Dress Code Crackdown

Dress Code Crackdown

There are 272 comments on the WOWT-TV Omaha story from Jan 6, 2006, titled Dress Code Crackdown. In it, WOWT-TV Omaha reports that:

Feud over enforcement of rules Fashionably ripped and torn jeans won't cut it at Bellevue East High School.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WOWT-TV Omaha.

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
lizzy

Bellevue, NE

#1 Jan 8, 2006
I am a freshman at East, and I don't see why we all of the sudden have to change our dress code. Supposibly they warned us through our morning announcements, but even if they did, we wouldn't know.
1. Kids talk to their friends durring homeroom, nobody can hear the announcements
2. It wasn't on the bullteins on line, my mom reads them daily
3. Kids and parents don't always talk, so when the parents buy the kids the new clothes for christmas, they buy what is already popular, or they know their child will like
etc etc

Also, they just one day randomly started to enforce the rule, which in all of my years in Bellevue Public Schools has yet to be enforced. I guess the torn jeans are tatty, mohawks and piercings are distractions, tatoos on wrists take away from our learning environment etc.
I am a straight A student, in all the advanced classes, and I don't follow trends often. Yet, I like the holey pants as long as they cover up a majority of my body. Another thing is is at my heigh 5' my mom has to shorten my pants, but they still sometimes get really frayed at the bottom. I guess I'll have to be sent home a lot.
You know what is pathetic? when your parents disagree with it. OH! And the cheerleaders get to wear their skimpy show my whole body uniforms on game days, but we can't wear a pair of holey jeans. I find their uniforms more distracting then our jeans.
manda

Omaha, NE

#2 Feb 1, 2006
I def agree. why the heck are schools trying to crack down now? If they have a problem with it, why didn't they do things or take charge earlier in past years? It's crap! Like today- I go to benson, am a good student and am involved in many extra curricular activities. Starting February 1st we start ISS(in school susspension). I was sitting at lunch and som lady came over and introduced herself as "DANIELLE FROST, THE ISS INSTRUCTOR" ha... okay, that's real nice. Hello..., but no, that's not what she wanted to do. After introducing herself as that, she asked this question. "What s wrong with this picture?" I merely looked around, at my friends, and then at me. She then said, "What are you ladies wearing?" I replied with clothes. I didn't understand what kind of response she was wanting, cause i for the first time, was wearing a baggy shirt aand swishy jogging pants with sandles. Kels(my friend)= a brown long sleve that hung a bit off her shoulders with a tank under. MISS DANIELLE FROST asked what we were trying to do and what the message we thought we were portraying to the GUYS at our school was. I laughed, and said BOYS? Yea, I'm not portraying any message... I am dressed conservative. And quite frankly I really don't care what any one thinks of me. She told me I should. I asked why. I guess I stumped her. She then said the reason my outfit was inappropriate was because if I were to raise my hands to reach into a locker (which I NEVER use) my mid driff would be showing. Hell if I change what I wear cause some new broad don't like it. I told her I work hard and with the money I make I buy my clothes. I like the clothes i buy. I will wear them. I then asked, why i should have to buy two wardrobes to satisfy her? I then told her once she stars working for me and making my money she can buy me clothes, but until then, I will wear what I want when I want where I want... even if I am portraying some kind of message to those I could really give a crap about.
-manda
Second Thoughts

Ontario, CA

#3 Feb 18, 2006
manda wrote:
I def agree. why the heck are schools trying to crack down now? If they have a problem with it, why didn't they do things or take charge earlier in past years? It's crap! Like today- I go to benson, am a good student and am involved in many extra curricular activities. Starting February 1st we start ISS(in school susspension). I was sitting at lunch and som lady came over and introduced herself as "DANIELLE FROST, THE ISS INSTRUCTOR" ha... okay, that's real nice. Hello..., but no, that's not what she wanted to do. After introducing herself as that, she asked this question. "What s wrong with this picture?" I merely looked around, at my friends, and then at me. She then said, "What are you ladies wearing?" I replied with clothes. I didn't understand what kind of response she was wanting, cause i for the first time, was wearing a baggy shirt aand swishy jogging pants with sandles. Kels(my friend)= a brown long sleve that hung a bit off her shoulders with a tank under. MISS DANIELLE FROST asked what we were trying to do and what the message we thought we were portraying to the GUYS at our school was. I laughed, and said BOYS? Yea, I'm not portraying any message... I am dressed conservative. And quite frankly I really don't care what any one thinks of me. She told me I should. I asked why. I guess I stumped her. She then said the reason my outfit was inappropriate was because if I were to raise my hands to reach into a locker (which I NEVER use) my mid driff would be showing. Hell if I change what I wear cause some new broad don't like it. I told her I work hard and with the money I make I buy my clothes. I like the clothes i buy. I will wear them. I then asked, why i should have to buy two wardrobes to satisfy her? I then told her once she stars working for me and making my money she can buy me clothes, but until then, I will wear what I want when I want where I want... even if I am portraying some kind of message to those I could really give a crap about.
-manda
I went to Benson, too. Back in the 80's.

My only interjection is, in your story, do you see the disrespect you show for her and her authority? You want her to respect you, yet you disrespect her and her authority.

Do you think she's doing this just to piss you off? No! It's her job. And all you're doing is making her job harder, by your disrespectful mouthing-back. Like it, or not, she's only looking out for you and your friends.

Right now, in your can learn no more, I know everything, teen-age mind, you can't see this. But in a few years, when you have children of your own in school, you'll see that she was right and you were out of line.
David

Sacramento, CA

#4 Mar 5, 2006
Okay, I don't go to benson, but I am going through with the same thing practicly at our school. They're not changing the dress code, but she's enforcing it. We've never had it enforeced and all ofa sudden we have a new principal and she wants us to abide by the dress code. This is totally new to us because we have always had t his loose code that we just skimp by. It's dumb. I agree with some of you and it is their job to enforce the dress code, but why now? Why have they been letting us accustom to a lossely based dress code before and now she wants to change all of it. It makes no sense.
zach

United States

#5 Mar 7, 2006
i think we should get to where hats in school
Second Thoughts

Hesperia, CA

#6 Mar 8, 2006
zach wrote:
i think we should get to where hats in school
Wearing hats indoors is rude and inconsiderate and just plain bad manners.
haha

Plattsmouth, NE

#7 Mar 8, 2006
YEA
zach

United States

#8 Mar 8, 2006
haha wrote:
YEA
why is it rude????
Bree J

Omaha, NE

#9 Mar 8, 2006
Ok Dress Codes Suck. We should get to wear what we want. Whats the deal if we have holes in our pants at least your wearing stuff that cover other parts. A few holes dont matter if there not in the private region i'm all for it. It's not sexy its just holes let us have them.
Second Thoughts

Hesperia, CA

#10 Mar 10, 2006
Bree J wrote:
Ok Dress Codes Suck. We should get to wear what we want. Whats the deal if we have holes in our pants at least your wearing stuff that cover other parts. A few holes dont matter if there not in the private region i'm all for it. It's not sexy its just holes let us have them.
What if someone wanted to wear holes in their private parts? By you saying no, you're being unfair to them. You can't have an I can wear what I want, but you can't wear what I don't want you to wear. Either, it has to be all, or nothing. Either you dress presentable as society dictates, or you dress like a skank.

I remember getting expelled for wearing a T-Shirt. At that time,I thought just as you think, now. Now, that I have a few more years wisdom, I see that they were well within their right, as you will in a few years. If everyone does what is right in their own eyes, you have anarchy and in anarchy, no one has rights.
Second Thoughts

Hesperia, CA

#11 Mar 10, 2006
zach wrote:
<quoted text>why is it rude????
Because, society says it is. There are rules within a social structure that determines what is acceptable, and unacceptable behavior. These rules are meant for the smoothest, least cumbersome way that the society is to function. Some is formality, some is presentation, some is for practical purposes. As time changes, so do the rules. Twenty years ago, writing in all capitals wouldn't be considered yelling, because the online structure had not been established. However, stupid that seems now, it has become established protocol.
Bree J

Omaha, NE

#12 Mar 13, 2006
Dont wear them in your private parts I wouldnt want my unborn child to.
Rob

Monterey, CA

#13 Mar 13, 2006
I was young once.
In high school I didn't want anyone telling me how to dress.
Now that I'm older with high school age children I see myself trying to dress my kids (buy them clothes).
It's a whole different world today but earlier comments "you find it out when you get older" is 100% true.
We all grow up and forget our teenage fads.
Silent one

Omaha, NE

#14 Mar 13, 2006
I feel that it should be approperiate clothing in school. Uniforms and ect.. is too much. T-shirts with vulgar pictures and language and jeans with holes are tacky. It doesn't represent anything good.
Bree J

Omaha, NE

#15 Mar 14, 2006
Wahat ever you people say I'm just telling you I wouldnt let my unborn child wear Clothing with holes in teh privates.
JACQUELINE VASQUEZ

Long Beach, CA

#16 Mar 16, 2006
Bree J wrote:
Ok Dress Codes Suck. We should get to wear what we want. Whats the deal if we have holes in our pants at least your wearing stuff that cover other parts. A few holes dont matter if there not in the private region i'm all for it. It's not sexy its just holes let us have them.
HELL YEAH IM WITH YOU ALL THIS DRESS CODE THINGS GOING ON REALLY SUCK I THINK WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO USE ANYTHING WE WANT
JACQUELINE VASQUEZ

Long Beach, CA

#17 Mar 16, 2006
dress codes are really a good cause at times for example many guys in my school have the tendesy to be wearing their pants all the way to their ass and i think that is just so geto know but a little holes and your pants should not be a problem unless it is in a inappropiate spot like knees and legs would be fine and also i dont think that wearing their pants all the way to their bottom is really cool in my opinion this stylee came out from jail my cousin was in their for 5 years and since they cant wear belts they had their pants all the way to their bottoms and once they got out they got use to having their pants like that other people saw it and thought it was the new style so i say you copy nice styles not styles that come from bad places
Silent one

Omaha, NE

#18 Mar 16, 2006
Why is there a need to wear clothes that are worn out? Alot of people wear odd or really skimpy clothing to get attention.... Unfortunately it can lead to the wrong attention. I feel that it could be risky.
spiderman

Papillion, NE

#19 Mar 21, 2006
It's hard to draw the line between what's appropriate and what is not. Someone will always try to push the envelope. Too bad the administration did't present their case in a better way. But generally, I agree that you shouldn't wear clothes that are too revealing, but I still like it when they do, or have holes in them. But to disallow frayed pants (on the hem) that's going a little too far if you ask me. It's something everyone's going to have to get used to.
hahahhah

Mansfield, OH

#20 Mar 21, 2006
dwdw shut up queer!!!!!!!!!!
what if i want to dress like a dirty skank

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellevue Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News On Your Side - Pot Pie Recall (Oct '07) Mar 23 pot pie joe 49
Jeremy (Jay) Franks owner of Evolution Systems (Sep '16) Mar 22 Brosius 8
Meds and Others Mar 4 Officer Stadanko 2
News Iowa, Nebraska senators re-introduce immigratio... Feb 26 Cordwainer Trout 3
News Plattsmouth Boy Identified; Police Say He Suffo... (Jul '07) Feb 24 Paul D 3
How to Order Prescription Drugs Safely Online Feb '17 klhfr 1
WHY ELLA and APRIL iler Feb '17 Brosius 11

Bellevue Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bellevue Mortgages