anonymous

Tuscaloosa, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2008

Just curious to see how people feel about Question 2 on the ballot this year. For those of you who unaware, this is known as the Massachusetts Senisble Marijuana Policy Initiative. This is NOT an act that would legalize the use of marijuana, it would:

A)Replace criminal penalties with a US$100 fine of which the proceeds go to the city where the offense takes place.

B)Eliminate collection of Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) reports for minor infractions.

C)Maintain current penalties for selling, growing, and trafficking marijuana, as well as the prohibition against driving under the influence of marijuana.

D)The law requires additional penalties for minors not in current law such as Parental notification, compulsary drug awareness program, and 10 hours community service. plus a larger US$1,000 fine and possible delinquency proceedings for those under 17 if they do not complete the requirements.

(Information courtesy of Wikipedia)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massachusetts_Se...

I for one am in favor of the potetial new policy. While many will argue that this will encourage teens to use marijuana, I find this claim to be false. Teenagers, Good or Bad, are likely going to experiement with alcohol and weed at some point, whether it be during high school or college.(Let me also say that I am not trying to justify or make using drugs and alcohol underage seem like "the normal thing to do") Inevitably, some of these teens that experiment are going to be caught by law enforcement.

Today, a seventeen year old caught with a small amount of marijuana will be arrested, will likely be put on probation, and will have a criminal record on their CORI form for 15 years. This means that until that 17 year old turns 32, they will have that possesion charge on their permanent record, preventing them from getting jobs, getting homes or apartments, and recieving student loans for college. I strongly believe that this is an unjust punishment for possesion of marijuana. This is due to multiple reasons.

A)Teenagers are bound to make bad decisions. Im pretty sure the majority of you reading this at some point in high school or college either experimented with marijuana or experimented with alcohol. Again, I am not justifying the use of weed or the underage use of alcohol, but I think you can catch my drift. Teenagers will inevitably going to make poor decisions, lets not punish them for the next 15 years.

B)The mind altering effects of marijuana are actually less then that of alcohol. Once again, I am not justifying the underage use of either of these, but I think it makes a good point. Alcohol affects your decision making ability and your hand-eye coordination. It also causes light-headedness,slow reaction time, nausea, and vomitting when used in excess. Marijuana makes the user relaxed and slows down reaction time.(It is also harmful to lungs, but considering tobacco is legal this isnt a relevant issue to the argument)

Thats my argument, Im interested to hear yours.
RedNeckRita

South Yarmouth, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2008

Judged:

^^^
Stoner
jen

Foxboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2008

you make great points, i agree with you 100%
mike m

West Newton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

Judged:

JUST DO IT
jbuttaz

West Newton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

POT RULES........
STONER

West Newton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

VOTE YES
Blitzed out of my brain

West Newton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

Judged:

smoking one a day keeps the doctor away
scared by big pharma

Uxbridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2008

Judged:

Yeah, let's give our teens more reasons to be irresponsible....I suppose we shouldn't be concerned about underage drinking either?

And while we are at it, let's put more people behind the wheel that are not fit to be driving. It isn't enought that I have to worry about drunks, people texting and chatting on cell phones, people holding their stupid DD coffees, those driving all hopped up on their zoloft and "sleep driving" with their lunesta and ambian, but now I have to worry about those who feel it is ok to get "just a little stoned" and then drive..because there will be no consequences?
SURE...why not change the laws for the other drugs too? Why have any laws for these dangerous substances at all? Let everyone make their own decisions and who cares if it takes a toll on innocent bystanders.
I say we need TOUGHER laws to scare these kids out of trying this stuff.
Wake up people...
skinny

Methuen, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

Judged:

i could not disagree with you more... making harder drug laws will force kids to do more hard drugs. how, kids do the opposite of what is told of them by adults. don't smoke, they'll smoke. don't drink, they'll drink. now you want to punish them and ruin their lives for the future because of some experimenting as a child? think before you speak.
MMM80

Hudson, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2008

scared by big pharma, don't spread misinformation.
The passing of question 2 does NOT make it legal to drive under the influence of marijuana. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you go spouting off about what "we need" to do.
scared by big pharma

Uxbridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2008

MY point is if KIDS think they can't get in trouble for having a small amount of pot, then they WILL use it and at some point get behind the wheel. How much will they use before they do? Will they use all but their "legal" ounce?

Obviously those who are so disturbed by my opinions are those who are probably using pot.

So skinny, we should just abolish ALL laws so that people will continue to do the opposite??
If we don't have laws for murder and rape, those crimes will stop? You must be a genius!!

Kids, as well as adults, need to learn that we have laws and we need to abide by them.

Let's see how you feel when some stoned teenager rams into your beemer!
I repeat, kids don't need any more excuses for bad conduct. I am sick of "not my kid".

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bellingham Discussions

Search the Bellingham Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) 22 hr Wared Out 1,146
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Jul 8 Kundrot dionkie 4,690
Missing street sign Jun 30 Ellie 1
Review: Quintanilla Tax Attorneys Jun 28 Anonymous 1
Courthouse Records May '14 Elise Gingerich 2
Stop running yourt mouth and come confront me. ... (Apr '13) May '14 Elise Gingerich 2
Worcester County DA: Nicolas Guaman Sentenced 1... May '14 stopracismagainst 1
•••
•••

Bellingham News Video

•••
•••

Bellingham Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Bellingham People Search