Concerned

Bensalem, PA

#81 May 26, 2009
This is all true. The second woman is in a coma in Columbus and fighting for her life. She is still at the 50/50 stage. Please pray for her and her family, and my heart goes out to the other woman's family and those children who have to grow up without their mother.
sad mom

Mansfield, OH

#82 May 26, 2009
First off my heart goes out to the families involved. I cant begin to imagine what they are going through right now. May God be with you in your time of tragedy. Now lets all wait to speculate until we are given the facts by those involved. We are all so quick to point fingers and blame even though most of you commenting dont have any real facts. Yes there was a completely bad tragedy which occured at MRH. You only hear of the bad things that happen at times like this. How many people write in about all the good things that happen also. How many lives are also saved by the nurses and drs at this small town hospital. I bet if it were one of your family members you would be forever greatful. But we dont often here these stories. I am not trying to justify anything and if I were these families I would be very upset and definately want answers. Just think if there were not a hospital here and you had to travel 30-40min to an area hospital what might happen in that amount of time. I know our hospital isnt perfect and has pobably upset many people but it has also helped and saved many lives. So lets continue to support our local hospital and workers and wait for the real facts. Once again please put these families in your prayers. May God bless!
Cut and Paste

Galena, OH

#83 May 26, 2009
By JOEL E. MAST
Examiner Staff Writer
jmast@examiner.org
Aphysical therapist at Heartland
of Bellefontaine, who was one of
two local maternity patients possibly
infected with bacterial meningitis,
died Saturday in a Columbus
hospital two days after giving birth
to her second child.
Susan Ryan Finch Simpson, 30,
of Huntsville, developed symptoms
associated with bacterial meningitis
on Friday in Mary Rutan
Hospital’s maternity ward.
She and the other maternity
patient were transferred to the
hospital’s intensive care unit and
then were transferred to
Riverside Methodist Hospital in
Columbus.
The children were transferred to
Children’s Hospital in Columbus
for observation, according to Mary
Rutan.
Franklin County Coroner Dr.
Jan Gorniak D.O. said today her
office was contacted by the hospital
about Mrs. Simpson’s death, but
did not take jurisdiction in the case.
“Our hearts go out to the
patients’ families and loved ones,”
said MRH President Mandy
Goble.“The health and welfare of
our patients, their families and the
entire staff will be our top priority
as we investigate the cause of this
incident.”
According to the Cleveland
Clinic’s Web site — www.clevelandclinic.
org — acute bacterial
meningitis is the most common
form of meningitis, accounting for
80 percent of all cases.
It is life threatening and can
cause the tissues around the brain
to swell. This in turn interferes with
blood flow and can result in paralysis
or even stroke.
The bacteria most often
responsible for bacterial
meningitis are common in the
environment, according to the
clinic, and can also be found in
noses and respiratory systems
without causing any harm.
Infections or weakened
immune systems can set it off.
The bacteria are spread by
direct close contact with the
discharges from the nose or
throat of an infected person,
according to Directors of
Health Promotion and
Education at www.dhpe.org .
Fortunately, none of the
bacteria that cause meningitis
are as contagious as things like
the common cold or the flu,
according to the Center for
Disease Control and
Prevention. The bacteria do
not spread by casual contact or
by simply breathing the air
where a person with meningitis
has been.
Mary Rutan initiated an
internal investigation after the
two maternity patients developed
symptoms that were suspected
to be associated with
bacterial meningitis.
The other patient is in critical
condition, Riverside
reported this morning.
The Ohio Department of
Health and the Centers for
Disease Control and
Prevention have been contacted
and MRH continues to
maintain contact with
Riverside.
MRH’s Director of
Medicine Dr. Grant Varian,
M.D., said Sunday the infection
issue did not present a
threat to public health.
Mrs. Simpson was a graduate
of Ohio University and
earned a doctor of physical
therapy from the institution in
2004, graduating tops in her
class.
She is survived by her husband
James N. Simpson and
daughters Lilian Ryan
Simpson, 14-months-old, and
Olivia Sue Simpson, born
Thursday.
Underwood Funeral Home,
703 East Fifth Street,
Marysville, is handling
arrangements
Cut and Paste

Galena, OH

#84 May 26, 2009
What is bacterial
meningitis?
Acute bacterial meningitis
is the most common form
of meningitis. Approximately
80 percent of all cases are
acute bacterial meningitis.
Bacterial meningitis can be
life threatening. The infection
can cause the tissues
around the brain to swell.
This in turn interferes with
blood flow and can result in
paralysis or even stroke.

What causes
bacterial meningitis?
The bacteria most often
responsible for bacterial
meningitis are common in
the environment and can
also be found in your nose
and respiratory system
without causing any harm.
Sometimes meningitis
occurs for no known reason.
Other times it occurs
after a head injury or after
you have had an infection
and your immune system is
weakened.

Who gets bacterial
meningitis?
Children between the
ages of one month and two
years are the most susceptible
to bacterial meningitis.
Adults with certain risk
factors are also susceptible.
You are at higher risk if you
abuse alcohol, have chronic
nose and ear infections,
sustain a head injury or get
pneumococcal pneumonia.
You are also at higher risk
if you have a weakened
immune system, have had
your spleen removed, are on
corticosteroids because of
kidney failure or have a sickle
cell disease.
Additionally, if you have
had brain or spinal surgery
or have had a widespread
blood infection you are also
a higher risk for bacterial
meningitis.
Outbreaks of bacterial
meningitis also occur in living
situations where you are
in close contact with others,
such as college dormitories
or military barracks.
Source: clevelandclinic.org
Karen

Columbus, OH

#85 May 26, 2009
Hello all,
We have a reporter working on this story and efforting all of the information we can gather. To Brian and Chrissy, if you're reading, please email us at... http://10tv.com/live/content/station/forms/br...
We will keep all information confidential. Thank you all. We'll have the latest on what we learn tonight on WBNS 10TV.
Brian and Chrissy

Lima, OH

#86 May 26, 2009
To Minnie Pearl:
No one is BASHING YOUR town! People are just simply concerned about what is going on at this hospital. Is anyone saying well that town sucks never go there? No, we are all worried about the safety of others, and honestly you should be too, stop trying to put the focus on your town that is not the topic here. You sound like an immature child when I read your posts. Have you actually read what you have wrote, yourself??? Not only have two women became severeraly ill and one has died but now there are two tiny little babies involoved also. I just don't see how ppl can just totally turn a sad story and a concern to others into something that it just simply is not. If you don't want to discuss the topic which is MRH, then dont write at all. This is just childish. My friend could have died and all you are worried about is ppl bashing your town? what if it were you there? or someone you cared about? would it be about bashing your town then? Come on ppl we are all adults and should be concerned with the real issue here.
call em both ways

Lafayette, OH

#87 May 26, 2009
shh-itHappens wrote:
Where is a good hospital to have a baby? I was thinking about going out to the new dublin methodist hospital. I really like my OB Dr. Johnson though. Only problem is that he delivers out of MRH.
I would highly recommend memorial hospital in marysville to have a baby. The doctors are really great to work with and the facilities over there are incredible. We had our kids over there and it was a really good experience. You just hear so many problems with the OB in MRH, the difference is night and day.

“None genuine without this seal”

Since: May 09

Logan County, Ohio

#88 May 26, 2009
Something went dreadfully wrong in the MRH OB ward in Bellefontaine Friday evening. A couple of hours apart two healthy young women who had been given intrathecals developed terrible headache, fever, swelling, vomiting and uncontrollable thrashing. After that one became unresponsive. MRIs, EKGs and other tests were performed. As soon as medevac helicopters could arrive, the two were transported to Columbus, where one died Saturday. The needles used and the intrathecal medicine vials were collected and sent for study. The staff involved were put on the antibiotic Cipro as a precaution. Based on the symptoms presented, a tentative hypothesis of bacterial meningitis was formulated. However, the last I heard that assumption has not been confirmed by testing. This case is almost unbelievable in modern obstetric care. I was disappointed to see the Franklin County Corner decline to investigate. The Mary Rutan authorities need all the help they can get on this one. Good luck to Karen and 10TV on their story. The people have a need to know what went wrong.
Mommy

Mansfield, OH

#89 May 26, 2009
Ugh this whole situation is just so sad.
It could of been me and I count myself lucky.
lost

United States

#90 May 26, 2009
the channel 7 truck is in town also.
Nealio

Lexington Park, MD

#91 May 26, 2009
Brian and Chrissy wrote:
OK it is such shit how fast word travels, and 90% of it isnt even true. Yes, there was an incident at this hospital. My friend is the one who is in critical condition. She went in to have a baby, and is hanging on for her life now. I am not blaming anyone, but I am saying that she went in healthy, and was next to the lady who passed. They both went there and recieved a intrathecal shot which is like an epideral but instead of it staying in your back, it is just a shot. And yes, it was from the same dr. She was complaining of a severe headache, and the hospital did a scan on her head, and did find swelling. They DID NOT inform the family of this. The family was not informed until she was transferred to columbus. She now has a clot on her brain, and yes she has a form of meningitis. And for everyone who can sit there and say dont say anything about this hospital, you all can just not write on this at all, you have no idea what it feels like to see your friend lying there like that. You dont go into a hospital healthy and leave almost dead, after giving birth. It just dont happen to two women. They would not have had the same problems or same disease. And they DID. She is only 26, this is her third baby. She is a wonderful mother, wife daughter, and friend. She sisnt deserve this, and I am so pissed off by people saying on here that ok stop disscussing this, people die. Well F U for saying that. Bet you wouldnt say that if it were you or someone you love. Yes people die, but not like this and not in these circumstances. Her baby thank god is doing ok she is in the hospital for now, getting meds to make sure she did not contract the illness. Please let me know if you have any concerns, or would like for me to give your prayers to the family, however if you are going to write me something saying stop talking about this or so what, something along that lines, Then don't BOTHER. God has a number for us all, and when its your turn he will see how you treated others and you will get what you deserve.
Out of respect, I am not going to post her name on this forum, but the woman in critical condition is my cousin. Her maiden name is Neal, if that is any confirmation. It is indeed extremely tragic as to what happened, and I am praying so hard that she makes it through this. It is sad that there are people out there that are just blowing this off. This was something that could've been avoided. From what I have been told by family that was close-by, things started going wrong after the anesthesiologist got involved. However it happened, it is a very sad occurance, that no person should ever have to deal with, especially when you should be celebrating the birth of a beautiful new baby. If anyone knows her, please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. And if you don't have anything nice to say, please keep it to yourself.
very concerned

Lakeview, OH

#92 May 26, 2009
It's strange that alot of this is garbage. I heard that the one still living is now talking and doing much better. Maybe we all need to cool off and wait for the facts. It has been released that MRH has contacted both the CDC and ODH for recommendations. I have been at MRH many times as a patient as well as other members of my family, I would go there for treatment any time. As for those recommending Union Memorial in Marysville...your are NUTS!! My experiences ther have been from bad to terrible. To each their own, I'll stay with my home town hospital...MRH and Dr. Colombo can give me an anesthetic anytime I need one!
loganmom

Cincinnati, OH

#93 May 26, 2009
Some on this board are probably not directly involved and therefore are not "attached" and probably not as sympathetic as they should be to the situation.

On the otherhand, many friends and family of the patients and are too emotionally involved (which of course is understood) to have objective opinions... and they are jumping to conclusions and need to find someone/something to blame a horrible situation on.

Everyone needs to wait until all of the FACTS are out, then make your own decision. But for people to start bashing doctors, nurses, or staff by name (whenever they have no facts yet) is ludicrous and simply wrong.
STINE

Mansfield, OH

#94 May 26, 2009
loganmom wrote:
Some on this board are probably not directly involved and therefore are not "attached" and probably not as sympathetic as they should be to the situation.
On the otherhand, many friends and family of the patients and are too emotionally involved (which of course is understood) to have objective opinions... and they are jumping to conclusions and need to find someone/something to blame a horrible situation on.
Everyone needs to wait until all of the FACTS are out, then make your own decision. But for people to start bashing doctors, nurses, or staff by name (whenever they have no facts yet) is ludicrous and simply wrong.
anyone who BELIEVES ANYTHING on these boards is crazy...duh
GroundZero

Mount Vernon, OH

#95 May 26, 2009
Most of the people on this board are not directly involved, but that doesn't mean they cannot offer valuable insights. Furthermore, of the few friends and relatives of the victims who've posted, most all have been calm, collected and objective. The ones who are most objectionable are the ones who are continually trying to hush everybody else up. Those same ones usually end up wringing their hands about what a terrible tragedy this is and beseeching us to remember the victims and their families in our prayers. That's OK to a limited extent, but a little goes a long way. If you have nothing to ad, feel free to sit this one out. But don't feel free to go about shutting other people up. This is a public forum with no moderators except one's own courtesy and common sense. Don't forget to look for a possible newscast tonight on Channel 10.
news

Pigeon Forge, TN

#96 May 26, 2009
GroundZero wrote:
Most of the people on this board are not directly involved, but that doesn't mean they cannot offer valuable insights. Furthermore, of the few friends and relatives of the victims who've posted, most all have been calm, collected and objective. The ones who are most objectionable are the ones who are continually trying to hush everybody else up. Those same ones usually end up wringing their hands about what a terrible tragedy this is and beseeching us to remember the victims and their families in our prayers. That's OK to a limited extent, but a little goes a long way. If you have nothing to ad, feel free to sit this one out. But don't feel free to go about shutting other people up. This is a public forum with no moderators except one's own courtesy and common sense. Don't forget to look for a possible newscast tonight on Channel 10.
Very well said. It is frustrating to give info on here only to be made to feel like a liar. I would never make up a story like this. I know the woman who passed away and her family. I also have a police scanner that gives me alot of info that sometimes never gets put in the paper on anywhere else. I can hear careflight, MRH er and others.
Gods blessings to all involved.
Georgia Peach

Wooster, OH

#97 May 26, 2009
Nealio wrote:
<quoted text>
Out of respect, I am not going to post her name on this forum, but the woman in critical condition is my cousin. Her maiden name is Neal, if that is any confirmation. It is indeed extremely tragic as to what happened, and I am praying so hard that she makes it through this. It is sad that there are people out there that are just blowing this off. This was something that could've been avoided. From what I have been told by family that was close-by, things started going wrong after the anesthesiologist got involved. However it happened, it is a very sad occurance, that no person should ever have to deal with, especially when you should be celebrating the birth of a beautiful new baby. If anyone knows her, please keep her in your thoughts and prayers. And if you don't have anything nice to say, please keep it to yourself.
I was just wondering if this woman grew up in West Mansfield? I new a family their with that last name, Just wondering if it was her.
just someone from LC

Wapakoneta, OH

#98 May 26, 2009
I cannot express the sadness I feel for the family that lost their,wife,mama,daughter,siste r,niece and friend.My thoughts and prayers are with the family that is grieving as well as with the family that is still hoping and praying for the recovery of their wife,mama,daughter,sister. May God bless everyone involved.

Since: Jan 09

Bellefontaine, Ohio

#99 May 26, 2009
sad mom wrote:
....lets all wait to speculate until we are given the facts by those involved. We are all so quick to point fingers and blame even though most of you commenting dont have any real facts... How many people write in about all the good things that happen also. How many lives are also saved by the nurses and drs at this small town hospital.
I really don't understand this position at all. How can someone, upon hearing what happened, FIRST leap to the hospital's defense? I mean, unless you work there... or you're just a truly cold individual...

As for how many lives have they saved?

I have ONE MRH story involving the ER. I won't bore you with the details but suffice it to say, it did not have a happy ending. When I share my ONE MRH story with people what I find is they also have ONE (or more) MRH story, also not a good one. I honestly have no reason to hold a favorable viewpoint of this hopsital. In fact, based on my own experiences, I have a good reason to NOT give them the benefit of the doubt.
Mommy

Mansfield, OH

#100 May 26, 2009
You can express your condolences to the family at this email address.

email@underwoodfuneralhome.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellefontaine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Looking for decent rental 46 min looking for a home 1
6 hysterical right-wing freakouts after last w... 46 min thud333 2
scotus hands obama & environmental wacko groups... 1 hr thud333 6
Should Righteous Voice be reported to Homeland ... 1 hr JEH 2
Are You An Illiberal? 1 hr Big Bertha 74
LIBS on the MARCH--MEMPHIS MAYOR WANTS 2 MOVE S... 2 hr Big Bertha 13
Supreme Court Rejects Kansas And Arizona Voter ... 2 hr this is real life 2
More from around the web

Bellefontaine People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE