Police union sues Albuquerque mayor (...

Police union sues Albuquerque mayor (3:27 p.m.)

There are 30 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Jan 4, 2011, titled Police union sues Albuquerque mayor (3:27 p.m.). In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

The Albuquerque police union is suing the mayor over a policy change for take-home patrol cars.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
New Mexico Native

Frisco, TX

#1 Jan 4, 2011
There is no reason for public employees to be supplied with "personal use " taxpayer provided, transportation for going to the work place or returning to the residence from work after the work shift is ended. A police officer, firefighter, mayor's secretary, or second story burglar,(nor an archbishop is out seducing cute parishioners), are no more responsive to the public welfare when ensconced on a couch watching "Dumbo - Yexas Ranger". Next thing the cops will be demanding, will be overtime pay for the time they are at home, as they will deem themselves to be on duty because they have to take a patrol car home and garage that vehicle within their residential property. I should not equate firefighters with police as their work is often pro-active whereas police show up at the scene after the burglar is long gone.
Love LC

Burgaw, NC

#2 Jan 4, 2011
I want our Police Officers to be able to take their squad cars home. I feel safer having that car parked next to my house or in my neighborhood. It IS a deterrent for crime.
Look Around

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Jan 4, 2011
Good to see this getting some attention.

But look at it this way --

How many NMSU PSL lab cards drive home or to / from WSMR every day - employees of other companies have to get to WSMR on their own.

Or look at all the Government Plant (IS from WSMR) parked at houses.

This "personal" us is far bigger than APD.
Support Your Community

Gallup, NM

#4 Jan 4, 2011
So these officers don't even live in the city/community/county where they work, and yet they want to be able to take taxpayer-provided vehicles home at taxpayer expense? Good for those officers who do live in the community that pays their check. Shame on those who are greedy and more concerned about themselves than they are about the city who employs them.
Annoyed

Huntsville, AL

#5 Jan 4, 2011
Support Your Community wrote:
So these officers don't even live in the city/community/county where they work, and yet they want to be able to take taxpayer-provided vehicles home at taxpayer expense? Good for those officers who do live in the community that pays their check. Shame on those who are greedy and more concerned about themselves than they are about the city who employs them.
Dont police officers pay taxes too??? Why do you keep saying taxpayer expense if police officers also pay taxes?? The new City Manager gets a $6000 vehicle expense account and are you complaining?? Now if the police officers pay was tax exempt then I could see your point, but it isnt. They pay taxes just like you and I do so stop using the excuse that it is at the taxpayers expense.
Annoyed

Huntsville, AL

#6 Jan 4, 2011
New Mexico Native wrote:
There is no reason for public employees to be supplied with "personal use " taxpayer provided, transportation for going to the work place or returning to the residence from work after the work shift is ended. A police officer, firefighter, mayor's secretary, or second story burglar,(nor an archbishop is out seducing cute parishioners), are no more responsive to the public welfare when ensconced on a couch watching "Dumbo - Yexas Ranger". Next thing the cops will be demanding, will be overtime pay for the time they are at home, as they will deem themselves to be on duty because they have to take a patrol car home and garage that vehicle within their residential property. I should not equate firefighters with police as their work is often pro-active whereas police show up at the scene after the burglar is long gone.
You have no clue!!!!

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#7 Jan 4, 2011
Love LC wrote:
I want our Police Officers to be able to take their squad cars home. I feel safer having that car parked next to my house or in my neighborhood. It IS a deterrent for crime.
Really, then explain why several police cars have been broken into parked in their own driveways?

If you feel so strongly then YOU pay the cost of fuel and for their private personal use of those cars.

Sorry but I don't agree with you.

Location hidden

#8 Jan 4, 2011
Maybe us taxpayers should sue the union for ripping off our money that should not be used for personal use of police cars.

Being allowed to go shopping, out to eat, taking kids to school and all the other things we use our own cars for should not be allowed.

So police union boss who gets paid by the city be forewarned that the general tax paying public is considering a class action suit against the union for unauthorized use of city tax money.
Sorbet

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jan 4, 2011
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
Really, then explain why several police cars have been broken into parked in their own driveways?
If you feel so strongly then YOU pay the cost of fuel and for their private personal use of those cars.
Sorry but I don't agree with you.
Fuel, insurance and maintenance for those vehicles for usage when not on the clock
sincamisa

Rio Rancho, NM

#10 Jan 4, 2011
This is why we cant cut budgets or reduce the size of government. Public employees get so numerous they become a political force and reducing their size/number or pay becomes politically difficult.

The police are a huge and political organization. They get their own legs through sheer numbers and it makes it very difficult to deal with them: Just like the military ...the two biggest budget drains in government. No other nation spends as much per/capita on police as we do in the USA. It is time we the people stand up and take our streets back...from the cops. Mayor, many of us are right behind you on this. Do what ever it takes.

Location hidden

#11 Jan 5, 2011
sincamisa wrote:
This is why we cant cut budgets or reduce the size of government. Public employees get so numerous they become a political force and reducing their size/number or pay becomes politically difficult.
The police are a huge and political organization. They get their own legs through sheer numbers and it makes it very difficult to deal with them: Just like the military ...the two biggest budget drains in government. No other nation spends as much per/capita on police as we do in the USA. It is time we the people stand up and take our streets back...from the cops. Mayor, many of us are right behind you on this. Do what ever it takes.
All it takes is a strong Mayor to stand up the the gang.

Cops want big pay, either give up the cars or go to a big city and work there, sorry they won't let you take the cars home.

Do you see Fire fighters demanding to take fire trucks home?
George

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jan 5, 2011
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
All it takes is a strong Mayor to stand up the the gang.
Cops want big pay, either give up the cars or go to a big city and work there, sorry they won't let you take the cars home.
Do you see Fire fighters demanding to take fire trucks home?
Don't be giving firemen any ideas.
tired

Scottsdale, AZ

#13 Jan 5, 2011
APD feels they deserve take home cars. Some of them don't even own they're own vehicles for this reason. Most of them are arrogant little punks who have never been any better than second string at best. I think they and all city employees have been wronged by violation of contract by Berry who just gave himself a raise. But Abq's biggest gang is wrong here.
Annoyed

Rio Rancho, NM

#14 Jan 5, 2011
tired wrote:
APD feels they deserve take home cars. Some of them don't even own they're own vehicles for this reason. Most of them are arrogant little punks who have never been any better than second string at best. I think they and all city employees have been wronged by violation of contract by Berry who just gave himself a raise. But Abq's biggest gang is wrong here.
Berry is not going to let the Union thugs bully him. These city employees have been on the gravy train far too long. Why should we pay for city vehicles to drive to the grocery store, home depot
the ball game, the mall etc. Good job Mayor Berry.
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Jan 5, 2011
Love LC wrote:
Good, then you pay for yours to do so. We in Abq allow ours to as long as they live within an 11 mile radius of the Big-I, that being where I25 & I40 cross each other. Basically that allows any APD officer who lives within the city limits to do so. I can live with that.

The Abq police unions bitch is for those who live OUTSIDE that radius, like in the east mtns, Grants, Belen, Los Lunas etc. Of what benefit is it to the Abq tax payers to have an APD vehicle at a home in those areas? NONE!!!
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jan 5, 2011
Support Your Community wrote:
Amen to that!
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#17 Jan 5, 2011
sincamisa wrote:
I pretty much agree. In these tough times we ALL have to suck it up, and the APD is not exempt from this, nor should they be. ESPECIALLY those living OUTSIDE the designated area!
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jan 5, 2011
tired wrote:
Berry didn't give himself a raise, he can't! Jez, where do you people come up with this bullshit?
CornDogz

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Jan 5, 2011
Annoyed wrote:
<quoted text>Berry is not going to let the Union thugs bully him. These city employees have been on the gravy train far too long. Why should we pay for city vehicles to drive to the grocery store, home depot
the ball game, the mall etc. Good job Mayor Berry.
They get this arrogance from a total of 12 years of dealing with Marty Chavez, favor for favor...
tired

United States

#20 Jan 5, 2011
APD is our biggest gang in Abq. I don't think any of them should have a take home car. Go to any store, gym, etc and you'll see them doing they're personal business. As for Berry giving himself a raise. You're right he can't, but he sure can push for one. Did he get it? Yup sure did. Is that a lie corndogz? Why wasn't that all over the news? Hmmm I wonder. Wake up!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Child molester sentenced 33 years later (Dec '11) Jul 5 Justice 3
News Commissioners warn against personal fireworks i... Jul 2 Rosa 23
News Two arrested after officer-involved shooting Fr... Jun '16 The truth 1
News New Mexico clinics close up, disappear with pat... Jun '16 Good Luck 18
Paul Marez Apr '16 Hmmm 1
trafic in main st Apr '16 Enough 2
News Residents voice concern over new probation, par... Apr '16 jcperea 2

Belen Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance