Family Questions Teacher Leaving Student Alone On Trip

Apr 25, 2013 Full story: WOWT-TV Omaha 30

A Falls City, Nebraska family is questioning the school discipline of a teacher regarding an out-of-town trip with their daughter.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Common Sense

Nebraska City, NE

#26 May 9, 2013
Other opinion wrote:
"I can not believe you people" "Really" You really think that the school should not be help responsible for a kid in high school that is representing their school that they get the recognotion for. They diod not put any pecifacations in a note to the parents saying that they should come with the daughter. and maybe there were other reasons they couldn't make it.
At least they are not there forcing their child to be popular just so they can have status as some of the upits do in FC. I mean really this is a kid and if it were your kid that this happened to because for some unseen reason you could not make it. Then it would be diffrent. Then someone would have to answer for it.
This is a kid it dosent matter whos kid or how much they make. she was on a school orented sports funtion and the school IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HER NO MATTER ANY OTHER CERCUMSTANSIS. That is really low putting blame on anyone it is still a kid that should have been supervised by the school personel at leat one of them. I am sure she wasnt the only kid on this trip.
First off, how could the child go without the parents permission and knowledge of what was to transpire during this event? You keep reiterating two issues in that you feel popularity is one and monetary gain from the school another. Bottom line is parents are and should be responsible and active in the child's life and activities. The school should not have to babysit the kids and the parents.
My 2 Cents

Nebraska City, NE

#27 May 9, 2013
To make a long story short, if you don't like the way people act, don't be around them. If you don't like what the school does or did, don't send your kid on another trip. Period. It's over. But, if all you want is money, keep posting and telling everyone about it, then try to sue. Fact is, it is probably about money.

Since: May 09

United States

#30 May 17, 2013
It looks like it's true that the majority of people in the US are functionally illiterate. From the posts, it's obvious that people were able to read the words but did not understand what they read.

The question did not concern the student, her maturity, or her ability to "make it on her own". The question was solely about whether the school had any responsibility toward her. That is unrelated completely to her personal qualities, or those of any other "kids today".

The poor teacher was sent acroos state lines alone with a female student. I'm sure he was a prince among gentlemen, but what could the school have been thinking in this age where appearance is so much more important than substance? Were they TRYING to get him in trouble?

And I don't believe that he, as a new teacher, would defy the school if they had told him to stay in Omaha. Who knows? He could have had a sick kid and they even told him to drive back. He deserves thanks for driving her at all.

But any school administrators who would set this up, not send at least a female teacher, and then fail to even defend the teacher for most likely doing what he was told, are ignorant hicks that have no business being within a mile of any child, let alone designing their education. They all need to get different jobs.

Since: May 09

United States

#31 May 17, 2013
Amen wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds like the truth has spoken.
That's really the whole point. How was the school involved in this at all? If they just gave her a ride, then they had no responsibility to babysit her. If she had gone on a plane, would they have expected the pilot to stay with her (or nearby), too? But if it was a school choice, then they had the job of staying there. But I'm sure the teacher did what he was told to do, so people should lay off him and chase the real morons in this, the school administrators, who apparent sent a young teacher alone across state lines with a 17-year-old girl. Tell me how the poor guy could have done everything right under those circumstances.
Bottom Line

Nebraska City, NE

#32 May 18, 2013
Moscowman wrote:
<quoted text>
That's really the whole point. How was the school involved in this at all? If they just gave her a ride, then they had no responsibility to babysit her. If she had gone on a plane, would they have expected the pilot to stay with her (or nearby), too? But if it was a school choice, then they had the job of staying there. But I'm sure the teacher did what he was told to do, so people should lay off him and chase the real morons in this, the school administrators, who apparent sent a young teacher alone across state lines with a 17-year-old girl. Tell me how the poor guy could have done everything right under those circumstances.
Bottom line is mother should have taken responsibility as a parent and taken the child herself. As well all concerned knew before the girl left town the teacher was coming back for a school event. Any objection should have been made then. Looks like the parent essentially gave the teacher and the student permission to leave the student in Omaha. Again bottom line is teacher was trying to do something nice for the student and and everyone involved was aware of what was going to transpire during this event.
example

United States

#35 May 22, 2013
Another shining example of parents that expect the "system" to take care of everything for them and their kids. WELFARE FOR ALL!
Again

Nebraska City, NE

#36 May 22, 2013
mmmmm wrote:
and no ever one was not aware of what was going on ... he did it all and did not tell the school or the parent ... they thought she had some one up there with u ... I women teacher was in Omaha that day and could have stayed with her but the male teacher told her he had to come bach to falls city ....
Again the root cause is the parent not being responsible enough to take the child to the event themselves. If it was that big of deal for her to go. I would not let my child go anywhere by themselves or with someone else especially overnight without knowing all the details of what was going on.
wow

Falls City, NE

#41 May 22, 2013
Hometown3 wrote:
A school function, did the coaches have the parents take their kid to the state play-offs individually? Hey, maybe the student's mother couldn't afford to go, does that make her a bad kid? Sheesh, you people are pathetic. The girl was representing her school, the school needed to make sure she was safe no matter if she is rich or poor, most schools do that you know. Oops, I forgot Falls City doesn't like the poor kids representing the school, after all the poor kids aren't supposed to be smart , right?
Inn. If you'll excuse me. The world doesn't revolve around thus one girl. He had to be at school to hello the other band kids. She's lucky he drive her up there to participate in it anyways...people freaking retarded if you think that its all about the 'rich' kids. You are Pathetic Hometown3
wow

Falls City, NE

#42 May 22, 2013
Btw wasn't a school sponsored event. SCHOOL CAN'T BE HELD RELIABLE FIR THUS EVENT! I bet the person posting all these NEGATIVE post is the mom of the daughter... Get a life and MOVE ON!
BlackRose0420

Falls City, NE

#48 Nov 7, 2013
I know this lady personally!! and know that she DOES in deed volunteer at the school for school functions!! This mother you are referring to is one of my dearest friends and she DOES EVERYTHING in her power to make sure her kids are safe and taken care of! If i sent my child on a school trip with a teacher I would EXPECT the teacher to keep an eye out for my child! just because its after hours or whatever they are still responsible!!.. And this teenager is a very talented and smart student, being poor or rich HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellevue Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Immigration - Omaha, NE (Jun '10) Dec 14 Joe smoo 13
Art notes (Apr '14) Dec 11 Trvo 2
Review: Auto Bath House Dec 11 Tyrone 14
Review: Mattress Peddler (Nov '08) Dec 8 cruisepiyer 46
Marquette official chosen as Creighton president Dec 8 Being Dri9ven Away 1
Police Arrest Store Manager Who Claimed She Was... Dec 6 Investigate Fraud 2
Woman who claimed wedding ring stolen arrested Dec 6 Investigate Fraud 1
Bellevue Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web