letters

There are 12 comments on the Newsday story from Jul 13, 2008, titled letters. In it, Newsday reports that:

Flexibility a virtue in politics James Klurfeld's column "A politics of substance, not 'gotcha'" [Opinion, July 10] is right that, "Voters care more about the overall substance of a candidate's position than ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Domenica

United States

#1 Jul 13, 2008
Hey Robert Karl and all others who read this.
17,000 gallons X 20 miles per gallon = 340,000 miles. Who is accountable for checking the amount of fuel pumped. Oh, it's a county vehicle I forgot.
Irene

Essex Junction, VT

#2 Jul 13, 2008
I've heard much about Nassau County's "wall of shame" for drunk drivers. I'm leaning toward the view that this is inappropriate, and more reflects the image problems of politicians than alleged acts of a named civilian population. It's perceived as good PR for accused politicians. Who are the accused? So far it's the county executive and district attorney. People are entitled to their day in court as well. Furthermore, DUI penalties seem too harsh when no injury or accident is involved. It should not be a felony in those cases. Am I mistaken here? Losing your license should be sufficient, mandatory substance abuses classes, fines. It seems too easy to obtain a conviction for a DUI given the required breathalizer test. I think this is a boon for prosecutors, giving them easy felony convictions and a scorecard for their career advancement in the prosecutor's office, as well as inflated conviction rates for the district attorney. It also distracts the public from more serious issues, particularly those concerning corruption.
Jimmy

United States

#3 Jul 13, 2008
Irene wrote:
I've heard much about Nassau County's "wall of shame" for drunk drivers. I'm leaning toward the view that this is inappropriate, and more reflects the image problems of politicians than alleged acts of a named civilian population. It's perceived as good PR for accused politicians. Who are the accused? So far it's the county executive and district attorney. People are entitled to their day in court as well. Furthermore, DUI penalties seem too harsh when no injury or accident is involved. It should not be a felony in those cases. Am I mistaken here? Losing your license should be sufficient, mandatory substance abuses classes, fines. It seems too easy to obtain a conviction for a DUI given the required breathalizer test. I think this is a boon for prosecutors, giving them easy felony convictions and a scorecard for their career advancement in the prosecutor's office, as well as inflated conviction rates for the district attorney. It also distracts the public from more serious issues, particularly those concerning corruption.
If Mothers Against Drunk Driving are for it then the Politicians are for it. It doesn't matter if it works or not.
Freddy Master B

Elmhurst, NY

#4 Jul 13, 2008
In regard to Frederick R. Bedell Jr. letter concerning Rev. Jesse Jackson's attack upon Senator Obama was a most egregious, nefarious and iniquitious statement aganist a man who was suppose to support. Now for that shame on you Jesse.
Independent

Highland, NY

#5 Jul 13, 2008
Why not have a wall of shame for every WASTEFUL county and state worker such as the county worker using 17,000 gallons a year of gas?? He cannot say there is fraud quite yet? What would it take to definitively say that is fraud?

The employee should be suspended immediatey, NO pay, stripped of his car and gas card...once the investigation is over, which I cannot believe it takes more than a week...he is fired, stripped of ANY pension to date. He is charged with fraud and larceny, given Jail time which at that amount of gas is grand larceny. Made to pay back the gas money and the state/federal taxes on the gas.

Perhaps that will send a message to the rest of the bad apples in the county which I am sure there are more of perhaps just not this OBVIOUS.
Bronx Kid

United States

#6 Jul 13, 2008
Independent wrote:
Why not have a wall of shame for every WASTEFUL county and state worker such as the county worker using 17,000 gallons a year of gas?? He cannot say there is fraud quite yet? What would it take to definitively say that is fraud?
The employee should be suspended immediatey, NO pay, stripped of his car and gas card...once the investigation is over, which I cannot believe it takes more than a week...he is fired, stripped of ANY pension to date. He is charged with fraud and larceny, given Jail time which at that amount of gas is grand larceny. Made to pay back the gas money and the state/federal taxes on the gas.
Perhaps that will send a message to the rest of the bad apples in the county which I am sure there are more of perhaps just not this OBVIOUS.
Relax Independent. Don't you know elections are right around the corner?
Bronx Kid

United States

#7 Jul 13, 2008
This is what Gerald Albert wrote above. "Jackson didn't know he was on a hot microphone and was being taped when he said what he did about Obama."
Who says he didn't know Mr. Albert?
Robert

AOL

#8 Jul 13, 2008
Bronx Kid wrote:
This is what Gerald Albert wrote above. "Jackson didn't know he was on a hot microphone and was being taped when he said what he did about Obama."
Who says he didn't know Mr. Albert?
Ditto! Jackson probably did this purposely to get his ugly mug on the front page, since he is ignored, for good reason. And to compare Jackson and "Godly" is an oxyMORON...Jackson used religion to extort hard earned monies from organizations, nothing more. He is nothing but a thief.
John

United States

#9 Jul 13, 2008
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Ditto! Jackson probably did this purposely to get his ugly mug on the front page, since he is ignored, for good reason. And to compare Jackson and "Godly" is an oxyMORON...Jackson used religion to extort hard earned monies from organizations, nothing more. He is nothing but a thief.
Ditto and Ditto!
Maurice Hempstead

Smithtown, NY

#10 Jul 17, 2008
I was talking to co-worker the other day and he said "heroin's making a comeback". I thought to myself where did it go? People have been OD'ing in Harlem for decades.
Mo
Billy-Bob

Highland, NY

#11 Jan 5, 2011
Freddy Master B wrote:
In regard to Frederick R. Bedell Jr. letter concerning Rev. Jesse Jackson's attack upon Senator Obama was a most egregious, nefarious and iniquitious statement aganist a man who was suppose to support. Now for that shame on you Jesse.
OBAMA==One Big Ass Mistake America
phil

Bay Shore, NY

#12 Jan 5, 2011
their not ODing in harlem they just fall asleep alot. thank god for narcan.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellerose Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Tankleff half sister rips DA, says Marty's guilty (Jan '08) 10 hr Kennymac 105
News Nassau Cop Gets Community Service for Stealing ... (Jun '12) Sat Anonymous 4
News Police Raid Nyack Spa, 3 Woman Accused Of Prost... (Jun '11) Apr 20 Moses Kestenbaum ODA 12
News Queens jogger murder suspect allegedly told pol... Apr 19 china white 1
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Franklin Square (Jun '15) Apr 18 Christicandullo 52
News NYC Sikh taxi driver assaulted, turban ripped o... Apr 18 Ifuckitgoat 4
anyone interested in Trading Pictures of Wives ... (Nov '11) Apr 18 Chompski9202 17

Bellerose Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bellerose Mortgages