Letters: Plenty of views on the evolu...

Letters: Plenty of views on the evolution debate

There are 3 comments on the Houston Chronicle story from Mar 25, 2009, titled Letters: Plenty of views on the evolution debate. In it, Houston Chronicle reports that:

In response to the Tuesday column by Lisa Falkenberg "Education board a dangerous sideshow": I question if allowing the teaching of problems with the Darwin theory is so dangerous, if so in what way? I disagree with Falkenberg, and believe it is not dangerous to teach our children about weaknesses in Darwin's theory, but that they be allowed to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Houston Chronicle.

Since: Apr 08

Walla Walla, WA

#1 Mar 25, 2009
Selected excerpts from selected letters:
"In response to the Tuesday column by Lisa Falkenberg “Education board a dangerous sideshow”: I question if allowing the teaching of problems with the Darwin theory is so dangerous, if so in what way? I disagree with Falkenberg, and believe it is not dangerous to teach our children about weaknesses in Darwin’s theory, but that they be allowed to hear both sides of the argument. I believe there are intellectual arguments for and against the theory. Finally what about the full title of Darwin’s Origin of the Species’ which is, On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection or the Preservation of Favored Races in the Struggle for Life. Can we teach our children that this is wrong or would that be prohibited by this new ruling? What race should we teach them is favored?"

PW - This writer doesn't understand that "Darwin's" theory has been modified over the past 150 years. There are not 2 sides to this argument. There is the Theory of Evolution which explains the diversification of life on Earth. There are no competing theories. There are not groups of scientists debating whether the ToE is valid or not. There are only groups of fundamentalists who purposefully choose to remain ignorant concerning science. The writer also does not understand that word usage changes over time and the Darwin was not racist.

"Regarding Tuesday’s Lisa Falkenberg column about the teaching of evolution,“Education Board a dangerous sideshow,” B1, it is important to note that there are indeed weaknesses in the theory. The evidence tends to support that life on Earth evolved over time. But the evidence is dramatically incomplete so the theory is not an indisputable fact.

Science is the critical examination of information in an attempt to learn the truth. Science does not cherry-pick the data.

Indeed, science considers all available data, even the data that tends to disprove the observer’s ideas. Let’s be sure to present all the evidence and let’s examine it critically, OK? Teaching children that a majority of people believe in a creator is not the same as teaching religion, it’s merely presenting a fact. As long as all ideas are presented without condescension or bias, I don’t know what valid objection any reasonable person could possibly have."

PW - Again - exactly what weakness are there to teach? This is never explained by the fundiots/IDiots.

Since: Nov 08

Boise, ID

#2 Mar 25, 2009
Primewonk wrote:
PW - Again - exactly what weakness are there to teach? This is never explained by the fundiots/IDiots.
We all know what those weaknesses are. The theory of evolution does not align with some people's religious convictions. The danger is teaching kids that scientific conclusions can be ignored in preference for religious faith.
Dikaiopolis

United States

#3 Mar 26, 2009
A plenitude of views is NO substitute for objective evidence. Not one of the many sides to this debate will admit to this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bellaire Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lyin Ted Cruz 10 hr truth 4
No more farts, on to Gettysburg Sausages (Aug '17) 14 hr Balloons 35
say it in six words 17 hr Spider 2
Camaro ZL1.R 19 hr KsdBu 6
Coffee house 22 hr wondering 8
News Remembering Houston's 2016 Tax Day flood3 MinsI... Wed Walter glen stockton 1
Roseville california ? Someones father ? Tue Herrod 4

Bellaire Jobs

Personal Finance

Bellaire Mortgages