Advocate for fathers sues over child ...

Advocate for fathers sues over child support

There are 27 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Dec 10, 2007, titled Advocate for fathers sues over child support. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

The founder of a group called Dads Against Discrimination has challenged New Mexico's child support guidelines after his wife recently sought a divorce.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tiffany Session

Baltimore, MD

#21 Aug 9, 2010
My name is Tiffany McIntosh-Session and I am emailing you to find out information pertaining to Scott Countyís Fatherís Rights law or lack of. My husband is a resident of Scott County and a proud member of the armed forces. We are in search for information on how to contact our council member in order to find out the basis for deficiency of the accountability of mothers in regards to TANF and Child support. My husband has 2 children in the Scott County child support system and on numerous occasions, we went to the court house to invoke his RIGHT as a father to visitation. We were told on those occasions that your county doesnít have paperwork for men to petition the courts for a hearing in regards to visitation or acknowledgment of paternity to gain visitation. This is absurd! Why is it that men who pay child support donít have the right to see their children without paying thousands of dollars to get an attorney? Or the other stipulation is that both parents have to agree to mediation. So what I want to know is if both parents agree to have that child, why is it fair that one has the determining say so in whether or not the other parent can see their child? What if the mother decides she doesnít want to participate in mediation for the best interest of the child? Why is it that women can petition the court for child support and choose not to show up as many times as they please for the hearings and when they do finally show up, the men are penalized for the back child support and it is placed on their credit? Why canít fathers put themselves on child support to prevent things like this from happening? These are all the questions we have asked in which your county has no answers to. It seems to me that your county is stuck in the twilight zone as there are many other counties that donít operate this way. A man should have the right to not only just pay child support but have visitation established through the court in the same way child support is. Not all fathers are dead beat fathers. There are many men who feel they have no voice. It isnít right and I am just trying to get in touch with the countyís local councilman, alderman, supervisor, or county executive in order figure out ways that Scott County can operate in what is in the best interests for families not just mothers.
Jennifer

Albuquerque, NM

#22 Aug 15, 2010
The next thing I think should be addressed is when a man pays child support and then finds out through DNA that the kid is not his! The man, who is doing the right thing, should get his money back! It's Bull that the courts to him, to bad so sad
Citizen

Albuquerque, NM

#23 Aug 20, 2010
locked up. Then in Nov. she tested positive during a random drug test at her place of employment at NM Tech. Well after these two occurances, she decided to file a report against him which was served to him on Dec. 16 which states that he is not to have any contact with his son until his court date on January 9, 2008. All he is trying to do is be able to visit with his son. He has fallen behind on his child support payments since Oct due to lay off from his job, but everytime he visited his son I was there to help him out. Which brings me to another subject. Since June until Sept. he was giving her money orders instead of paying through the state child support. Will he get credit for the money order payments? Plus the court order states $285/month but her attorney crossed off the amount and wrote $360/month which is what he was making the money orders for. One last note. This lady also gets child support from her older
cooper

Albuquerque, NM

#24 Aug 29, 2010
I think the courts and laws need to relevate to today's needs and society. Men and women both share a load while providing for their children in todays world. All to often we revert back to prehistoric ideas where women are seen as a victim in all divorce cases and not bear any finiancial support necessary for raising a child in todays' economy. Single women can and have effectively raised children while working, so if a women is able to work not willing this should be taken in consideration and if she is unwilling then the child should go to someone who is willing to provide all.
About time
Albuquerque, NM
Corry

El Monte, CA

#25 Dec 28, 2012
Need help with my kids mother & her mother both getting child support out of my paycheck....sos
Corry

El Monte, CA

#26 Dec 28, 2012
Corry wrote:
Need help with my kids mother & her mother both getting child support out of my paycheck....sos
Corrystokes @yahoo.com
interesting

Albuquerque, NM

#27 Dec 28, 2012
Broken Down Father wrote:
I recently had a child with a woman I dated for just eight months. The day she told me she was pregnant I asked her to marry me. She turned me down stating "we are just too different". She then moved out the following day. I tried for months to reconcile and was denied every time. She retained an attorney that showed her how to use the current NM Child Support Guidelines to her advantage and now I have to pay $1500 every month to a woman I was never even married to!!! I make a modest income and because of this unfair judgement I will never be able to get ahead financially. The sytem is broken!!! A message to all men: Take every possible precaution you can to avoid getting pregnant with someone until after you have been married for at least three years. Nothing is worth this kind of agony.
I know a few in your same situation.

A few words of wisdom before you keep having fun.

get fixed

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News After son's murder, Albuquerque woman turns to ... Jan 28 Valaquera 4
News Escape locks down Los Lunas prison (Apr '08) Jan 11 Peter R 34
News New Mexico green chile growers want new guest w... Sep '15 Gorden 19
Review: Main Street Muscle & Fitness Center (Apr '14) Sep '15 To good 14
Susanne K. Stephenson vs her mother Aug '15 Enter Username 1
News New Mexicans say they dished out world's longes... Aug '15 Fundiementally ill 2
News Belen residents balk at websitea s slam on city (Jul '15) Jul '15 Number One 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Belen Mortgages