Mountain Lion Killed near Belle Fourche

Mountain Lion Killed near Belle Fourche

There are 5 comments on the KSFY story from Mar 20, 2008, titled Mountain Lion Killed near Belle Fourche. In it, KSFY reports that:

Game, Fish and Parks officers killed a mountain lion that was treed by a dog east of Belle Fourche. via KSFY

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KSFY.

great

United States

#1 Mar 22, 2008
Treed by a dog mountain lion is not a danger, but these people just like to shoot to kill anything with a pulse.
Katie

Pooler, GA

#2 Mar 24, 2008
I understand the value of people, property, and even pregnant sheep, but it is obvious that somebody doesn't understand either the beauty or the value of a mountain lion. The poor thing could have/should have been tranquilized and moved.
Zac

Denver, CO

#3 Jun 9, 2008
These people understand completely the beauty of nature, but they aren't only protecting their property, but their family and loved ones, i used to live in south dakota and it gets real annoying when people think we are mindless hicks who'll shoot for the thrill, we value the lives of things in nature, but anyone in the end should choose a human life, when faced with the situation, I'm sure tou would choose the same.
Zac

Denver, CO

#4 Jun 9, 2008
I really think if your, or your family's life were in danger, you wouldn't give a second thought about killing it to save your skin, and please, be realistic, how many tranqilizer darts do you have sitting around? I dont hate mountain lions, what I hate is people who think they're harmless and defenseless, they are dangerous, people have to remember this, nature MUST be preserved, but at the cost of human life? In this situation animal control should have been called and the situation should have been closely monitered until they arrived, but you have to remember, What if you were in that situation? Katie, obviously you don't understand the value of people, thats just a terrible thing to say, that you think that people should die, or risk being attacked, just so that this animal should live and your concious be cleared. like I said, this situation may not have been handled properly, but think about what your saying.
and another thing, I find that extremely offensive when people base their opinions on propoganda and rumors about people like me or people from south dakota, because if that's what you think about us, you obviously don't know us, I'm not saying people like that don't exist, but this is not an example of a person like that.

“Home at last!”

Since: Apr 08

The midwest

#5 Jun 10, 2008
Zac wrote:
These people understand completely the beauty of nature, but they aren't only protecting their property, but their family and loved ones, i used to live in south dakota and it gets real annoying when people think we are mindless hicks who'll shoot for the thrill, we value the lives of things in nature, but anyone in the end should choose a human life, when faced with the situation, I'm sure tou would choose the same.
Well said Zac. I live in Black Hawk, and am well aware of the increasing mountain lion population. So many people think mountain lions are just big kittens like somthing from a Disney movie, but that is a long way from reality. When populations increase, the competition for food and territory increases, and younger cats are pushed out into close proximity to people and communities. It is a sad reality. Mountain lions must be managed like any other wild animal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belle Fourche Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in South Dako... (Oct '10) Jan '16 gi joe 12
(Harmon and Sexton, 1996), (Van Wagner, 1968), ... (Aug '15) Aug '15 Twil37 1
News INTERVIEW: Sheriff Mark Kessler (Oct '09) Jul '15 Doc 15
Debate: Abortion Debate - Belle Fourche, SD (Jun '15) Jun '15 Seymour 1
Debate: Immigration - Belle Fourche, SD (Jul '10) Jun '15 Seymour 7
Debate: Gay Marriage - Belle Fourche, SD (Jan '12) Jun '15 Seymour 6
delivery (May '14) May '14 hungry 1

Belle Fourche Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Belle Fourche Mortgages