Family Claims Race Led to Shooting

Family Claims Race Led to Shooting

There are 11 comments on the KTRH-AM Houston story from Jan 2, 2009, titled Family Claims Race Led to Shooting. In it, KTRH-AM Houston reports that:

Family members say racial profiling led to the shooting that injured a 23 year old man in Bellaire Wednesday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTRH-AM Houston.

Desi

Houston, TX

#1 Jan 6, 2009
Lets wait for the complete investigation before playing the "race card".
Lisa

United States

#2 Jan 8, 2009
I am white and I have NO doubt this was about race. This boy is in the hospital because he is black, period.
Desi

Houston, TX

#3 Jan 8, 2009
You only run from the police if you have something to hide.
Lisa

United States

#4 Jan 9, 2009
Desi wrote:
You only run from the police if you have something to hide.
He never ran from police, he was shot in his front yard when he attempted to protect his mother.
Mr Smith

Cypress, TX

#5 Jan 9, 2009
I still have failed to read in print or see on a newscast anything about the them running from the police. No one can produce anything about this so called stolen car report???
This reeks!!!
Lisa

United States

#6 Jan 9, 2009
Mr Smith wrote:
I still have failed to read in print or see on a newscast anything about the them running from the police. No one can produce anything about this so called stolen car report???
This reeks!!!
There was no running. This article is one of the best I have read about the incident.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/08/baseballe...

If they thought the car was stolen, did they run the plates? How long does that take? I am so sick of these cops that think shooting an unarmed kid is acceptable. I hope this does not ruin his life. At his age he probably had only heard about racism and had not seen it like his parents and grandparents. I am so sorry he had to see it like this. I have a niece who is 3 of mixed race, it breaks my heart to think anyone would ever treat her differently because of her skin color. I hope this cop is prosecuted with a hate crime.
hmm

Craigavon, UK

#7 Jan 9, 2009
hmm
arden

Cincinnati, OH

#8 Jan 10, 2009
Lisa, I appreciate and share your perspective and concern on this case, and don't mean to be insulting, but your statement "At his age he probably had only heard about racism and had not seen it like his parents and grandparents" is just...unbelievable to me. Surely you mean that (prior to this) he has not experienced racism TO THE SAME DEGREE as his parents and grandparents? To say a 23-year-old black American male in 2009 has probably "only heard about racism" and not actually "seen it" is just....mind boggling. He has surely experienced racism on a routine basis all his life. And your 3-year-old niece will experience it, too.
Lisa

United States

#9 Jan 12, 2009
arden wrote:
Lisa, I appreciate and share your perspective and concern on this case, and don't mean to be insulting, but your statement "At his age he probably had only heard about racism and had not seen it like his parents and grandparents" is just...unbelievable to me. Surely you mean that (prior to this) he has not experienced racism TO THE SAME DEGREE as his parents and grandparents? To say a 23-year-old black American male in 2009 has probably "only heard about racism" and not actually "seen it" is just....mind boggling. He has surely experienced racism on a routine basis all his life. And your 3-year-old niece will experience it, too.
Yes I did mean to say, not to the same degree. But also he grew up the son of a baseball player and I am sure the racism he grew up with was nothing like young blacks in poor neighborhoods face. After the things I have read and heard during this election, I know that racists are still out there and that COMPLETELY sheilding my niece from the hate will probably be impossible but one can hope, can't we.
MajorMalfunction

Coventry, UK

#10 Jan 12, 2009
WTF is wrong with america ! cops shooting unarmed civilians in front of their own homes, why did he check the plates first if he thought the car was stolen and why treat a 55 year old woman so badly... such a screwed up country!
Lisa

United States

#11 Jan 12, 2009
MajorMalfunction wrote:
WTF is wrong with america ! cops shooting unarmed civilians in front of their own homes, why did he check the plates first if he thought the car was stolen and why treat a 55 year old woman so badly... such a screwed up country!
I guess in the UK no racism exists, right? Pahlease. Google police and racism in the UK. It shows that they don't contain their racism to blacks but also Chinese, muslim, gays, just anyone not white. I guess we both live in a screwed up country, huh?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellaire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: iLoveKickboxing - Houston Memorial 6 hr real news 24
News Mannequin challenge video leads to arrests 6 hr dummiesworking 2
News Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 21 hr Truth is might 23,810
News Man dies in shooting in NW Harris County Wed Pcc 2
I slapped a metro bus driver Wed Go Blue Forever 4
Looking for a plug Tue Wondering 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun '16 robert 994

Bellaire Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bellaire Mortgages