Joey Zaza

Cardington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2012

FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. Interim Fayetteville Police Chief Katherine Bryant returned to work Friday after she accidentally shot herself in the hand during the Christmas holiday, authorities said.

A spokesman for the city said Bryant was injured when her personal firearm accidentally discharged at home. No one else was hurt.

Officials did not provide more details on the incident.

Bryant, who has risen through the ranks over the past 25 years, took the helm of the police department last summer from Tom Bergamine after he retired.

Bryant will remain on the job until a replacement is named, officials said. Earlier this month, the city announced the top two finalists for the job are Charlotte Deputy Police Chief Harold Medlock and Dallas Deputy Police Chief Malik Aziz.
anon

Ada, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Yep. It happens. And your point is?

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Judged:

anon wrote:
Yep. It happens. And your point is?
Good thing she wasn't in charge of a missle silo.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 30, 2012

Los Angeles has freaking police precincts in schools. That was not doubt a liberal idea. Why when a conservative suggests the same thing is it somehow crazy?
One Day I Will Register

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

It only makes sense if the teacher/administrator is already gun-oriented and does so voluntarily. Forcing or coercing an accomplished pro-gun person wouldn't foster the proper mindset, allowing a newb wouldn't (likely) put the proper skill set where it's needed.

Encouraging already-accomplished persons who already possess and demonstrate competency would work - only allow those with the skill set and mentality in place to provide the first - and by no means only - line of defense.

I'm against having uniformed or single-purpose personnel in place, they'd just provide a "shoot me first" target for the scumbag - rather, I'd have existing personnel discreetly be vetted, screened, trained, tested, armed, and commissioned. Let them go about their regular duties, but should the unthinkable occur, they do their thing.

Finally, their participation must be kept confidential; today's public schools are rife with mamby-pamby left-wing liberal anti 2A types that WOULD ostracize and undermine the sheepdog(s) among them, and perhaps place them in the "shoot me first" category.

There's more that could and should be done relative to interdiction, safe (or "panic") rooms and overall awareness training, but those topics are subjects for another thread.

And yes, I DO have elementary-school age kids that I'd be subjecting to this program, I'm NOT suggesting any parent accept that which I, myself, would not.
The Oracle

Lima, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

The solution to gun violence is more guns.

That makes sense.

Bang.
anon

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

The Oracle wrote:
That makes sense.
Bang.
What is your solution to the problem? To just submit to whatever a criminal wants to do to you? If you think violence will never touch your life you are e fool.
The Oracle

Lima, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

anon wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your solution to the problem? To just submit to whatever a criminal wants to do to you? If you think violence will never touch your life you are e fool.
Yep. I'm a fool for believing the teachings of Christ.
anon

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

The Oracle wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. I'm a fool for believing the teachings of Christ.
You and everyone else has free will. Isn't that one of the reasons Christ died on the cross for? You also have the free will to accept whatever a criminal wants to do to you. You have the free will to stick your head in the sand. You have the free will to be a sheep. I have the free will to stand up for myself.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You and everyone else has free will. Isn't that one of the reasons Christ died on the cross for? You also have the free will to accept whatever a criminal wants to do to you. You have the free will to stick your head in the sand. You have the free will to be a sheep. I have the free will to stand up for myself.

Christ did not die on the cross so we have free will. Mankind already had that.
I have no problem standing up for myself. I do have a problem when 6 year olds are slaughted like sheep.
So if the solution is to put an armed officer in every school building, then who pays the cost of doing this? School districts already have a difficult time passing school levies. I do not see where this added cost will be voted for by the taxpayers, do you?
anon

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Ironbutterfly wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ did not die on the cross so we have free will. Mankind already had that.
I have no problem standing up for myself. I do have a problem when 6 year olds are slaughted like sheep.
So if the solution is to put an armed officer in every school building, then who pays the cost of doing this? School districts already have a difficult time passing school levies. I do not see where this added cost will be voted for by the taxpayers, do you?
Yea, unfortunately. But looking at it that way is, for me, putting a price on the life of every school kid. I've always been the kind of person that confronts a threat head on and I see this thing with the psychos shooting up the schools as a threat.
One Day I Will Register

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

The Oracle wrote:
That makes sense.
Bang.
In the right hands, of course.
anon

Ada, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

OK. You guys are right. Lets round up all the guns. Disband all the police forces and do away with all the laws. Things will be better that way, right?
One Day I Will Register

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle

Luke 11:21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe

Proverbs 25:26 Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked.

Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.

Ezekiel 33 'But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and a sword comes and takes a person from them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require from the watchman's hand.'

I hold that it's the moral responsibility to protect the weak from the wicked. The wicked will always have tools of the trade, the only option is to meet force with force, fire with fire. If YOU choose to be a sheep among wolves, that's on your soul.
The real dogman

Ada, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

Judged:

One Day I Will Register wrote:
Psalm 144:1 Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle
Luke 11:21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe
Proverbs 25:26 Like a muddied spring or a polluted fountain is a righteous man who gives way before the wicked.
Psalm 82:4 Rescue the weak and needy; Deliver them out of the hand of the wicked.
Ezekiel 33 'But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, and the people are not warned, and a sword comes and takes a person from them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood I will require from the watchman's hand.'
I hold that it's the moral responsibility to protect the weak from the wicked. The wicked will always have tools of the trade, the only option is to meet force with force, fire with fire. If YOU choose to be a sheep among wolves, that's on your soul.
Finally, someone that agrees with me. Thank you.
One Day I Will Register

Mansfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 2, 2013

"but that's what we have the police for"... WRONG!!

WASHINGTON, June 27 - The Supreme Court ruled on Monday that the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28...

See, it's up to us to protect ourselves and the ones we love - as for me, I'm not excluding strangers from the "ones we love" category. Your mileage may vary, but please don't tie my hands behind my back.

“Just thinking”

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

How about people being nice again? I know that's too much to ask. Guns in schools are a terrible commentary on the current state of people's mindsets in this country, not to mention they are dangerous, as even qualified people have accidents. I learned to to handle a firearm as a child, but I would NEVER EVER have expected to see my teachers toting them. When I was teaching in the South during de-segregation and we had daily riots, even driving through sniper fire, the thought crossed my mind it would be nice to have one, but then I realized that misplaced anger in a flash can supercede good sense on both sides.
One Day I Will Register

Lima, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

A sad commentary, indeed, but that's where we appear to be.

A single layer of protection is needed - awareness as the first level, passive (restricting access, "hardening" the schools, etc.) is secondary. The final, third level is an active, forceful level SHOULD THE FIRST TWO FAIL. Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is, it's the only answer.

Yes, I have elementary school-aged kids, I do have a dog in this fight.

And for the record, an inanimate object is not inherently dangerous, what a human being does with it can be dangerous. In a school building, with hard walls and floors, firearms must be a absolute last resort, but this "final option" should be available.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Fleet Ghost has a good point, here.

And I know I would not have wanted some of the teachers I have known over the years to have immediate access to a firearm in the middle of a room full of children.....not that any of them would have done intentional harm of course.

This is a tough subject.

I am all for defending our right as individual citizens to bear arms....but find it frightening that the idea of training and arming teachers in the State of Ohio has garnered such widespread and enthusiastic response.

I still don't see where the idea of each school district deciding whether or not to employ one highly trained armed guard in each building is such a bad idea. It sounds much better than arming the teachers, at least to me. As for how to pay them....that would be up to the districts.
Davis

France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 4, 2013

Judged:

I was physically attacked by a teacher when I was a kid. Another kid in my class was accused of doing something that he didn't do and I said something to the teacher about it and the teacher grabbed me, threw me on the floor and began hitting me. I was 14. I wonder if he would have ad a gun if I would still be here today?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of22
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

44 Users are viewing the Bellefontaine Forum right now

Search the Bellefontaine Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Should Obama-Holder be given a pass because the... 3 min magictrix 11
Happy Easter 7 min GBA-freedom 4
Kermy? Is that his name? He shuffles around tow... 10 min magictrix 3
Obama Nominates Homosexual Black Man 2 Fed Court 13 min GBA-freedom 15
Bias Mods continue to remove threads! 16 min GBA-freedom 18
what do the ten states with the highest taxes h... 18 min GBA-freedom 30
is belief in god more rational than being an at... 22 min GBA-freedom 87
•••
•••