Low pay drives Florida Highway Patrol troopers to the exits -- ...

Full story: Orlando Sentinel

Longtime Florida Highway Patrol troopers continue to leave the agency in droves for higher-paying jobs as police officers, deputy sheriffs and even federal air marshals.
Comments
221 - 231 of 231 Comments Last updated Jul 29, 2014
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
unknown

Panama City, FL

#235 Apr 5, 2009
this for the guy saying law enforcement should stop complaing about there pay i dont think you realize the amount of danger we are in every day especially for correctional officers we go in to a dormm with 200 people unarmed and they all are against us lets see you do that i dont think you have what it takes get a job in law enforcement and then make your comments after all we put our lives on the line for you to be safe in your neighborhoods please people know what your talking about before you comment
Do not

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#236 Apr 5, 2009
GOOD! The less the better!
SeeYa

United States

#237 Nov 4, 2010
Good riddance. The FHP is nothing more than an organization to harass the normal folks of our society by issuing speeding tickets. Why not chase the real criminals instead of being A-holes to the normal folks. The whole organization should be disbanded
Tom Cat 5 Trooper

Wake Forest, NC

#238 Feb 4, 2011
Would like to put in my 2 sense. I hear folks speak poorly about Troopers I don't understand it at all. I once thought of working in Florida as a Trooper. Uh NO WAY the pay is fine however there is no room for advancement. How about all this talk about Troopers from degree speaking cheap suits. I urge everyone to look at www.officerdown.com you tell me if they get paid enough. It takes a bold, physically fit, tongue biting,and decisive person to be a Trooper or police officer. A lot of my friends work from home promoting large companies or designing websites like this, they get paid 3 times what I get paid an that's fine I don't post blogs about how great they have it and complain about them making 3 times my pay. I am happy helping people that want to cut my pay, I even help those that shoot at me. I doubt you are the kind of person who would shoot someone to eliminate a threat and then turn around and stop their bleeding in hopes to save their life. writing tickets is only a part of the job, what you don't see are the warrants served on child molesters, domestic violence calls where a police officer or sheriffs deputy need immediate assistance, that stolen vehicle that was once owned by you (your screaming at police that they aren't doing enough to get your car back) is being chased and a serial killing is driving the car as you chase it down the interstate at 2am and your the only car on the road because retention sucks due to low pay. I don't think I need to go on, it's self explanatory. Keep speaking like a true democrat, and screw up government more than it already is. Wonderful. way to go you!!
Sasa Linic

West Palm Beach, FL

#239 Sep 8, 2012
Orlando Homegrown wrote:
Starting pay is almost $700 a week! And they are whining about not getting enough money. Check around and see what the average starting pay is for the greater majority of Florida's citizenry. Not to mention the type of job they have is driving a car with no speed limits to comply with, no physical labor to mention other an the occasional foot race. Then to think OPD starts out at a whopping $800 a week! Cry me a river! All we hear about is our underpayed law enforcement officers. Doesn't sound to me that they are doing too shabby! Most of these veteran cops with 10 years plus are making in excess of 55-60 grand a year.
I agree with you a hundred percent, the pay is above average compared to ordinary people, I remember when I was in the Army and was getting paid minimum wage to get mortared and shot at and I never saw my family for years at a time. These people need to get real and stop bitching. I also believe that patrol cars should stay at the station not taken for personal use.
K9 Duke

AOL

#240 Mar 29, 2013
Worked in Law Enforcement for 27 Yrs in Mass and avg pay for Mass Trooper out of school is about 63,000 without OT,Details,etc, lot of Troopers are in the high 90,000 easy to 110,000 more then Gov is paid.
K9 Duke

AOL

#241 Mar 29, 2013
Training Academy Pay

State trooper candidates receive $840.80 biweekly while attending training classes at the Massachusetts State Police Academy, as of June 2011. Candidates also receive state health benefits while taking classes and training; candidates' biweekly pay doesn't reflect the value of these health benefits. The coursework needed to become a Massachusetts state trooper lasts 25 weeks and includes more than 90 difference courses of instruction, including physical and firearms training. This makes the total pay for candidates $10,510 for the entirety of the training process.

Trooper Base Pay

A Massachusetts state trooper receives pay biweekly based on his years of service with the department. According to the Executive Office of Public Safety and Security's website, the state assigns a particular salary step to each trooper based on experience; steps range from 1 to 5. Steps six and seven also exist, but base pay caps at Step 5. Base pay ranges from about $1,970 biweekly for a trooper at Step 1 to $2,470 biweekly for a trooper at salary Step 5. These figures make for annual salaries ranging from about $47,290 to $59,240.

Read more: The Base Pay for a Massachusetts State Trooper | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8645133_base-pay-mas...
TROOPER BOY

Abingdon, VA

#242 Jun 7, 2014
In modern America I wont want to be cop , what happen to the day were they help people not lock um up for small infraction , there not liked and are over dressed with clits and shine , trigger happy with a clip board , over trained , to kill , not help , have inmates clean polish cars , badges theses people need to look long and hard about law enforcement , they need mental screening . and leave additudes at home , and complain about money on six figure income

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#243 Jun 9, 2014
Alway's thought the biggest problem confronting Florida's State Troopers, is that their backup is usually a ways away.....
TROOPER BOY

Abingdon, VA

#244 Jun 9, 2014
If they call for back up somebody going to some backward Florida town that needs money to jail , these troopers setup people like a chain gang , and they say but there life on the line for what ? so they can get more donuts , drive expensive cars with the latest weapons , life on the line get real
not so

Abingdon, VA

#245 Jul 29, 2014
ok

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belleair Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Florida Beach Rentals Sun HaleyLang 1
Generosity Company Thrift Store Sat Mark W 1
Little league signs ups Aug 29 New to town 3
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Aug 29 Sur 13 Beat 2,959
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) Aug 28 Liberal forever 2,121
Lawsuit Alleges Illegal Debt Collection Practic... (May '07) Aug 28 LLCheever 309
I Shall Believe Aug 26 guest 2
•••
•••
•••

Belleair Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Belleair People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••