Racist food booth in Steelville, Illinois?

Posted in the Belleville Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of61
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Oct 08

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 21, 2008

Judged:

I'm ready to write a nasty letter to the local newspaper or the Chamber if Commerce, but I want to verify the story before I totally go off. I heard that at some kind of festival in the last two weeks, there was a booth offering "Pickaninny Freezes," which were frozen watermelon. I was disgusted. If it's true, the good people of this town should be ashamed! I heard this second-hand and haven't been able to find any info. Does anyone know anything about this?
Freedom Fighter

O Fallon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

Judged:

Frozen watermelon is disgusting? nobody told you to eat it or even go to the festival...get a life!!!!!
Sisyphus Fragment

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

Judged:

Pickaninny (also picaninny or piccaninny) is a term generally considered derogatory that in English usage refers to black children, or a caricature of them which is widely considered racist. It is a pidgin word form, which may be derived from the Portuguese pequenino (an affectionate diminutive of pequeno, "little [one]").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickaninny

I doubt the intent was to be racist, however they shouldn't repeat the mistake..

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2008

Judged:

Freedom Fighter...seriously, you had never heard of this racist term, or are you just being silly? Anyway, your comment was way off base, either way. Just because I find a food item to be disgusting does not mean I'm not allowed to attend a certain festival or make my opinion known. I may find deep fried twinkies disgusting, but it hardly means I can't attend a fair or that I don't have a life. Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Racism is wrong in any form. Those who practice it should "get a life!!!!!"

Sisyphus, I hope you're right; however, ignorance is no excuse for racism. I mean, they knew enough about the word to use it at their watermelon stand, so I don't see how they wouldn't think it might offend someone.
harmless

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2008

Judged:

maybe just a bad attempt at humor. what about cracker and other terms used often by blacks??
would the same not hold true??

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2008

Judged:

harmless wrote:
maybe just a bad attempt at humor. what about cracker and other terms used often by blacks??
would the same not hold true??
Do you honestly believe that "cracker" carries the same weight or has the same connotations as "pickaninny" or the "n" word. If so,you are sorely mistaken. This is not humor; it's ignorance, plain and simple. Again, ignorance is no excuse for racism.
Joy

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

Judged:

You have to be on guard about everything.I know there are some people who would not know what a pickaninney means.There are still many left over sayings and words that offend many.It`s all a part of our history.Go to the Ozarks sometime.You would pass out to know what still goes on there at thier festivals and fairs.I would`nt worry about it so much .Life is too short.
Fred

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

Judged:

My my -- let's see if we can force racism into everything shall we.
Why not just boycott the booth -- oops sorry -- is that derogatory towards boys or girls -- I forget.

Get a life.

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

Judged:

Oh, yeah, it's really "forcing" racism to be offended by the word "pickaninny!" This is exactly how racism is perpetuated.

Hopefully, President Obama will open some eyes and change some attitudes. What a great future our country faces with him as a leader!
Carrie

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

Judged:

What is Obama going to do? Come to the fair personally and tell them they cannot have pickaninney`s any more.Remember one thing he will have white people telling him what to do!You all act like he`s God.He is a man ,nothing more.They ought to take the word that begins with a N and take that out as well.What a blow that would be to the rap culture
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Since: Nov 08

Duquoin

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 7, 2008

Racism is racism no matter how you try to justify it, its not funny, there is no humor in it, you are right that was in very bad taste. The hard truth is there is always going to be racial tension in this world. Obama is President now what that means now...Remember Kings speech.."I Have seen the Promised Land, I may not make it there with you...." ok this is that day, alot of people thought they would never see one of their own running this country.What is he going to do? Who knows but I saw in a sit down interview that he did that he hates suffering so who know what he may do in the name of civil rights.
Katrina

Waterloo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 12, 2008

Freedom Fighter wrote:
Frozen watermelon is disgusting? nobody told you to eat it or even go to the festival...get a life!!!!!
If you are replying to the frozen watermelon, then you need to get a life! Can you not see how that is insulting? Just how insensitive of a prick are you?
FreedomFighter

O Fallon, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Judged:

Thats the problem, YOU ARE WAY TOO SENSITIVE!!! If you dont like it, DONT DO IT!!! FREEDOM ISNT FREE! YOU MIGHT SEE THINGS YOU DONT LIKE IN A FREE COUNTRY, YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS STICKING YOUR NOSE INTO OTHER PEOPLES BUSINESS!!FREEDOM WILL PREVAIL!!!!

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Judged:

Katrina wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are replying to the frozen watermelon, then you need to get a life! Can you not see how that is insulting? Just how insensitive of a prick are you?
You get a life, we now have a bastard child elected to the office of president so quit whining.
OK go

Evanston, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Just as an FYI ... whether or not it is racist or intended to be so, frozen watermelon treats are called "pickaninny freezes". The old signs for these are quite collectible.

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Reading posts 13, 14 and 15, it appears that racism and bigotry will prevail. h_hob, you should be ashamed of yourself. I'm embarrassed that you're an American. Your comment is so sad and frightening that I pity you.

Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Judged:

Jean Louise,

If you read the dictionary definition and the root of the definition you will find Obama fits it to a Tee. His father was in a marriage when he "married?" Obama's mother. Race has nothing to do with being a bastard, it is a rite of birth no matter the race.

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

h_hob wrote:
Jean Louise,
If you read the dictionary definition and the root of the definition you will find Obama fits it to a Tee. His father was in a marriage when he "married?" Obama's mother. Race has nothing to do with being a bastard, it is a rite of birth no matter the race.
I am familiar with the definition, but it seemed as if you were using it in a derogatory manner. My apologies if you were not. If someone called you a bastard or a bitch, wouldn't you be insulted, even though a bastard is the definition you listed above and a bitch is a female dog? Again, sorry if I'm misunderstanding you.

Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2008

Judged:

I like your style, when you make a mistake you admit it or apologize. I don't have an axe to grind because of race. However, I don't trust him at all about not tinkering with gun owners and what they will be allowed to have. He, after all, is supported by the Chicago political machine and they want to take all guns because they can't control the guns in Chicago. He is going to be the perfect horse to ride. I think he is gullible enough to try and get the entire federal government to outlaw guns. That all being said, he fits the description morally as well. Most people won't understand my feelings but he might as well be racist himself when I have owned a gun longer than he has been alive.

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

I suspect that guns are a non issue for Obama. Certainly there are more pressing concerns what with the economy and the war. The topic didn't come up in the debate, and I haven't heard him talking about it during the campaign. It's not even listed on his platform page as far as I can tell. It seems to indicate that he is somewhat for gun control but probably is happy to leave it up to state and local authorities.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of61
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

6 Users are viewing the Belleville Forum right now

Search the Belleville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr nnamhcsriK elaD yrogerG 48,668
Smithton area bars 21 hr Dude 3
becker (Jun '11) Tue Don 5
Crest Hill Dumps Fire Sprinkler requirement for... Tue Brenda 2
The Pedophile's apprentice Tue Pops girl 4
Former U.S. Senator From Illinois Alan Dixon Di... Jul 6 Richard R 1
att cell phones Jul 6 cocopebbles 10
•••

Flood Warning for St Clair County was issued at July 09 at 11:16AM CDT

•••
•••
•••
•••