Episcopal Church in Bellefontaine

Episcopal Church in Bellefontaine

Posted in the Bellefontaine Forum

Pax Domini

Sevierville, TN

#1 Sep 7, 2009
Hello all,

I'm somewhat new here and am interested in impressions of the Episcopal church here in Bellefontaine. Intellectually, I identify with the Anglican church and am interested in finding my way back... Any thoughts about the local church, how those who have been away from organized religion for a long while are welcomed, would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Big Sid

Greenville, SC

#2 Sep 8, 2009
Not much there,
a dying congregation, a part time pastor;
really nice folks, a great bunch of people
I don't think they ever recovered from the church fire,
or the loss of a long time pastor

but, if you are into the Anglcan thing, givem a try, I think Tim is on site every other week
gertrude

Marengo, OH

#3 Sep 8, 2009
I have a friend who goes there, and she loves it. I do think you would be warmly welcomed. This church seems to have some shared activities with the Urbana Episcopal church. I would certainly give it a try. A schedule of church services appears in the Bellefontaine Examiner on Thursdays.
Bud

Ashburn, VA

#4 Dec 26, 2011
I lived in Bellefontaine years ago and attended the Episcopal Church on E. Sandusky. Hoever, I hear it closed a few months ago. Anyone know why? Where do the remaining members go now?
Old Time Religion

Lucas, OH

#5 Dec 27, 2011
Aren't Congregational churches similar to Anglican, or Episcopalian, churches? Funny how things that used to be so very important many years ago most people nowadays do not even remember. I guess everything kind of "weathers" away with time. Maybe it's for the best.
Sentimental

Mount Vernon, OH

#6 Dec 27, 2011
Bud wrote:
I lived in Bellefontaine years ago and attended the Episcopal Church on E. Sandusky. Hoever, I hear it closed a few months ago. Anyone know why? Where do the remaining members go now?
The church closed around Mother's Day this year. The congregation had gotten so small and it was getting to be impossible for them to continue on. They tried clustering with other area churches but to no avail. My Mother attended this church and loved it. She did miss Father Prater very much. Things really have not been the same there since he has been gone.
Jenny

Zanesville, OH

#7 Dec 27, 2011
It makes me sad to drive by there. It has been sold and I am wondering to whom and what they will do with it. There is a Nazarene church in St. Paris that has been converted into a private home and it is beautiful. They kept the stained glass windows.
Homer

Centerburg, OH

#8 Dec 27, 2011
Is religion dying out in America?
Jenny

Zanesville, OH

#9 Dec 27, 2011
Not in our household.
Sentimental

Mount Vernon, OH

#10 Jan 11, 2012
Jenny wrote:
It makes me sad to drive by there. It has been sold and I am wondering to whom and what they will do with it. There is a Nazarene church in St. Paris that has been converted into a private home and it is beautiful. They kept the stained glass windows.
From what I have heard, Dr Jason Robson purchased the building. Perhaps he will be expanding his practice if this is true.
Mr Phil

Chantilly, VA

#11 Mar 11, 2013
Does anyone know what happened to Rev. Prater? I attended that church from 1956-1970 until I moved out of town. The original building burned down in the late 60's (I think). It was not real large but had beautiful stained glass windows and wonderful arched wood beams. I was saddened to learn it was closed. The original church was built around 1905 or so.
Mr Phil

Chantilly, VA

#12 Mar 11, 2013
Sentimental wrote:
<quoted text>
The church closed around Mother's Day this year. The congregation had gotten so small and it was getting to be impossible for them to continue on. They tried clustering with other area churches but to no avail. My Mother attended this church and loved it. She did miss Father Prater very much. Things really have not been the same there since he has been gone.
Do you know what happened to Rev. Prater? Did he die? I think he took over there in the 60's, so he'd be pretty old by now.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellefontaine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Straight from Truman's mouth about PC 5 hr Mein Trumpf 7
Trump is yours.......Deal with it! (Jan '17) 9 hr caiaphas 2,028
News Two Logan County school superintendents charged... 9 hr Big Man on Campus 5
Who is a good custody lawyer in town that is re... Thu Johnny c 1
Does Homosexual Ideologies Strengthen American ... (Dec '11) Thu Touch of Disgrace... 740
Jets last night Thu LCR 1
Hypocrisy of our POTUS Oct 15 old timer 16

Bellefontaine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bellefontaine Mortgages