Legislators vs. Martinez: Court strikes down veto

Four Democratic legislators on Wednesday bested Republican Gov. Susana Martinez in a power struggle decided by the New Mexico Supreme Court. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Judi

Las Cruces, NM

#1 Jun 23, 2011
Gov Martinez- you need to fire your staff for giving you such BAD advise. It isnot fair to the citizens of New Mexico.
Yeah I Got an Opinion

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Jun 23, 2011
At a time when she should be at her most powerful, Susana Martinez keeps showing losing hands. With Wednesday's State Supreme Court ruling the six-month Governor has lost three major cases before the high court while her relationship with the Legislature continues in gridlock. In short, nothing much is getting done. If it continues much longer, they'll have to rename Paseo de Peralta outside the Roundhouse "Confrontation Road."

Martinez is expending precious political capital in these first six months. Maybe the polls hold up for a while, but over the long-term losing weakens you. Soon the public's take could shift from, "Look how they're trying to stop Susana from doing good," to "Why can't Susana get anything done?"

There's also the issue of institutional damage to the Governor's office. She lost Wednesday defending a partial veto, something earlier Governors had done, but she decided to press the matter in court. When she lost, she lost a negotiating tool for herself and all future Governors.

Advantage: Legislature.

Having a confrontational and gridlocked governorship as we last did in the 90's when Republican Gary Johnson was at the helm is a luxury for when the economy is booming and confidence is high. Folks don't really take much notice. But they do notice when the economy is lousy and the future is riddled with uncertainty.

Susana, as Donald Trump might say, needs to learn the art of the deal if she is to have a successful tenure. She can get some deregulation, further spending reductions and even some tax reform, but she can't get it by dictating or prosecuting.

There's nothing like a good whack of the judicial paddle against a Governor's posterior to get their attention. She has had three of them (Here and here). Now is the time for the Governor to begin building bridges, not continuing to burn them.

What happened to the vaunted legislative and interpersonal skills of Chief of Staff Keith Gardner and Deputy Chief of Staff Brian Moore, both former legislators? Weren't they supposed to be providing the adult supervision for this new Governor?

Are we going to put some points on the board, fellas, or just continue to play as if there are no other teams? Because if the present course continues, the gubernatorial buttocks are sure to suffer many more sore days.
Bertha

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Jun 23, 2011
Yeah I Got an Opinion wrote:
At a time when she should be at her most powerful, Susana Martinez keeps showing losing hands. With Wednesday's State Supreme Court ruling the six-month Governor has lost three major cases before the high court while her relationship with the Legislature continues in gridlock. In short, nothing much is getting done. If it continues much longer, they'll have to rename Paseo de Peralta outside the Roundhouse "Confrontation Road."
Martinez is expending precious political capital in these first six months. Maybe the polls hold up for a while, but over the long-term losing weakens you. Soon the public's take could shift from, "Look how they're trying to stop Susana from doing good," to "Why can't Susana get anything done?"
There's also the issue of institutional damage to the Governor's office. She lost Wednesday defending a partial veto, something earlier Governors had done, but she decided to press the matter in court. When she lost, she lost a negotiating tool for herself and all future Governors.
Advantage: Legislature.
Having a confrontational and gridlocked governorship as we last did in the 90's when Republican Gary Johnson was at the helm is a luxury for when the economy is booming and confidence is high. Folks don't really take much notice. But they do notice when the economy is lousy and the future is riddled with uncertainty.
Susana, as Donald Trump might say, needs to learn the art of the deal if she is to have a successful tenure. She can get some deregulation, further spending reductions and even some tax reform, but she can't get it by dictating or prosecuting.
There's nothing like a good whack of the judicial paddle against a Governor's posterior to get their attention. She has had three of them (Here and here). Now is the time for the Governor to begin building bridges, not continuing to burn them.
What happened to the vaunted legislative and interpersonal skills of Chief of Staff Keith Gardner and Deputy Chief of Staff Brian Moore, both former legislators? Weren't they supposed to be providing the adult supervision for this new Governor?
Are we going to put some points on the board, fellas, or just continue to play as if there are no other teams? Because if the present course continues, the gubernatorial buttocks are sure to suffer many more sore days.
Was this from Joe Monahans blog?
Yeah I Got an Opinion

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Jun 23, 2011
Yes, it is from his blog. Joe is a former journalist and former press secretary for congressman Manuel Lujan, a Republican.

Here is the link:

http://joemonahansnewmexico.blogspot.com/
She Bites

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jun 23, 2011
Judi wrote:
Gov Martinez- you need to fire your staff for giving you such BAD advise. It isnot fair to the citizens of New Mexico.
Do your really think that this tyrant listens to anyone. Judi it was a nice try to help her cover her arse.
Susana Fail

Santa Fe, NM

#7 Jun 23, 2011
Susana la Tejana is nothing more than a Republican operative who has surrounded herself with right wing ideologues. She doesn't have the interest of NM in mind, she is only interested is forwarding the Republican agenda.
Hail to the Queen

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Jun 23, 2011
First we had to deal with King Bill and his arrogance, now we have to put up with Queen Susana and her arrogance. Same sh!t, different day.
Veto fatso

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jun 23, 2011
Is she gone yet?
Southest Shooter

Fort Washakie, WY

#10 Jun 23, 2011
So Santa Fe is helping itself out, Our Las Crucen is looking at the entire state. VETO the whole amount !~!
PORK
Then unemployment..... WHAT A JOKE
TAX THE WORKING TO PAY FOR THE UNEMPLOYED......
NOPE
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, and KEEP MAking us proud !~!
La Reina Tejana

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Jun 23, 2011
Nothing new being said or done with this governor....this is exactly how she ruled and continues to rule the Third Judicial District.
Its Easy

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Jun 23, 2011
Southest Shooter wrote:
So Santa Fe is helping itself out, Our Las Crucen is looking at the entire state. VETO the whole amount !~!
PORK
Then unemployment..... WHAT A JOKE
TAX THE WORKING TO PAY FOR THE UNEMPLOYED......
NOPE
KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, and KEEP MAking us proud !~!
She could have (veto), but didn't, this is about constitutional power, not money. Do try to pay attention.
El Desmadroso

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Jun 23, 2011
Judi wrote:
Gov Martinez- you need to fire your staff for giving you such BAD advise. It isnot fair to the citizens of New Mexico.
Martinez should have known the definition of the word veto (to delete) which doesn't mean to modify or edit. It's not her staff's fault she is ignorant and incompetent of doing her job. I predicted this outcome when the story first appeared regarding the impending lawsuits and I continue to say that she will lose the 2nd lawsuit as well...
El Desmadroso

Albuquerque, NM

#15 Jun 23, 2011
Yeah I Got an Opinion wrote:
Yes, it is from his blog. Joe is a former journalist and former press secretary for congressman Manuel Lujan, a Republican.
Here is the link:
http://joemonahansnewmexico.blogspot.com/
Simple copy & paste, you are such a rip off. You should have given this Lujan credit at least. Sucks not being able to have your own opinion..
El Desmadroso

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jun 23, 2011
The question of the day is: Where are all those Susana Martinez supporters at?? Where you at?? You're usually very loud spoken during other forums... come out, come out, wherever you are.
Comment Albuquerque

Hobbs, NM

#18 Jun 23, 2011
El Desmadroso wrote:
The question of the day is: Where are all those Susana Martinez supporters at?? Where you at?? You're usually very loud spoken during other forums... come out, come out, wherever you are.
In a line-item veto, Martinez invalidated the $150,000 appropriation by the Legislature. Instead,
((she penciled in a lesser amount that she preferred -$50,000.))
Two "Senators" and two members of the House of Representatives then sued Martinez

Hmmm It sounds like two New Mexico "Senators" and two New Mexico House Representatives, were caught ripping off New Mexico taxpayers.

Gov. Martinez caught them with their corrupt hands in the states money.
What

Santa Fe, NM

#19 Jun 23, 2011
Comment Albuquerque wrote:
<quoted text>
In a line-item veto, Martinez invalidated the $150,000 appropriation by the Legislature. Instead,
((she penciled in a lesser amount that she preferred -$50,000.))
Two "Senators" and two members of the House of Representatives then sued Martinez
Hmmm It sounds like two New Mexico "Senators" and two New Mexico House Representatives, were caught ripping off New Mexico taxpayers.
Gov. Martinez caught them with their corrupt hands in the states money.
is with all the spam? Especially the absurd assertion that some senators were ripping off the state.
El Desmadroso

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Jun 23, 2011
Comment Albuquerque wrote:
<quoted text>
In a line-item veto, Martinez invalidated the $150,000 appropriation by the Legislature. Instead,
((she penciled in a lesser amount that she preferred -$50,000.))
Two "Senators" and two members of the House of Representatives then sued Martinez
Hmmm It sounds like two New Mexico "Senators" and two New Mexico House Representatives, were caught ripping off New Mexico taxpayers.
Gov. Martinez caught them with their corrupt hands in the states money.
The definition of line-item veto, according to Merriam-Webster, is as follows: "The power of a president, governor, or other elected executive to reject individual provisions of a bill". The keyword here is REJECT which is not equivalent to modify, edit, or substitute. If she would have simply looked the word up in any dictionary, she would've not got herself sued and made herself look like a jackass. According to the NM Supreme Court, she is the corrupt one for abusing of a power that she doesn't possess as governor. Next time, you or any Susana supporter, respond to my comments, please show more intelligence in doing so...
Curious From Arizona

Tucson, AZ

#21 Jun 23, 2011
Comment Albuquerque wrote:
<quoted text>
In a line-item veto, Martinez invalidated the $150,000 appropriation by the Legislature. Instead,
((she penciled in a lesser amount that she preferred -$50,000.))
Two "Senators" and two members of the House of Representatives then sued Martinez
Hmmm It sounds like two New Mexico "Senators" and two New Mexico House Representatives, were caught ripping off New Mexico taxpayers.
Gov. Martinez caught them with their corrupt hands in the states money.
What an absolutely absurd statement, if you can call it that.

The appropriation she slashed was for the Public Housing Program. How could any intelligent person make a connection for public housing to legislators having their "corrupt hands in the states (sic) money"?

Never mind - the comment isn't worth explaining to some dimwitted individuals. Is everyone in Hobbs uneducated, or just blindly loyal and stupid to reality?

"Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D."

Since: Sep 08

Rio Rancho, NM

#22 Jun 23, 2011
Anyone with the reading ability of an 8th grader would have been able to foretell this judgement was the only constitutional decision possible.

Whether of not Monahan is correct with his statement that earlier Governors had gotten away with a partial veto he damn sure is correct when he said: "When she lost, she lost a negotiating tool for herself and all future Governors."

El Desmadroso: You are expecting the impossible if you think: " Next time, you or any Susana supporter, respond to my comments, please show more intelligence in doing so" will ever happen.
Curious From Arizona

Tucson, AZ

#23 Jun 23, 2011
Isn't it interesting that all the NM newspapers and bloggers reported on the Supreme Court's decision which slapped down Martinez for yet a third time, except NMPolitics.net ?

Is Heath showing a little bias and partisanship toward his favorite Republican?

I would bet my last dollar that if the Supreme Court ruled against Richardson (or any other Democrat) for a third time, his story would have had Third World War size headlines.

Impartial reporting? You be the judge.

"Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
School board candidate defends high school game... Feb 3 Customer 1
Parents arrested for kids' truancy (Mar '11) Jan '15 GOPeee 24
Review: Complete Fire Protection Jan '15 advert 2
Beastality should be legal Dec '14 humanandanimalequ... 2
Review: The Loak Shop Dec '14 karuna jaya 1
Review: Main Street Muscle & Fitness Center (Apr '14) Nov '14 Customer 11
Seven D Saddlery (May '09) Oct '14 Barin 23

Winter Storm Warning for Valencia County was issued at February 27 at 2:56AM MST

Belen Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Belen People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:39 pm PST

NFL 5:39PM
Peyton Manning, Broncos working on contract
Yahoo! Sports 6:15 PM
AP source: Manning, Broncos talking about reworking contract
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Breaking Down Broncos' Options at DT in 2015
Bleacher Report11:49 AM
Buzz: Manning Expected to Push for Julius' Return
Bleacher Report10:03 PM
Can Osweiler Be the Broncos' Heir to Manning?