monroe muffler sucks
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Jane

Ashley, OH

#1 May 18, 2008
I'm I crazy or does monroe muffler rip people off.They put front brakes on my 2000 Grand Am they charged me 330.00. And on my way back home my front wheel fell off.Plus the tech. that worked on my car His name was Ron smelled like pot.They charged me 175.00 each for rotors & I watched Advanced Auto drop them off while I was there.So i called them later that day & asked them how much the rotors where & they said 9.99. I got so screwed. It messed my car all up when the wheel fell off 3 miles after I left & they say it's not there problem.Anyone else had any problems
hOTHEAD uGLY

Bellefontaine, OH

#2 May 18, 2008
Jane wrote:
I'm I crazy or does monroe muffler rip people off.They put front brakes on my 2000 Grand Am they charged me 330.00. And on my way back home my front wheel fell off.Plus the tech. that worked on my car His name was Ron smelled like pot.They charged me 175.00 each for rotors & I watched Advanced Auto drop them off while I was there.So i called them later that day & asked them how much the rotors where & they said 9.99. I got so screwed. It messed my car all up when the wheel fell off 3 miles after I left & they say it's not there problem.Anyone else had any problems
they have overcharged us on parts too we stopped going there
justdamomma

Morgan Hill, CA

#3 May 18, 2008
ummm yeah. we had to have brakes put on a minivan about 6 years ago, so i took it for an estimate. it was gonna cost me $3000. and they weren't gonna charge me for labor. I was like (excuse the french kiddies) do I look stupid just because I have b00bs? I had to wait for them to put the tires back on so I could take it to another mechanic shop. I dropped it off there for an estimate, and when I went back a few hours later, the guy running it, gave me a quote of about 300. it was for all around brakes, not to bad, but in the mean time I had contacted a guy my neice goes to and he was gonna do them for $100. I went back to check the estimate and let him know I was gonna go to the other guy. He was totally ok with it, but asked me to have my vehicle towed to the other mechanic instead of driving it because the brakes were that bad. He also took me into the bay where he had the van still up on the hoist because he wanted me to see what had been done at monroe muffler. They had disconnected my emergency brake because I wouldnt pay 3 grand for brakes. He made me promise to never go there again. A few days later I found out a neighbor lady had a similar problem. I think she paid like $750 just to do the rear brakes. It was about $400 over the estimate. As soon as she pulled up to the edge of their parking lot to leave, she hit the brakes, had none and her car rolled back and hit the building. They pretty much had to make that right with her, but ladies, don't take your car in for an estimate there with out being armed with a fellow or other estimates first.

“Changes in Latitude...”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#5 May 21, 2008
Wow - they must be under new management! I haven't been there in about 6 years, but they treated me fairly and the repairs were good. What a shame - I sincerely thought the owner seemed like a nice guy.

BTW...why didn't anyone post any of these juicy storied back when we had a "let's discuss auto machanics" thread? This was the stuff I was hoping for LOL
Wonderer Logan County

Lafayette, OH

#6 May 21, 2008
Jane wrote:
I'm I crazy or does monroe muffler rip people off.They put front brakes on my 2000 Grand Am they charged me 330.00. And on my way back home my front wheel fell off.Plus the tech. that worked on my car His name was Ron smelled like pot.They charged me 175.00 each for rotors & I watched Advanced Auto drop them off while I was there.So i called them later that day & asked them how much the rotors where & they said 9.99. I got so screwed. It messed my car all up when the wheel fell off 3 miles after I left & they say it's not there problem.Anyone else had any problems
Who Ron? He has been known to party alittle bit. Like everywekend,
justdamomma

Sevierville, TN

#7 May 21, 2008
My incident with Monroe Mufflers was roughly about 6-7 years ago. And I have heard other stories similar to mine.
just me

Marysville, OH

#8 May 21, 2008
Wow, I've never had anything but good service from them. One time when I needed repairs done, I didn't have the money and they fixed it for me and told me to pay them when I could. I always go to them, even for oil changes.
justdamomma

Sevierville, TN

#9 May 21, 2008
I think they try to take advantage of whomever they think they can get away with it. We had a bad incident at Goodyear too, a few years prior. Hubby took the vehicle in for a complete tuneup. All they did was an oil change. He called their main office and they had to ahead and do the plugs and wires. About a week or so later the vehicle wouldn't start when he went to come home from work. A neighbor and I drove down and the neighbor looked at the vehicle. Thought the button or rotar was bad in the dist. cap. So he pulled it and we headed to the auto store to test it and get a new one, he looked inside and there was a piece of a paper towel stuck inside. Seems its a shifty mechanics trick to take a wet piece of paper which will allow the fire for a week or so, then it dries out and no spark.
Rip offs

Galion, OH

#10 May 21, 2008
I went to Monroe about two years ago and obtained an estimate on my brakes (a 98 Honda Civic). They must have thought a young kid like me doesn't know anything about cars and told me it would be 750 dollars to do all the brakes. I told them to drop my vehicle and bought the parts at autozone for just over 100 dollars. It took me an entire day (because the drums were a huge hassle), but saved me 650 dollars. Sad thing is I have seen this happen not only there, but other mechanic places as well. They basically "size you up" when you get there and think how much they can make off you. Oil change places do this too. They make it sound imperative that you get things replaced. They particularly prey on women. Sad, but true. Find an honest mechanic is all I can say.

Birt's Auto Repair (in Bellefontaine) is a good one. He is an honest guy. And no I don't work for Birt, just had a few fixes on my Civic from him. Honest prices, but I haven't had work done from him in a while though. The only shortcoming of good mechanics though is that when word of mouth spreads, they may take a few a days to get to your vehicle. Which is why you should never wait to the last minute and have to deal with places like the aforementioned Monroe.

BTW, I currently live in Columbus. Went to Monroe here and dealt with the same crap. Had to have a CV joint replaced and they botched it. Had to call their main offices to take care of that one. It wasn't even put on correctly and they sent me on my way......
Auto

Marysville, OH

#12 May 21, 2008
I like Birt's Auto Repair, I've been going there for years, and he is honest.
justdamomma

Morgan Hill, CA

#13 May 22, 2008
Well here I go again, I went to Birt's once. Took a dodge caravan in for an oil change. Everything went great. Good service. very courteous. I'm trying to remember what the coupon was I had. I think it was like free oil filter with the oil change or something along that line. So they get done. I pay the bill. Drive home. Hubby had an absolute fit when I told him what I had paid. They charged me for 13 quarts of oil. Told me that is what it held when it was totally drained. I know we had always used like 5 quarts, but I figured he wouldn't lie to me, cause he is a relative of a member of my family. Live and learn.
trashguy

Van Wert, OH

#14 May 22, 2008
In defense of the automotive technicians out there. Not all shops are rip off places. The main thing to remember is that most chain stores like Monroe, Goodyear, Pep Boys and such hire uneducated people that have no certifications and work cheap. They don't pay well enough to get certified techs that know the ins and out of your car. Basically they will hire any kid or adult that has some sort of shade tree knowledge. Not every tech is out to hose you, most are just making you aware of problems that you may not be aware of. Although it may cost a little more you can guarantee that a new car dealership has trained techs that know what they are doing. Todays technicians have to know as much as a doctor to repair your car. A good tech is not afraid to explain your cars problems to you, so ask questions if you don't understand.
hOTHEAD uGLY

Mansfield, OH

#15 May 22, 2008
I have had luck at houchins auto repair. And trash guy, your point was well made.
justdamomma

Morgan Hill, CA

#16 May 22, 2008
I agree. I'm just a gal, and I used to do alot of the work myself but the way they build cars these days, you do have to find a reputable mechanic that knows what he is doing. or she.
Auto

United States

#17 May 22, 2008
justdamomma wrote:
Well here I go again, I went to Birt's once. Took a dodge caravan in for an oil change. Everything went great. Good service. very courteous. I'm trying to remember what the coupon was I had. I think it was like free oil filter with the oil change or something along that line. So they get done. I pay the bill. Drive home. Hubby had an absolute fit when I told him what I had paid. They charged me for 13 quarts of oil. Told me that is what it held when it was totally drained. I know we had always used like 5 quarts, but I figured he wouldn't lie to me, cause he is a relative of a member of my family. Live and learn.
This couldnt have been birts,he doesnt have coupons.he does no advertising because he dont have to...
monro1

Rochester, NY

#18 May 29, 2008
just so all of you people know, not all monros are like this. i own one here in ny, and i have been doing this for 15years. i dont rip people off, and there is no "sizing up". I have experienced mechanics that have worked with me for the majority of my 15 years in the industry at other shops and now monro. we never have warranty issues, and discount for customers all the time. we also do not offer repairs for things that are not broken. Thanks!
Russ

Ashley, OH

#19 May 29, 2008
I used to work at the monroe in bellefontaine 2.5 years ago and Dave my boss todd me to do all kinds of crazy stuff.They have to make so much every day the amount changes from day to day but some days it's around 4000.00 dollors. So we would do what ever it takes to make money even if we had to make up stuff.A break job you could do in your drive way for less them 100.00 we would charge 400.00 to 500.00. People would pay extra for the best oil we had but Dave would tell me to just put the bulk oil in,the cheap stuff.I know Ron one of the techs that works there right now I worked with him and when he goes out and test drives the cars he runs the piss out of them.Sometimes he will smoke pot in peoples cars while he test drives them.But he don't have to hide it from Dave.Ron and Dave do cocaine in the bath room all the time.I've seen the do it more then once.There was so much crazy stuff going on there I had to quit.They do stuff under the table all the time for all there friends.Plus if they need a part for there own car they will get the part from the part store then charge it to some customer and tell them it was for there car when really it was for there own car.I dont know if all monroe's all like this but the one in bellefontaine is this way and worst.If you don't want to get screwed then say away from there.
justdamomma

Morgan Hill, CA

#20 May 30, 2008
Auto wrote:
<quoted text> This couldnt have been birts,he doesnt have coupons.he does no advertising because he dont have to...
Well yeah it was Birt's. This would have been about 10 - 12 years ago I'd say. And it was a coupon deal or an advertised special. Like x$'s for complete oil change, filter and up to 7 quarts of oil. And I swear he friggin charged me for 13 quarts of oil. And yeah because my mother couldn't believe that he would do that because his father was her first cousin. So yeah, I do mean it was Birt's. And relative or not, I have never been back, because he burned me on offering an oil change at a low rate and tried to comp on the fact that I trusted a relative would be honest.
NON INDIGENT

Morgan Hill, CA

#22 May 30, 2008
shapoopy wrote:
what about the dealerships in town?
I work for one of the local dealerships in town - I won't say which one, and I'm not a mechanic.

Let me start by saying that in these days, cars are not cars anymore - they are computers on wheels. In the past, if your car didn't start, you would check to see if it had gas, oil, or if the battery was dead, but nowadays these cars can be a nightmare to diagnose when there is a problem. They have computers that tell when a "code" is set, sometimes not, but that may only be the symptom and not the cause.

While working at this dealership, I have seen these technicians taking classes and gaining new certifications as GM (oops, I said GM - now you know which dealership I am refering to) steps up their technology on a continuous basis. These guys have to not only repair customer's vehicles in a timely manner, but have to continue their education as they do so. I have to give credit to these technicians. They are nothing less than brilliant. I don't envy their job.

I know mistakes happen at dealerships (all dealerships) from time to time, but that is part of the fact that our vehicles are no longer vehicles, but computers on wheels.

I know that people want to save money. That's what we all want to do, but some things require the proper channels. If you want to have vehicle repaired, take it to the people that have the continued skills required. If you have a Honda, Dodge, Ford, etc.- take it to the people who know your vehicle (and its excentricities) best.

Sometimes people think they are being ripped off at a major dealership (be it Dodge, Ford, Honda, etc.), but be aware that a dealership labor price is a price not set by the dealership itself, but by an outside entity.

I'm not picking on small garages, but you have to face the fact that they can not possibly stay up with the technology as they need to. For simple things they may be fine, but when your problem is major, take it to the source.

I can still remember the days (in the 60s) when my mother had a GM vehicle that had a transmission problem. She didn't take it to a GM shop, but took it to a side company that "specialized" in transmissions. This was in Columbus, not here. I can also remember the months and months it took to get it fixed correctly. Was it worth the hassle of going back time and time again? I don't think so. Had she taken it through the proper channel, she would have been cruising the first time.
shittalker

Gatlinburg, TN

#23 May 30, 2008
shapoopy wrote:
what about the dealerships in town?
im a big fan of steve austins auto group exelant people.and top of the line tecs

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellefontaine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do You Support Gay Marriage? (Apr '09) 29 min SATAN 1,261
Trump UN Speech 2 hr caiaphas 30
Horrorpunk band Grave Robber to perform @ Viney... (Aug '11) 19 hr Wretched Graverobber 25
Buddy Millee Sat Jason 5
OSU gitz whipped Baby! (Sep '11) Fri animal control 883
What the hell are these little black bugs that ... (Oct '07) Thu bummed out 463
West Liberty Football Sep 21 Wite_Out 12

Bellefontaine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bellefontaine Mortgages