Family Questions Teacher Leaving Student Alone On Trip

Apr 25, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WOWT-TV Omaha

A Falls City, Nebraska family is questioning the school discipline of a teacher regarding an out-of-town trip with their daughter.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
wow

Nebraska City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Guess they just don't raise kids like they used to. At seventeen kids used to be able to be aware and responsible enough to take care of themselves in a situation like this. In fact we used to relish the independence that an opportunity like this would have given us. At seventeen many would be graduating in less than a month and was prepared and ready to leave the nest.......gladly.
Wowowow

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Any school should be expected to chaperone students, even if the student is a Senior. This is negligence and the school needs to answer to why they let this happen.
Hometown

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Why didn't the mother take her up to Omaha?
Hometown2

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

Hometown wrote:
Why didn't the mother take her up to Omaha?
That is an excellant point. Why wouldn't a parent be along?
Hometown3

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 27, 2013

Judged:

A school function, did the coaches have the parents take their kid to the state play-offs individually? Hey, maybe the student's mother couldn't afford to go, does that make her a bad kid? Sheesh, you people are pathetic. The girl was representing her school, the school needed to make sure she was safe no matter if she is rich or poor, most schools do that you know. Oops, I forgot Falls City doesn't like the poor kids representing the school, after all the poor kids aren't supposed to be smart , right?
Curious

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Hometown3 wrote:
A school function, did the coaches have the parents take their kid to the state play-offs individually? Hey, maybe the student's mother couldn't afford to go, does that make her a bad kid? Sheesh, you people are pathetic. The girl was representing her school, the school needed to make sure she was safe no matter if she is rich or poor, most schools do that you know. Oops, I forgot Falls City doesn't like the poor kids representing the school, after all the poor kids aren't supposed to be smart , right?
. From out of town and do not know any thing about these people or the girl, but from your comments are you saying these people are poor and cannot afford to attend or provide transportation for her? Is the school required to make sure she attends this event? Were the parents not informed of all the plans made prior to making the trip? Rich or poor any parent's primary concern should be for the welfare of their children and not depend on someone else to do it for them.
wonder

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

She could just as well of gotten stabbed in her own home just last week. Look on the front page of April 23 Falls City Journal where a girl stabbed her husband. This happened in their house.
Curious one

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Curious wrote:
<quoted text>. From out of town and do not know any thing about these people or the girl, but from your comments are you saying these people are poor and cannot afford to attend or provide transportation for her? Is the school required to make sure she attends this event? Were the parents not informed of all the plans made prior to making the trip? Rich or poor any parent's primary concern should be for the welfare of their children and not depend on someone else to do it for them.
Have you had kids in school? For gosh sakes you send them to school and you KNOW they will be taken care of and watched over. When a teenager is going on a school trip such as band clinics or other events , someone from the school should be watching them, after all, the kids are not adults yet.Schools always have a parent volunteeering or a teacher making sure things are going okay, and I have never ever known of a student driving themselves to an out of town event.
wonder

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Curious one wrote:
<quoted text>Have you had kids in school? For gosh sakes you send them to school and you KNOW they will be taken care of and watched over. When a teenager is going on a school trip such as band clinics or other events , someone from the school should be watching them, after all, the kids are not adults yet.Schools always have a parent volunteeering or a teacher making sure things are going okay, and I have never ever known of a student driving themselves to an out of town event.
This event was something the students could attend but the school was not providing transportation to. The teacher provided transportation on his own time and the parent knew ahead of time that it was over night. She doesn't work and if she thought she needed supervision, she should have went with her instead of pushing her off on someone else.
henry

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

I've got an IDEA...take the initiative and effort put into the reporting of this story and volunteer and help out with the kids. Go along and support her, Mama! As a volunteer at most all of the extra-curricular activities in FC in recent years I haven't noticed Mama working at even one of them! Falls City HS is an excellent institution. And that's the rest of the story!...
Reality

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

wonder wrote:
<quoted text> This event was something the students could attend but the school was not providing transportation to. The teacher provided transportation on his own time and the parent knew ahead of time that it was over night. She doesn't work and if she thought she needed supervision, she should have went with her instead of pushing her off on someone else.
This sounds like the rest of the story. Amen brother.
Reality

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

henry wrote:
I've got an IDEA...take the initiative and effort put into the reporting of this story and volunteer and help out with the kids. Go along and support her, Mama! As a volunteer at most all of the extra-curricular activities in FC in recent years I haven't noticed Mama working at even one of them! Falls City HS is an excellent institution. And that's the rest of the story!...
Excellent idea.
Curious

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Curious one wrote:
<quoted text>Have you had kids in school? For gosh sakes you send them to school and you KNOW they will be taken care of and watched over. When a teenager is going on a school trip such as band clinics or other events , someone from the school should be watching them, after all, the kids are not adults yet.Schools always have a parent volunteeering or a teacher making sure things are going okay, and I have never ever known of a student driving themselves to an out of town event.
So what you are really saying is the school is basically a daycare for you.
curious one

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Curious wrote:
<quoted text> So what you are really saying is the school is basically a daycare for you.
Legally the schools are responsible, remember Sandy Hook, Columbine . I guess if it was your way, the teachers who were killed died in vain. High school kids are not adults and still need guidance in their lives and should still be chaperoned on trips.
Curious

Overland Park, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

curious one wrote:
<quoted text> Legally the schools are responsible, remember Sandy Hook, Columbine . I guess if it was your way, the teachers who were killed died in vain. High school kids are not adults and still need guidance in their lives and should still be chaperoned on trips.
So the school should be sued is what you are saying? In this case where the parent was fully aware of what the circumstances were concerning this event why did she allow the girl to go?
curious one

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Curious wrote:
<quoted text> So the school should be sued is what you are saying? In this case where the parent was fully aware of what the circumstances were concerning this event why did she allow the girl to go?
See the video. I would be hoppin mad if that happened to one of my grand kids. I would have talked to the Superintendent and then a lawyer. This teacher made a huge mistake and needs to do something else for a career.
Curious

Falls City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

curious one wrote:
<quoted text>See the video. I would be hoppin mad if that happened to one of my grand kids. I would have talked to the Superintendent and then a lawyer. This teacher made a huge mistake and needs to do something else for a career.
I totally disagree. How could there be a lawsuit when per previous posts by others indicate that the parent was aware of the circumstances surrounding this event and the girl wanted to stay in Omaha. Knowing all of this why would the parent agree to let the girl go in the first place. Also previous posts indicated the teacher paid for some of the cost out if his own pocket and provided transportation for which he is not required to do. It is starting to appear as though the motivating factors behind all of this is to try and obtain monetary gain through litigation.
for the teacher

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Curious wrote:
<quoted text>I totally disagree. How could there be a lawsuit when per previous posts by others indicate that the parent was aware of the circumstances surrounding this event and the girl wanted to stay in Omaha. Knowing all of this why would the parent agree to let the girl go in the first place. Also previous posts indicated the teacher paid for some of the cost out if his own pocket and provided transportation for which he is not required to do. It is starting to appear as though the motivating factors behind all of this is to try and obtain monetary gain through litigation.
I agree. Imagine if he did stay in the hotel with that girl?? He would have opened himself up to a whole new line of insults and negative comments. I wouldn't have stayed either if I were him!!
used to do this

Nebraska City, NE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 7, 2013

Judged:

I believe this is UNO honor band in Omaha that this is talking about and I attended 4 years in HS as well. The band director in FC at the time was a veteran teacher and he actually dropped us off at UNO and we were provided with someone to stay with during the clinic. I was able to stay with family members but others from FC had other options they chose, we never saw our band director until the day of the concert I dont think. So it just sounds like the band director didnt have transportation for the student or UNO wasnt prepared either.
Other opinion

White Cloud, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2013

"I can not believe you people" "Really" You really think that the school should not be help responsible for a kid in high school that is representing their school that they get the recognotion for. They diod not put any pecifacations in a note to the parents saying that they should come with the daughter. and maybe there were other reasons they couldn't make it.

At least they are not there forcing their child to be popular just so they can have status as some of the upits do in FC. I mean really this is a kid and if it were your kid that this happened to because for some unseen reason you could not make it. Then it would be diffrent. Then someone would have to answer for it.

This is a kid it dosent matter whos kid or how much they make. she was on a school orented sports funtion and the school IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HER NO MATTER ANY OTHER CERCUMSTANSIS. That is really low putting blame on anyone it is still a kid that should have been supervised by the school personel at leat one of them. I am sure she wasnt the only kid on this trip.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bellevue Discussions

Search the Bellevue Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Armed Robbery 11 hr Sherry 2
Review: KoKo's African Diversity Braiding Salon (May '11) Fri Judy 45
shooting ? Jul 7 Mark Twain 3
Minimum Wage Bill Makes It To November Ballot Jul 7 Incompetent Roboblogger 1
Wanting to level my driveway approach by grindi... Jul 7 Dan 1
Review: Audrey's Pet Grooming LLC (Oct '08) Jul 6 Sherry Burford 41
Woman Carjacked In West Omaha Jul 5 Hoover Niebold 3
•••
•••