Equipment plant to close

Equipment plant to close

There are 10 comments on the Centre Daily Times story from Oct 25, 2006, titled Equipment plant to close. In it, Centre Daily Times reports that:

Case New Holland Global N.V. on Wednesday told the 450 employees at its farm equipment manufacturing plant in Belleville, Mifflin County, that the factory will close in the next 18 months.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Centre Daily Times.

Anonymous

Bloomsburg, PA

#1 Oct 26, 2006
I think it is ridiculous that New Holland is closing. I am so angry about this. Just think of all of the families you are destroying by closing the plant. Think of the people for once in your life. Did you ever think about how this would affect the workers and their families or did you only think of how this would affect you and your stupid plant? Think about that for a change why don't you?
Ed Howell

Ephrata, PA

#2 Oct 26, 2006
All CNH is interested in is the bottom line. It's interesting how the production of the selfpropelled windrower has been shifted from plant to plant.
It started in Belleville in 1963. Was sent to Grand Island to be closer to the market. When Grand Island became a combine only plant it was sent back to Bellevile. Now it's going back to Grand Island.
Does this make sense?
Charles L Smeal II

Houston, TX

#3 Oct 26, 2006
NEW HOLLAND PLANT CLOSING.
I was disappointed to hear that you would be closing your manufacturing plant in Belleville, Pa. and Goodfield, Illinois.
Probably not as disappointed as those 650 people who have worked at these plants for many years and sure those who have moved on
to retirement.
It has been a foundation of the farming community for many years at both these small towns.
I have farmed with my family now for 30 years and we have purchased pieces of equipment built at the PA location.
It was a good feeling knowing the products we use in our operation were built by folks in our communities, our state, and
our country. Gives a sense of pride.
I know there's more to this story than what I know, the reasoning behind this move. But it is a shame that a company that got it's start in Pa
would move from it's foundation. Move away from the folks who built this great agriculture company it is today.
I know jobs will be moved to New Holland, PA and Nebraska, word is some to Canada and Poland as well.
But it is saddening to see you leave. Going to the Belleville Livestock auction I always made a point to get over to your plant to
see your employees products being loaded on trucks to be shipped all over the US. It is impressive to see the red and yellow
iron. Traveling down the interstate highway and seeing a load of equipment, knowing it came from my back yard.
Call me what you may, but it a sense of pride I have had. And I do not even work for your company.. But I am sure it is felt by many in these towns who do not work for you .It is how folks feel about an American product coming from their town. Also the many small business who have provide a service to your employees and your company in these communities. They also will feel the affects of your departure. It affects just more than the
650 employees who will be jobless. Once you close the doors you effect so many others that you do not even see.
With third-quarter earnings that rose 148 percent to $67 million compared to the same period a year ago I believe you
could come up with a better way to handle this than moving these jobs. Your employees desire it. Since 1942 they have been a part
of your family. They deserve more than this. Everyday we hear of America companies down sizing or moving to over countries, if we
do not employee American workers how can they expect to sale there products to American who have no jobs.
Be the leader and found a better solution to make millions of dollars.
Charles L Smeal II
PENNSYLVANIA FARMER
Lewistown

AOL

#4 Oct 26, 2006
I worked at the Belleville plant for more than 32 years . Nows here is something that did not use to happen in that company ,The public knew about these closing's before the people working there . No advance notice ,but you could see it coming from what was going on the last 10 or 12 years , They sold the foundry, that was the time it started down hill , then they started moving products out to make room for the skid loader production, so that was the main product for a lot of years. In about 1997 the company said that we had to start ISO .This was a system that you had to say what you do and do what you say .If we did not start that system we could not compete overseas . So we did , this means documenting everything you do, putting it in writing and in some cases taking pictures and movies of the operation .Right down to fixture numbers,Tool numbers of checking gages and how often you use them ,I mean it was so easy to take the expertise that the employees here at Belleville had and just up and send them to anywhere and all they had to do is follow instructions after a short time ,they too could produce products .Belleville had employees that knew what they were doing when it came to making farm machinery, But we were forced to turn that knowledge over so the people here will be out of work . They also did away with the manufacturing of parts several years ago that was a downfall . There was more than 1200 employees here back when it was at its peak . We had the foundry , We made most of the parts here for all products, and made some parts for other plants ,and we had a good work force that knew what they were doing . I am retired now but feel sorry for the ones that are not ,plus who knows what will happen to retirees .
Lewistown

AOL

#5 Oct 27, 2006
I worked at the Belleville plant for more than 32 years . Nows here is something that did not use to happen in that company ,The public knew about these closing's before the people working there . No advance notice ,but you could see it coming from what was going on the last 10 or 12 years , They sold the foundry, that was the time it started down hill , then they started moving products out to make room for the skid loader production, so that was the main product for a lot of years. In about 1997 the company said that we had to start ISO .This was a system that you had to say what you do and do what you say .If we did not start that system we could not compete overseas . So we did , this means documenting everything you do, putting it in writing and in some cases taking pictures and movies of the operation .Right down to fixture numbers,Tool numbers of checking gages and how often you use them ,I mean it was so easy to take the expertise that the employees here at Belleville had and just up and send them to anywhere and all they had to do is follow instructions after a short time ,they too could produce products .Belleville had employees that knew what they were doing when it came to making farm machinery, But we were forced to turn that knowledge over so the people here will be out of work . They also did away with the manufacturing of parts several years ago that was a downfall . There was more than 1200 employees here back when it was at its peak . We had the foundry , We made most of the parts here for all products, and made some parts for other plants ,and we had a good work force that knew what they were doing . I am retired now but feel sorry for the ones that are not ,plus who knows what will happen to retirees .
CNH Belleville Employee

Manheim, PA

#6 Oct 30, 2006
CNH doesn't give a GD what happens to any of us. This was a setup, and it's been brewing for a few years. 2 years after merging with Case the company yanked skid steer loaders from us. We made a 30% profit on those machines. They went to the Witchita, KS plant where they promised a 45% profit. That promise fell flat on it's face. they lost a bundle. So they gave us this hay and forage equipment and guess what? Belleville turned the fortunes of those products around. Now we're not good enough. Go to hell CNH.
robert bainey

Altoona, PA

#7 Apr 25, 2007
I am sorry to hear about the closing as I have seen many similar plant closing over the past 10 years. I am a financial advisor that specializes in fidelity funds from the central pa area. If you or other people would like to be informed of your retirement choices and how to access the money in the event you can not find employment right away please let me know. Thanks and good luck
Robert Bainey
Ferris Baker Watts Inc.
1-800-343-5149
[email protected]
Lewistown wrote:
Ex Belleville employee

Lancaster, PA

#8 Jun 3, 2007
I found a job that's 10 times better on it's worst day, then my job at CNH was on it's best day. I wish all my former belleville coworkers the best of luck, keep in mind there is life after "New Holland" and for me personally, the closure was the best thing that ever happened to me. But I agree with the above post...go to hell CNH!
JunkE

Harrisburg, PA

#9 Aug 7, 2007
Its their plant, if they want to close it that's their business. If you don't like it, open your own plant and eat profit loss to keep people happy.
JunkEsucks

Lancaster, PA

#10 May 5, 2010
JunkE you're nothing but a loud mouth douche. I see your posts on here all the time and you have no idea of how this effects people and lives but if I could show you I sure would...as well as a few other things too you worthless bag of feces

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belleville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sleeping CO back to work???? (May '15) May '17 Alby17944 19
Let's reminisce! (Apr '10) Apr '17 Jim5624 343
Mifflin County Deadbeat parents (Oct '14) Apr '17 What a joke 3
News Four charged with animal cruelty for dropping p... (May '13) Feb '17 air max shoes 26
Bar flys and street girls Jan '17 Matt Houser 1
News Harry J. - Punk' Smith Jr. Jan '17 Eileen Biddle 1
News Home healthcare nurse giving injection to senio... (Dec '16) Dec '16 Kenneth Lerch 1

Belleville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Belleville Mortgages