Christ Our King Church Website
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
WillLuvsCOK

Lima, OH

#41 Jun 14, 2010
Where is our friendly neighborhood preachers assistant when we need him to explain biblical reference? Will, where art thou?
goodness

Bellville, OH

#42 Jun 14, 2010
God owns the whole earth and ALL the money in it! We are to tithe to pay for the cost of running the church. All the utilities, curriculum, LOVE funds that help others, etc. Yes, we are to give 10%. But if we give that 10% with a hesitant heart because maybe $10 could pay off a bill, God knows and is not pleased. He knows our heart and our motive. If we gave 10%+ extra with a boastful heart, look what I give type attitude, He is not pleased either.
My God is pleased when we give with a CHEERFUL heart. And an expectant heart to see what He will do with it!
It is NOT about the LAW!!! It is about GRACE!!!!!! God is NOT up there check marking each time we fail to give 10%. He looks at our heart.
The LAW focuses on sin and trying to do well to earn something... while GRACE focuses on a relationship with the Savior knowing it is not on our performance but on His performance ~ the Cross!
Someone did mention that it is ironic how non-church goers seem to be able to say what they think should be done with the money. Attend a church, develop a wonderful relationship with Jesus and then once you have tasted Grace and Love, then come back and get on here.
Bip Bop

Bucyrus, OH

#43 Jun 14, 2010
God does not own the money in my little scrap of the Earth, and no church is getting a piece of it either--lessn maybe I stop by their bonanza roadkill supper and buy me a sammich and a cup o dat koolaid they do so well at.
Diane Jullien

Croton, OH

#44 Jun 14, 2010
Bip Bop wrote:
God does not own the money in my little scrap of the Earth, and no church is getting a piece of it either--lessn maybe I stop by their bonanza roadkill supper and buy me a sammich and a cup o dat koolaid they do so well at.
To say "God does not own the money in my little scrap of the Earth" is fine. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. However, the rest of it was completely unnecessary. No need to go there. This thread has gotten completely out of hand.
Lip Flop

Bucyrus, OH

#45 Jun 14, 2010
A thread that gets out of hand could qickly lead to total em-bare-ass-ment.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#46 Jun 15, 2010
interesting wrote:
<quoted text>so it appears. i have been asked many questions about my opinion of COK and I really have none because I haven't had any dealing with them. However, my neice is now asking about attending there, I would be interested in reading a statement of faith rather than the info they have on their website before I tell my sister if I think it would be a good idea to send her or not.
Interesting, sorry about the delay in my response to you. You asked a great question about the statement of faith, one I will be posting about on our blog more in depth this week. I will let you know when I post it.

Here is the abbreviated version...:)

Our statement of faith as Christians is the Bible! I know many churches have additional documents that outline their particular set of beliefs, which I am not hating on, but I hope and pray and believe those beliefs are Biblical.

The interesting question is why do we need an additional document outlining our particular beliefs? Is not the Bible sufficient? Again, I am not writing this in a condenscending way, but rather I hope what is written compels unity in the Body of Christ.

If you look at statements of faith from Gospel preaching assemblies, and compare them, you will find most agree on most points! So, is the essence of a SOF to highlight what is believed for unities sake, or to highlight the minor differences for divisions sake?

Let me give you an example. You may have one church that believes a person has to be submerged in water to be considered baptised. Then there is another assembly that believes a person only need be sprinkled with water to be considered baptised. Now, both assemblies believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ and that He is the only way to have a relationship with the Father and He is the atonement for sin, etc...

So, on the really major, important issues as Christians, they agree! But what is most often highlighted and brought to a point of division are the more minor issues.

Do you really think in the grand scheme of things it matters whether a person was submerged in water or sprinkled with water to be baptised??? No! In the Bible you see people being baptised in the Jordan river, but if historical record is true, when the Apostle Paul was in prison in Rome, he used a 4 inch wide drain that would backfill with water to baptise people!!! I have actually seen it with my eyes. I do not believe they were submerging there! The truth is, baptism has nothing to do with the amount of water, but everything to do with the person's heart.

And I bet both assemblies would agree baptism has to do with a person's heart! So, why is there need for division over a minor issue?

That is one example of many where as Christians we major in the minor's! We let little differences take the spotlight and cause division, rather than focusing on the weightier matters at hand, such as loving God first, loving one another and loving the broken world we are reaching with the Gospel.

At Christ Our King our Statement of Faith is the Bible. We didn't put a SOF on our website because we do not have one outside of Scripture. That does not make us better or worse than any other believer. Because above all else in a believer's life, the Word of God and your relationship with Him should be number one!

I hope that explains the absence of a SOF. At the same time, I am more than happy to answer any question about doctrine that you may have. I don't think Topix would be the best forum to discuss doctrine, so I would be more than happy to provide you with my email address and we can correspond that way.

If there is any doctrine that is Unbiblical, I invite you to share it with our Topix friends! Above all else, we love you!

Have a great day today!

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#47 Jun 15, 2010
WillLuvsCOK wrote:
Where is our friendly neighborhood preachers assistant when we need him to explain biblical reference? Will, where art thou?
LOL!! Forgive me for my delay...

Tithing is a Biblical principle. However, it is a topic that should never cause division or argument between believer's, especially on a forum like Topix.

I do not expect a non-Christian to understand tithing. Before I was a Christian I thought it was a crazy thought to give God 10%.

Through my relationship with God though I have learned that everything I have is His, from the money in my paycheck to the air I breathe. The Bible says "The Earth is the Lord's and everything therein." So it no longer is a hard thing to understand tithing.

So I do not indict anyone for not understanding tithing, I have been there in my life.

God gives us many opportunities and commands to give. So whether it is tithing or giving food to someone who is hungry (both of which should be done), it should all be done unto the Lord!

Let me say this in closing. Christianity is obviously based on the fact that the Bible is the infallible Word of God. Additionally though, the Bible is full of instruction and wisdom and the answers to all of life's questions.

It is what teaches us the principle of tithing, but also how God is our provision and so we do not need to be afraid to give, whether the tithe or to pay someone's mortgage, because God promises to supply our needs and be our provision.

One of the most profound experiences I have had in my life since being a Christian is going through this last Economic Recession and not being afraid or scared about the state of the economy. If God is my provision, and He promises to take care of my needs, than I do not need to fear an economic crisis.

A personal relationship with Jesus is real and has an impact in a person's daily life! I think it is easy to get caught up in the religiosity of Christianity, but we must never forget the "Simplicity that is in Jesus Christ." (2 Corinthians 11:3)

I pray that God's love captures your heart!
Jir Caugh

Cleveland, TN

#48 Jun 15, 2010
“The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

“People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.”

"In the beginning the church was a fellowship of men and women centering on the living Christ. Then the church moved to Greece where it became a philosophy. Then it moved to Rome where it became an institution. Next, it moved to Europe, where it became a culture. And, finally, it moved to America where it became an enterprise.--"

A fanatic is someone who cannot change his mind and will not change the subject
Deuteronomy Skaggs

Mansfield, OH

#49 Jun 15, 2010
Jir Caugh wrote:
“The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
“People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want you to share yours with them.”
"In the beginning the church was a fellowship of men and women centering on the living Christ. Then the church moved to Greece where it became a philosophy. Then it moved to Rome where it became an institution. Next, it moved to Europe, where it became a culture. And, finally, it moved to America where it became an enterprise.--"
A fanatic is someone who cannot change his mind and will not change the subject
Halverson, Barry and Harkness?
laffinatcha

Greenville, SC

#50 Jun 15, 2010
this website is better than comedy central - i applaud the creativity and forethought to making religion once again the butt of the joke -
Jir Caugh

Cleveland, TN

#51 Jun 15, 2010
“When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land. They said,'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land.”

Bishop Desmond Tutu quotes (African Spiritual leader and Novelist, b.1931

btw skagg, quotation marks are used to denote a quote. But thanks for researching. You know any of those people?
Diane Jullien

Croton, OH

#52 Jun 16, 2010
I will truly miss Christ Our King Church, Pastor Ricks and the wonderful people of the church. I will pray for them daily. What a blessing they are to so many people and will continue to be. I am thankful where I am going, I will have a church where the spirit of God moves just as freely and the Pastor and the people of the church believe in the bible as their doctrine and instructions for lives. I pray that if even for a brief moment, you allow the love of the Lord into your hearts so you will know true peace and joy. Once you feel that, you will never want to let it go. God Bless.

“Love one another, serve....”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#53 Jun 17, 2010
I was raised in a terrible home. I had little to no love, and as the years went on, the people around me were not so nice either.
I entered a life of drugs, drinking in means to cover the pain. The pain, it only got worse. I did not understand the things of God, what He desires, what He created...I did not understand that the things I thought would be bondage would actually become FREEDOM!
God had better for me, I don't suffer depression from the pasts abuse, I am free of addictions and other forms of bondage. Someone told me once that there is not God, I did all of that. First, anyone who knew me then knew I was not good, therefore did not desire any good... and had no strength to dig myself out of anything. Secondly, whenever I wondered if there was a God, I looked at the evil Satan passes around and knew there was.
See, no one fights for their cause if there is not an opposing cause. Satan has nothing to gain if he is all there is. All of you fighting so hard .... what are you really fighting? It isn't us, or what we believe. Those at COK put up a website, no one said you have to go there and listen/read. So what are you fighting about?
Back to the beginning of what I was saying. Jesus brought me a way out of the terrible life that I was living. I was born into a family that was dysfunctional to say the least. Then later, I carried that dysfunction with me. I was given a way out, forgiveness, love, mercy, and grace. God did all that for me, little ol' me who was living a life completely against His way and creation. I had never experienced love like that, ever!
I walked in to the doors of Christ Our King and knew I was where God wanted me. Maybe some of you wont believe that, but it is true. I had not heard Pastor Ricks speak yet, I knew nothing of the man personally. I had heard rumors, good and bad. I was just looking for a church I could attend...I asked God to show me truth and He was faithful and did.
I serve a living God, He cares for me, He speaks to me....no "twilight nu-nu" stuff....it's real and it is love!

Anyone out there reading this who feels unloved, unwanted by society, abuses, neglected or may be feeling so bad over life choices....there are answers. Followers of Jesus are not mind washers, those who tell you that are following deception and don't want you to be free and don't want you to have the love of God delivering you from the bondage of addictions, hate, anger, frustration, fear and many other things you or someone you know may be battling!
witness from COK

Cleveland, TN

#54 Jun 18, 2010
Galatians 5_19 wrote:
I was raised in a terrible home. I had little to no love, and as the years went on, the people around me were not so nice either.
I entered a life of drugs, drinking in means to cover the pain. The pain, it only got worse. I did not understand the things of God, what He desires, what He created...I did not understand that the things I thought would be bondage would actually become FREEDOM!
God had better for me, I don't suffer depression from the pasts abuse, I am free of addictions and other forms of bondage. Someone told me once that there is not God, I did all of that. First, anyone who knew me then knew I was not good, therefore did not desire any good... and had no strength to dig myself out of anything. Secondly, whenever I wondered if there was a God, I looked at the evil Satan passes around and knew there was.
See, no one fights for their cause if there is not an opposing cause. Satan has nothing to gain if he is all there is. All of you fighting so hard .... what are you really fighting? It isn't us, or what we believe. Those at COK put up a website, no one said you have to go there and listen/read. So what are you fighting about?
Back to the beginning of what I was saying. Jesus brought me a way out of the terrible life that I was living. I was born into a family that was dysfunctional to say the least. Then later, I carried that dysfunction with me. I was given a way out, forgiveness, love, mercy, and grace. God did all that for me, little ol' me who was living a life completely against His way and creation. I had never experienced love like that, ever!
I walked in to the doors of Christ Our King and knew I was where God wanted me. Maybe some of you wont believe that, but it is true. I had not heard Pastor Ricks speak yet, I knew nothing of the man personally. I had heard rumors, good and bad. I was just looking for a church I could attend...I asked God to show me truth and He was faithful and did.
I serve a living God, He cares for me, He speaks to me....no "twilight nu-nu" stuff....it's real and it is love!
Anyone out there reading this who feels unloved, unwanted by society, abuses, neglected or may be feeling so bad over life choices....there are answers. Followers of Jesus are not mind washers, those who tell you that are following deception and don't want you to be free and don't want you to have the love of God delivering you from the bondage of addictions, hate, anger, frustration, fear and many other things you or someone you know may be battling!
All this is so true about this House of the living God called Christ our King church. Hi Will!! We Love you Pastor Ricks.
Hazel

Urbana, OH

#55 Jun 18, 2010
That is sweet. I feel great when I'm around COK too.
MoldyLocks

Huntsville, OH

#56 Jun 18, 2010
Hazel, you forgot the second C.
Kate Andre

Harrod, OH

#57 Feb 6, 2011
interesting wrote:
I will have to take a look at that website. If that stuff you listed above is on there...I have to wonder. I thought it was about serving God, not the man. They sound like they "idolize" the pastor. Is that acceptable in the church to put one man on such a high pedestal?
Pastor Ricks is not on worshipped... in fact, you won't even be able to find a bio or photo of him on the website (at his request- because its not about him and he doesn't want it to be!)

He is, however, loved by the people he has helped. There are not a lot of pastors (or people even!) that you could call at all hours of the night and know that you will get the help that you need. A lot of Christians have been hurt and let down by people in authority at churches, so it doesn't surprise me that a good pastor would be loved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellefontaine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Trump is yours.......Deal with it! (Jan '17) 18 min okimar 1,698
Do You Support Gay Marriage? (Apr '09) Sat Geraldo 1,255
Life Lesson's! (Nov '16) Sat CALM STILL VOICE 399
Is Topix on Life Support? (May '15) Sat CALM STILL VOICE 94
News Suspected heroin overdose victim revived in Bel... Sat Wite_Out 7
Old Post Office (Feb '09) Jul 21 Charlie Chipmonk 32
Positive Teens? Jul 21 Jeanieg1601 4

Bellefontaine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bellefontaine Mortgages