAGE OR I WOULD STOP PAYING MY LOCAL STATE,COUNTY,SCHOOL,TOWN TAX & WEIGHT FOR MY FORECLOSURE LETTER TO COME WITHIN FOUR YEARS THEN PAY ONE MONTHS MORTGAGE THEN DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN WHILE KEEPING THE TAX MONEY IN THE BANK COLLECTING THE INTEREST, MAYBE IF ALL OF US DO THIS AS A TAX REVOLT THE ELECTED OFFICIALS WOULD LISTEN. WHEN GOVERNMENT & SCHOOLS GRIND TO A HALT
caption action

Commack, NY

#17 Mar 7, 2007
over taxed wrote:
<quoted text> Oh this is the John Loeffel A s s K i s s er! WHAT TOWN OF HEMPSTEAD POSITION DO YOU HOLD?! Are you FAT like him?
OVER TAXED & UNDER FED YOU ARE????? I DON'T WORK I'M ON FOOD STAMPS
very upset home owner

United States

#19 Mar 9, 2007
I have been waiting for a permit for 12 months. Paul Montemarano is my planner.
I think that it is terrible that the very same planner that will not work with you to acheive your goal, did not have a permit for his own residence and rushed to get one.I sure that he has done this to plenty of people. The entire way that you get a permit is terrible. The ladies that answer the phones are very nasty. I feel that we pay very high taxes on LI to be treated like this.
Enlightened Resident

AOL

#20 Mar 9, 2007
very upset home owner wrote:
I have been waiting for a permit for 12 months. Paul Montemarano is my planner.
I think that it is terrible that the very same planner that will not work with you to acheive your goal, did not have a permit for his own residence and rushed to get one.I sure that he has done this to plenty of people. The entire way that you get a permit is terrible. The ladies that answer the phones are very nasty. I feel that we pay very high taxes on LI to be treated like this.
I feel for you and the frustration and disappointment you feel. I am have been at the other end of the phone with those "Nasty Ladies". That whole building department is a terrible disgrace. It is not fixable and other than perhaps 2-3 Building Town Employee should be left standing. The rest of the crony crew needs to go. Question: Did you reach out to your Councilman? Did you call Kate Murray's Help Line (posted on line)? It might help in your case. It didn't in ours. But we did try everything we could to work with those people. Now it will be up to the legal system to deal with the issues with the building dept. They have learned nothing from the past.
Very Upset Home Owner

United States

#21 Mar 9, 2007
Thank you Enlightned Resident I am going to that web site right now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellmore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Sahdev Devinder (Dec '10) 4 hr Dee 25
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 13 hr Bruser 8,244
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) May 1 Bruser 2,612
News Franklin Square sex extortionist gets 4-8 years (Feb '08) Apr 29 Obi-1981 37
News Brooklyn man arrested in robbery of gold dealer... Apr 29 commodity broker 2
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Apr 27 marissamacc11 41
News Fire commissioner candidate accused of harassment (Dec '07) Apr 26 john doe 13
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bellmore Mortgages