First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Since: Feb 10

BelleCenter

#1 Mar 1, 2010
Who has a garden and what do you grow? does anyone's wife do canning? Thanks.
going to try

Cincinnati, OH

#2 Mar 1, 2010
I am going to try my hand at gardening this year. Does anyone have any tips for growing seeds in those little peat growing trays with the lids? I know there will be plants available to buy around May, but I thought I would grow some of my own to see how I do.

Looking forward to some nice weather.
pick me

Hamilton, OH

#3 Mar 1, 2010
we have a garden, we have tomatoes,beans,cabbage,corn,pe ppers

we make salsa, tomatoes juice. we freeze the beans and corn and make freezer slaw with the cabbage.
Hazel

Urbana, OH

#4 Mar 1, 2010
going to try wrote:
I am going to try my hand at gardening this year. Does anyone have any tips for growing seeds in those little peat growing trays with the lids? I know there will be plants available to buy around May, but I thought I would grow some of my own to see how I do.
Looking forward to some nice weather.
Try to get them as much sun as possible and water often.

Since: Feb 09

AOL

#5 Mar 1, 2010
We have a HUGE garden every year..We normally grow tomatoes, peppers (bell and jalapeno), corn, cabbage, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cucumbers, zuchinni, onions, water melon, carrots, beans, sunflowers, yellow squash...I know I am forgetting something..We can and freeze everything we can..

As for starting your own seeds, we do that with most of our plants. I strt the seeds indoors last of Feb that way they are nice and healthy when we put them in the garden. Lots and lots of light and don't let them dry out..I transplant the seedlings to a larger container right around the first of April..
going to try

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Mar 1, 2010
Thanks thrifty and Hazel. I think I should be able to grow some plants that will make it to the garden when it warms up.

What kind of larger container do you use? Do you put several in one pot? Or do you use the containers like you see where they sell the plants?

AOL

#7 Mar 1, 2010
I go to a garden center and get the small plastic saucers (the ones that look like sundae cups)that you put under pots to keep them from leaking onto the floor..I put one plant in each pot...Remember to drill a hole int he bottom to let water escape..They are cheap enough, about 19 cents each..and can be used over and over again..

“Free your mind”

Since: Jan 10

Columbus OH

#8 Mar 2, 2010
I recently read somewhere that there are some veggie seeds that might not be available at some point this year. Due to the terrible growing season last year with the cool wet summer.

Carrots were on the list but I don't remember the others. I can't seem to find the article I read it in either. I will do some searching and get back to you all.
BEOWULF

AOL

#9 Mar 2, 2010
Frankdaplumber wrote:
Who has a garden and what do you grow? does anyone's wife do canning? Thanks.
I had a garden for decades. The best canning/freezing book is the Ball Blue Book. Complete instructions for canning and freezing of vegetables & fruits. Plus recipes for everything from catsup to jam. But dude, got to tell you, if you think you won't be dragged out to the kitchen for the canning/freezing, my guess is that you will be sorely disappointed. I worked in the garden and the hubby certainly had to help in the kitchen. Husking, shelling, snapping, washing, slicing, etc. etc. etc. Certainly tasted good all year long though. It was worth it.
jenny craig

Cleveland, TN

#10 Mar 2, 2010
I bought seeds just today. I am going to try egg cartons for starters (to put the seeds in) My basement is warm, but dark. I am going to look for a grow light, probably cost more than if I went to the grocery for my vegetables. I picked berries last summer, fed the mosquitoes, was assaulted by the brambles, but oh, the jelly and pies were ever so good. I share my vegetables with anyone that appreciates all my hard work. If the snow was gone I would probably be out there today. Got spring fever baaaad.

AOL

#11 Mar 2, 2010
jenny craig wrote:
I bought seeds just today. I am going to try egg cartons for starters (to put the seeds in) My basement is warm, but dark. I am going to look for a grow light, probably cost more than if I went to the grocery for my vegetables. I picked berries last summer, fed the mosquitoes, was assaulted by the brambles, but oh, the jelly and pies were ever so good. I share my vegetables with anyone that appreciates all my hard work. If the snow was gone I would probably be out there today. Got spring fever baaaad.
Please let me know how the egg cartons work for you..I too wish I could be outside digging in the dirt, but we still have quite a bit of snow covering the ground out our way..We purchased just a regular shop work light and hung it in the basement a couple of years ago and that seems to do well with helping the seedlings grow..I also use those warming trays but I am sure a heating pad would work just as good..I am so ready for Spring!
BEOWULF

AOL

#12 Mar 2, 2010
jenny craig wrote:
After all that work, don't you just hate it when you have to nag and nag and nag to get your containers back? The canning jars and freezer boxes are not cheap. I watch who I give things to anymore. The neighbor and I exchange, but we know home canners will stalk you forever for their container.

“"For where your treasure is,"”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#13 Mar 2, 2010
I have always had a garden. Veggies of course but my favorite is the Perennials, "Food for the Soul."
My Mother was the orginal "Earth Mother" as my daughter calls her. We always had a huge garden that we all worked in from turning it over, planting, weeding, and harvesting,freezing & canning.
I bring some of my favorite Patio plants into the garage for the Winter. My favorite from last year "Caracalla Bean" has sprung to life and has a vine about 3 feet long! I moved it into the front picture window.
One day closer to spring. I wonder if I will be able to plant my sweet peas on St Patrick's Day?
BEOWULF

AOL

#14 Mar 2, 2010
I just had a funny thought. I read Image's post and it hit me. All this talk about work. We know how much work it is, but the benefits are great. I happened to notice the original poster has not been back. Did we scare him off? Come back original poster...it's fun gardening!!!!!!!!!!
Unnamed Dragon

Sevierville, TN

#15 Mar 2, 2010
BEOWULF wrote:
I just had a funny thought. I read Image's post and it hit me. All this talk about work. We know how much work it is, but the benefits are great. I happened to notice the original poster has not been back. Did we scare him off? Come back original poster...it's fun gardening!!!!!!!!!!
You should be enough to scare anyone off of the forum. Did the rest of your buddies put you up to the attacks on MH? Not such a clever disguise if you can't hide your true (known) personality.

BelleCenter

#16 Mar 2, 2010
Nope, no one scared me off. I have been pretty busy. Anyway, I'm going to start with seeds this year as opposed to buying plants. I'll put out about 2 dozen tomatoes and beans, green and hot peppers, and many sunflowers. I love sunflowers. I had some reach about 22 feet in height last year. They didn't last very long as a storm snapped most of them.
Does anyone grow plants upside down in hanging buckets? I going to give that a try this year also.

BelleCenter

#17 Mar 2, 2010
I'm going - not "I going".
Sorry for the text impediment.
jenny craig

Cleveland, TN

#18 Mar 2, 2010
Where would I get a 'gro-light'? Maybe someone at the jail would have one used for marijuana, they could loan it to me until they get out. I could give them some veggies. Just a thought. I don't want a huge electric bill, Christmas lights were quite a lot. Of course it looked like "Christmas Vacation" here.

BelleCenter

#19 Mar 2, 2010
You can get the bulbs at Lowes.
animal control

Centerburg, OH

#20 Mar 2, 2010
Last year the outside help rolled my Ranchez lawn ,March 9th. The upside down mater planter was fun, and I did get some awesome maters from her but she was to high maintenance for a do-over,
Maybe next year?

Piece be inside you
~ac

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellefontaine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sarah Jared whacked out on drugs! 5 hr Anastasia 1
Nuns in Mississippi 6 hr Tiny Hand Dictator 14
Did Jesus Judge People and Their Behavior? 16 hr CALM STILL VOICE 190
Don't agree with TVOSW , Let the Greek Language... (Feb '13) Sat USN Atheist 328
Obamas Daughter Gets High and Twerks Sat CALM STILL VOICE 18
Hillary Fingers Cher Sat spanky rodriguez 14
Atheist, Homosexuals, Obama-Hillary supporters ... Fri USN Atheist 27
What the hell are these little black bugs that ... (Oct '07) Aug 18 c-red 411

Bellefontaine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bellefontaine Mortgages