2 L.I. students slain in Arizona

Full story: Newsday

Two high school friends from Long Island were shot and killed early yesterday by a man who ambushed them in an Arizona parking lot after a birthday celebration, Tempe police said.
Comments
381 - 400 of 411 Comments Last updated May 12, 2011
East Meadow LI

University Park, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#437
Feb 28, 2007
 
First of all I'd like to send my deepest prayers to the families of Nicole and Carol, you do not deserve to be put through such a horrific event. I did not know either of these girls but I am the same age as them and live just a few short minutes away.

This tragedy has humbled myself and many others that I know to not worry about the petty things in life, and just be thankful that you are able to live everyday to its fullest.

The people fighting and arguing on this message baord are absolutely repulsive. Two girls just died, for no reason and you are arguing about things that nonsensical. Please have some respect for the families, friends and foremost for yourself. I cannot believe that a nineteen year old is sitting here talking sense into adults that are fighting over the internet. Please go find something better to do with your lives and please learn to have a little more respect.

Second of all, how dare you "Family Values?" Blaming Carol's parents? That is probably the lowest of the low. Just because sends their daughter to an out-of-state college, as mine do, and lets them live a life with certain luxuries does not mean that they are throwing away their family values. How dare you?

In memory of Carol and Nicole please respect eachother.
RIP girls, you will be missed.
Social_Engineeri ng

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#438
Feb 28, 2007
 
Nice attack! Welcome to the forum. I come here frequently when I'm baord.
East Meadow LI wrote:
First of all I'd like to send my deepest prayers to the families of Nicole and Carol, you do not deserve to be put through such a horrific event. I did not know either of these girls but I am the same age as them and live just a few short minutes away.
This tragedy has humbled myself and many others that I know to not worry about the petty things in life, and just be thankful that you are able to live everyday to its fullest.
The people fighting and arguing on this message baord are absolutely repulsive. Two girls just died, for no reason and you are arguing about things that nonsensical. Please have some respect for the families, friends and foremost for yourself. I cannot believe that a nineteen year old is sitting here talking sense into adults that are fighting over the internet. Please go find something better to do with your lives and please learn to have a little more respect.
Second of all, how dare you "Family Values?" Blaming Carol's parents? That is probably the lowest of the low. Just because sends their daughter to an out-of-state college, as mine do, and lets them live a life with certain luxuries does not mean that they are throwing away their family values. How dare you?
In memory of Carol and Nicole please respect eachother.
RIP girls, you will be missed.
mary Iowa

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#439
Feb 28, 2007
 
My condolences wrote:
<quoted text>
Give me a freakin break. You expect sympathy for a guy and his family who killed two innocent girls. What is next? Do you want us to feel bad for Bin Laden and his family as well? Get real and show some respect for the two girl's families.
I went to Josh's wake Monday night and I hang on to the images of my son's sorrow, who was his best friend in Jr. High and kept in contact somewhat the past few years. I see his girlfriend sitting on the floor in front of his casket sobbing. His family a total wreck. As i sit with my son, he ask's me "Why did he do this?" I know theres always that question when someone dies "WHY" I told my son noone will ever know why. It's not because he was insane, a Bin Laden type person, psycho, etc... I also wonder about the 2 girls and their families and what a horrible happening also for them. I wonder alot these days, I worry alot too, because the Josh I knew would never have done this. But he did. It has left an impact on so many lives. I worry about my son who was a select few who viewed Josh's body and what a rememberence. I want him to remember him when he last saw him a couple years ago. This story has just blown me away and I want you to know it has impacted me like no other. Take a look around you and see how many people it has affected. And Im just a mom who knew Josh. Dont be so full of hatred, he was a human being and YES he made a REAL BIG MISTAKE, and others who loved him have to stay here on earth and live with it, but they have a
BIG LOSS to.
Social_Engineeri ng

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#440
Feb 28, 2007
 
Everyone wants to know how serious the relationship was between Josh and Alexandra. Were they going to be married? That might explain his actions to some degree. Thanks.
mary Iowa wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to Josh's wake Monday night and I hang on to the images of my son's sorrow, who was his best friend in Jr. High and kept in contact somewhat the past few years. I see his girlfriend sitting on the floor in front of his casket sobbing. His family a total wreck. As i sit with my son, he ask's me "Why did he do this?" I know theres always that question when someone dies "WHY" I told my son noone will ever know why. It's not because he was insane, a Bin Laden type person, psycho, etc... I also wonder about the 2 girls and their families and what a horrible happening also for them. I wonder alot these days, I worry alot too, because the Josh I knew would never have done this. But he did. It has left an impact on so many lives. I worry about my son who was a select few who viewed Josh's body and what a rememberence. I want him to remember him when he last saw him a couple years ago. This story has just blown me away and I want you to know it has impacted me like no other. Take a look around you and see how many people it has affected. And Im just a mom who knew Josh. Dont be so full of hatred, he was a human being and YES he made a REAL BIG MISTAKE, and others who loved him have to stay here on earth and live with it, but they have a
BIG LOSS to.
Social_Engineeri ng

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#441
Feb 28, 2007
 
mary Iowa wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to Josh's wake Monday night and I hang on to the images of my son's sorrow, who was his best friend in Jr. High and kept in contact somewhat the past few years. I see his girlfriend sitting on the floor in front of his casket sobbing. His family a total wreck. As i sit with my son, he ask's me "Why did he do this?" I know theres always that question when someone dies "WHY" I told my son noone will ever know why. It's not because he was insane, a Bin Laden type person, psycho, etc... I also wonder about the 2 girls and their families and what a horrible happening also for them. I wonder alot these days, I worry alot too, because the Josh I knew would never have done this. But he did. It has left an impact on so many lives. I worry about my son who was a select few who viewed Josh's body and what a rememberence. I want him to remember him when he last saw him a couple years ago. This story has just blown me away and I want you to know it has impacted me like no other. Take a look around you and see how many people it has affected. And Im just a mom who knew Josh. Dont be so full of hatred, he was a human being and YES he made a REAL BIG MISTAKE, and others who loved him have to stay here on earth and live with it, but they have a
BIG LOSS to.
Too bad Joshua's funeral/wake were not postponed a few days so that the Schiffman and Kestenbaum families could attend. I believe they really should have attended to achieve some sense of closure and forgiveness.
dan

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#442
Feb 28, 2007
 
Social_Engineering wrote:
Everyone wants to know how serious the relationship was between Josh and Alexandra. Were they going to be married? That might explain his actions to some degree. Thanks.
<quoted text>
well lets see here they were dateing for 5 years. he followed alex out to az for school. i would say it was pretty damn close to marriage
AZp

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#444
Mar 1, 2007
 
I hate reading all the horrible things about Josh Mendel rotting in hell.
I met Josh right when he moved to AZ. From the first day I met him he was nothing more than happy and very respectful. What Josh did was not in his nature I have no clue why he did it.
Josh was always the guy where if you brought someone new over to the house or anywhere he was the first one there to meet them and would make them feel so welcome. He was always happy and making us laugh.
I am truly sorry to the families and friends of Carol and Nicole.
To Josh's family I am to sorry for your grief you are going through.
AZ
cookie

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#445
Mar 1, 2007
 
this is why everyone should have a gun because if you dont own a gun...do you think the crazy people care they will own one no matter what the law says so stay protected and have a gun!p.s. I kind of had a relation with these girls.
from chicago

Aurora, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#446
Mar 2, 2007
 
Please tell me you are not blaming the parents of any of the victims. Just because you are jealous of a 20 year old who got "fixed up with a mercedes-benz" it is ridiculous to blame life style in a tragedy of this nature. Use your brain, if you have one.
Family Values 11710 wrote:
Let me see if I got this straight:
This young girl's family sends her across the United States to college, pays the high out-of-state tuition associated with Arizona State University, fixes her up in an off-campus gated luxury apartment community 6 miles from campus, and gives her a Mercedes-Benz to get her to and from class. And, her friend hops on plane from Washington to celebrate her birthday with her.
Sounds to me like there's not much education going on here folks.
Are parents complicit in this tragedy? Maybe.
Maybe, just maybe, the well off ought to stop smothering their kids in their money and smother them with love instead.
Family values aren't taught by throwing money at the kids!
Social_Engineeri ng

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#447
Mar 2, 2007
 
Just found out what is written on Alexandra Wake's shirt she is wearing in photo:
http://www.nypost.com/seven/02212007/news/nat...

It says "If you do not know my heart is His, then know I have no heart at all."

Notice the dude in the background flipping the bird.
jessica miller

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#448
Mar 4, 2007
 
sorry to the family of the victums i really feel for you my teacher is one of the friends of the victums, and it really hurt her when she found out what happen to her friends. An who ever wrote that sick comment you will be punished one day.
Long Island

Albany, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#450
Mar 6, 2007
 
from chicago wrote:
Please tell me you are not blaming the parents of any of the victims. Just because you are jealous of a 20 year old who got "fixed up with a mercedes-benz" it is ridiculous to blame life style in a tragedy of this nature. Use your brain, if you have one. <quoted text>
Okay...this guy is dumb if he believes that college students don't party AND get an education at the same time!! Let's be real here people!! And what the hell does that have to do with someone shooting these girls down? I'll be a Registered Nurse soon...when I have kids, if they do good in school and just are good kids all around, they will get nice things! Maybe not a Mercedes, but they will get brand new cars if they are good kids!! When kids do well, they should be compensated for it...not spoiled, but compensated!! And I can't stress enough that that has nothing to do with this kid killing them!!
Social_Engineeri ng

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#451
Mar 7, 2007
 
AZp

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#452
Mar 9, 2007
 
They didn't break during Super Bowl weekend! They broke up on V-day but were still hanging out as friends.
new law wrote:
Accoding to WNBC Joshua and Alexanderia broke up
during super bowl weekend. How low can one get.
Alexanderia is a knock out I can understand how Joshua thought is life was over. Carol had no right to get in between high school sweet hearts.
It a shame that Nicole had to get caught in this. If Joshua sought help then the PD should
have been able to find hime some. Maybe a new law
has to be passed to allow the PD to send someone seeking help to a hospital for an evulation. I mean how many people go to the cops for help but if the police have no procedures than they are not going to do anything! Still no exucse for Joshua
to take the 2 girls life's!
MariD

Potenza, Italy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#453
Mar 13, 2007
 
I want to send out my deepest condolences to the family of carol and nicole, I didn't know them very well but, i believe I went to Junior high with carol's sister or brother? I lived in bellmore all my life.... why take away such beauiful lives.... it's a shame that we live in such a horrific world.. Carol and Nicole may your light shine on all of the students in the Bellmore-merrick school district.
Andrea Cooke

Havertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#454
Mar 13, 2007
 
OMG...i love you carol, soooo much... R.I.P
new york

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#455
Mar 15, 2007
 
Youre an idiot wrote:
Your the nixxer that keeps quiet and minds your own business, I hope your getting the shit kicked out of you and noone helps you.
<quoted text>
that is the most repulsive comment that could possibly be made...i dont have anything nice to say, but i am saying it anyway. Joshua was a sick individual. its a tragedy how disturbed the young man really was, but that is NO EXCUSE for taking the lives of two innocent young women with their entire lives ahead of them. You should be ashamed of yourself, whoever you are. People say nasty things about others all the time, its a fact of life, but people dont go and shoot others when they hear something that upsets them.

My heart goes out to the schiffman and kestenbaum families...i can not even begin to imagine the pain you face.
Shar Walker

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#456
Mar 17, 2007
 
what a sad sad thing this is for all of them, the victims, their familes and friends.
Social_Engineeri ng

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#457
Mar 20, 2007
 
Well, I guess there will be a convertible Mercedes for sale sometime soon in AZ or NY.
Social_Engineeri ng

Valley Village, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#458
Mar 23, 2007
 
Just viewed the memorial service that the family arranged to have webcast worldwide. Very disturbing that instead of wanting to handle their daughters' loss in private dignity that the family(s) chose to turn this into a public spectacle.

Several issues are raised from the content of the memorial service:

1. What is the legal drinking age in Arizona?
"No one under the age of 21 is allowed to purchase or possess alcohol. Although in the performance of a religious service or ceremony, possession or consumption of alcohol is allowed."

2. Was the family/families aware of these girls' illicit alcohol consumption (references to consumption of wine, pictures of beer, tequila)

3. Disturbing to see so many youths performing "gang signs". This seems to be very prevalent among the hip-hop crowd who try to emulate behaviors borrowed from minority gangbanger groups.

4. Sounds like the individual described did not set very high goals for herself, although everyone who bought into her feel-good do whatever you please emotionalism cult is feeling very sorry. Now these friends are going to have to let go of their worship of infantilism and get on with their adult lives. Is rule of law a good thing for society? Is it only for the rank and file, to be ignored by the social engineer who recruits people to engage in reckless corruption?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Bellmore News Video

•••
•••

Bellmore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bellmore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Bellmore News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bellmore
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••