Social Security Denied Me Help Today

Social Security Denied Me Help Today

Posted in the Bellingham Forum

Bruce Deile

Bellingham, WA

#1 Mar 29, 2012
NIH link below states "immediate treatment is crucial"...if this is indeed spinal cord compression due to the lung cancer metastasizing. I don't know. But wanted to use Social Security back payment to rent somewhere in Seattle area for a week, then maybe by the month (Seattle has cancer centers). Monthly SSA payment is not enough; back payment is needed to be released, if only even a portion of it. They have stated I have a large back payment available but keep putting me off over past two years whenever I request it. Now situation may be getting more dire if the cancer is metastasizing and progresses more quickly. Because without the back payment, renting anywhere more than a week per month will not be affordable. A worse case scenario could involve 3-month prognosis, which would mean I'd die homeless while SSA money that is legally due me is deliberately withheld.

I explained that very carefully in SSA office this afternoon (Thursday; March 29th), and they replied the SSA manager decided not to release any back payment. Continue to put me off by saying it's up to (SSA in) Maryland to respond. That's what they've been saying the entire past two years.

Went to attorney downtown Bellingham; a nasty individual. Insulting demeanor; said if there was money in it for him he might be interested in helping. Again--nasty experience. To seek help from someone with such callous disregard for a human beings welfare, and for him to be that disrespectful. He refused to set up an appointment; told me to return with proof of there being SSA back payment due me and maybe then he *might* help. Etc.

SSA is the same agency now requiring new SSA recipients to get direct deposit--making vulnerable people all the more vulnerable to corruption (debit cards/"blue tooth technology"...

J Clin Oncol. 1992 Nov;10(11):1781-7.
Metastatic spinal cord compression secondary to lung cancer.
Bach F, Agerlin N, Sørensen JB, Rasmussen TB, Dombernowsky P, Sørensen PS, Hansen HH.
SourceDepartment of Oncology, University Hospital Herlev, Copenhagen, Denmark.

Abstract
PURPOSE: Metastatic spinal cord compression (MSCC) is a disabling complication to cancer, the optimal treatment for which is not settled. An analysis was performed for all patients with MSCC secondary to lung cancer in East Denmark from 1979 to 1988.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: The total series included 102 cases with small-cell carcinoma (SCLC; 40%), adenocarcinoma (ACL; 26%), squamous cell carcinoma (SQLC; 18%) and large-cell carcinoma (LCC; 9%). Symptoms, clinical presentations, and therapeutic results are described.

RESULTS: The outcome of treatment depended fundamentally on the patient's neurologic condition at the time of the diagnosis. All patients with SCLC who were able to walk at the time of MSCC remained ambulatory, whereas 15% of the nonambulatory SCLC patients regained walking ability. In non-SCLC, 95% of patients continued to be able to walk, whereas 22% regained the ability to walk. No major differences in the immediate outcome of treatment between the various histologic types of lung cancer and the different treatment modalities were observed; however, 82% of the patients with non-SCLC benefited from treatment with laminectomy followed by radiotherapy (RT) compared with either laminectomy (47%) or RT (39%) alone (P =.03, chi 2 test). The group of patients who were treated with laminectomy followed by RT had a better survival (median value, 3.5; range, 0 to 132 months) than patients who were treated with either laminectomy (median value, 1.5; range, 0 to 32 months) or RT (median value, 1; range, 0 to 59 months) alone (P =.03, log-rank test). No significant difference was observed in survival between the various histologic types of lung cancer (P =.18, log-rank test).

CONCLUSION: Despite a short survival, early diagnosis and immediate treatment is crucial because it may preserve the gait function in 97% of lung cancer patients who develop malignant spinal cord compression.
Bruce Deile

Bellingham, WA

#2 Mar 29, 2012
Thread may appear twice; it wasn't showing; tried again.
Bruce Deile

Bellingham, WA

#3 Mar 29, 2012
Other NIH sites explain corticosteroids are used to alleviate inflammation of the spinal cord (particularly if it is involving autoimmunity--immune system attacking myelin sheath). Could at least look into the matter, maybe have an MRI to determine if it is metastasis or transverse myelitis (which is what I thought it might be yesterday but wondering today if it is metastasis).

Either way, shelter is needed. The back payment is due me and SSA will not release it. I am responsible enough to use it for what the money is intended. The nasty attorney inferred about a Payee--when someone is appointed to handle your SSA money because you are incapable of doing so. That shouldn't apply--I am capable and explained clearly that the money is needed for shelter--a basic human need. Particularly if experiencing terminal illness.
Bruce Deile

Bellingham, WA

#4 Mar 30, 2012
Went through some paperwork, found an old Seattle P.I. article from 2009 or so. About elderly being evicted from nursing homes since medicaid was no longer enough. An elderly woman evicted from a nursing home walking in a bathrobe on a sidewalk was quoted saying she just wanted to lay down and die. It described "dumping"--like on a Friday afternoon the elderly person is taken and "dumped" off at a hospital. On returning, they find their room has been given to someone else. Etc.

Helped to realize I'm not alone.
Bruce Deile

Bellingham, WA

#7 Mar 30, 2012
Maybe I better accept this is an increasingly ruthless system we're in, and try to make the monthy SSA work for me somewhere else (where it might be possible to rent a room) and forget about the back payment.

In Dostoyevsky's 'Brothers Karamazov', Ivan says (when referring to his brother and father):

..."one reptile will devour the other"
Bruce Deile

Bellingham, WA

#8 Mar 30, 2012
In fact, I carried a sign around on my backpack in Truckee, CA with that Dostoyesky quote on it years ago. It seemed to sum up 'Life In These United States'(reader's digest column) most succinctly.

Ruthless people mock believing we should move away from Social Darwinism and competition and create a more humane system instead. That's what I just spoke about during public comment at last City council meeting (while speaking against legalization/taxation of marijuana as a capitalist commodity). But if we don't, it's "one reptile will devour the other", and further proof Chief Seattle was correct in prophesying the white people would one day choke on their own excess.
Bruce Deile

Bellingham, WA

#9 Mar 30, 2012
Or, even better stated:

"If it's this way in the green wood, how will it be in the dry?" (Jesus)
Hilly

Kansas City, MO

#10 Mar 31, 2012
Hi

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellingham Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Medical examinera s office identifies human sku... Thu binaries 1
Review: Complete Auto Repair Service (Apr '11) May 6 CARS4724 7
News Longview coal terminal environmental review rel... May 4 kalamamike 1
News Bellingham man sentenced to 9 months for 2013 rape May 3 TinMan 1
Aiming for Podium Finish in World Cup Alpine Do... Apr '16 NimbusSkier 1
News Measles cases show up in Metro Vancouver (Jun '13) Mar '16 Lizzy Gingerich 2
News Bellingham house uses the sun for heat, water, ... Mar '16 Lizzy Gingerich 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bellingham Mortgages