Student Works To Implement New Policy...

Student Works To Implement New Policy At MSU

There are 1 comment on the KTMF story from Dec 3, 2013, titled Student Works To Implement New Policy At MSU. In it, KTMF reports that:

According to the Students for Sensible Drug Policy website, 240 universities across the country have implemented a policy to prevent students from being penalized if they call 911 in a life or death situation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KTMF.

A Concerned Parent

Dudley, NC

#1 Dec 4, 2013
As a parent, I believe we should not be in denial about drug and alcohol use -- especially at college. Our kids will be experiencing adult freedoms for the first time and probably make many various and sundry mistakes. That is how the learning process often happens.

It is for this reason I support the "Good Samaritan Policies" being championed by Anthony Varriano. I would like my adult child to know there is a policy in place that would prevent students from being penalized by the school or arrested by the police if they call 911 for a life or death situation resulting from drug or alcohol abuse.

I think the MSU Police Chief, Robert Putzke, is incorrect. I believe every college and university needs to implement a formal policy about this issue. The sentiment "typically students don't get penalized ..." is not good enough for me, as a concerned parent. It is SPECULATION on the Police Chief's part that this policy would be abused by individuals.

"To get the policy implemented, several university departments including the Dean of Students would have to discuss it." Please, to all responsible departments and to the Dean of Students, implement this policy. This won't make the students party harder it will make them party safer.

Thank you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belgrade Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News IronHaus, Inc. awarded job creation grant (Feb '16) Jun '16 bev 2
Looking for a 1 or 2 Bedroom Apt in Belgrade (Aug '15) Aug '15 Friendly_MTnative 1
Fireworks in belgrade (Jun '14) Jul '14 Butthead 3
News School District Ballots Mailed Out (Apr '14) Apr '14 dakota3c06 1
News Robert "Bob/Beez" Beesley (Feb '14) Feb '14 kash 1
propane (Jan '14) Jan '14 OffGridder 2
News Currying favor: Tempting aromas, flavors lure g... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Tonto 2

Belgrade Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Belgrade Mortgages