NM public education secretary nominee Skandera's qualifications questioned (4:33 p.m.)

Republican Gov. Susana Martinez's nominee for public education secretary, Hanna Skandera, faces questions in the Legislature over whether she meets constitutional requirements for the job. Full Story
No Way

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Feb 21, 2011
Skandara is not an educator, anymore than the LCPS Finance Director or Human Resource Directors are educators. She is a policy-wonk, a politician, and an administrator, and is good at making spreadsheets tell the story her political masters want them to tell, NOT, sadly, helping children learn.

Just Google her history in Florida--if you want a Texas-style "teach mindlessly to the test, rig the scores, then claim success" Department of Education, she's the perfect candidate.

These Republicans--they get in office pretending all they want to do is tighten up fiscally, when what they really want is to break down the social order as we know it.
juswondering

Bozeman, MT

#2 Feb 21, 2011
Jennings is a real work of art if he thinks a governor has the right to appoint and it be rubber stamped regardless of constitutional criteria.

Maybe he should lose his job if he is this much of a toady.

You can not expect someone whom has spent her life in law to understand it can you?
brushybill

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Feb 21, 2011
My gawd. Can't Oh Susana get anything right? How many screw-ups can she accomplish in her first 90 days? Skandera is an administrative goon. We don't need her. Send her back to her "think tank" of choice.
IVote in Nava Dist

Las Cruces, NM

#4 Feb 21, 2011
brushybill wrote:
My gawd. Can't Oh Susana get anything right? How many screw-ups can she accomplish in her first 90 days? Skandera is an administrative goon. We don't need her. Send her back to her "think tank" of choice.
Well Senator Nava better not let Skandera be confirmed as Ed Secretary.
Send her home

Las Cruces, NM

#5 Feb 21, 2011
We don't need any more clowns in state government. We already have Susana Martinez, our clown-in-chief.

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Feb 21, 2011
"She worked for Catholic Charities in California in 1993-1998 on an abstinence-only sex education programs for students in grades 6-12." Part of the big con job!

Looking over her resume it is apparent even though she is just a political hack, she can't keep a job and never hangs around long enough to be held accountable for a damn thing.

Since: Nov 10

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Feb 21, 2011
The Governor won the election. Many teachers in Las Cruces voted for her. Elections have consequences. Ask a Wisconsin educator. As a teacher who has seen the rapid decline of public schools at the hands of the Bush era "No Child Left Behind" insanity, I didn't think it could get worse. I was wrong. Florida's A+ Plan has come to New Mexico. God help us all.
Michael L Hays

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Feb 21, 2011
I invite commentators to read my column "Critical Thinking about Public Education in New Mexico" on NMPolitics.net . Type in my last name on the search (upper right) window. I have some strong opinions on Skandera's real purposes and the threat which Martinez's nominee poses to education in New Mexico.
Michael L Hays

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Feb 21, 2011
After all the pre-election talk about people being out of touch with people and their issues, Martinez's appointment of Skandera as Secretary of Education is highly suspect. She has neither classroom nor administrative experience in a public school anywhere in her short job tenures everywhere. She is always the policy staffer implementing the policies of politicians opposed to public education. Given her political leanings and her career aspiration, she does not want to improve public education, and she lacks the professional competence to do so even if she wanted to.
writer

United States

#10 Feb 21, 2011
To the winner go the spoils???

the state constitution also includes a provision for providing a bilingual education to all students, but that is also being ignored/set aside to pass NCLB rules-whatever happened to state's rights???

I'm not endorsing anything, simply stating that government follows rules only when convenient, clearly shown by Jenning's remark.
dcd21

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Feb 21, 2011
Michael L Hays wrote:
I invite commentators to read my column "Critical Thinking about Public Education in New Mexico" on NMPolitics.net . Type in my last name on the search (upper right) window. I have some strong opinions on Skandera's real purposes and the threat which Martinez's nominee poses to education in New Mexico.
Mr Hayes do you feel Skandera will get confirmed you seem to have a good pulse on things...
Teacher

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Feb 21, 2011
"Educator" should be defined as those with sufficient teaching experience. It is a different world in the classroom and we need someone who has been there to understand student needs and has a clear idea of our day to day life. I believe we should stick to someone who's been there.
never

Rio Rancho, NM

#13 Feb 21, 2011
So she has never been a regular public teacher in a regular public classroom? lol
brushybill

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Feb 21, 2011
never wrote:
So she has never been a regular public teacher in a regular public classroom? lol
So the LAW says she must have that experience to be PED secretary. Let's see if all the sticklers for the LAW wish to see Gov. Martinez brush aside the LAW to appoint a darling of the Rio Grande Foundation think-tank. Why is it important? Someone who wrote the LAW said the candidate must have some experience in that capacity. That's why. She's a political hack, not an educator. The fact that she isnt even the confirmed secretary hasnt kept Skandera from spending $160,000 of your tax money to hire some consultant friends to "advise" her. I smell a rat. A Florida rat.
Ryan Showers

Santa Fe, NM

#15 Feb 21, 2011
Typical...Just what we should expect from a CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVE REGIME...Putting the CRONIES in PLACE!
The sad part

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Feb 22, 2011
Sonia Diaz one more time...
Armitage Shanks

Santa Fe, NM

#17 Feb 22, 2011
Michael Sanchez said she "seems to have a grasp" on educational policy.

Wow! That alone makes her uniquely qualified as a GOP nominee. She almost knows what she's talking about. Very encouraging.

Of course, circumventing the state Constitution is no big deal to republicans as long as their agenda can stay intact.
Epic

Santa Fe, NM

#18 Feb 22, 2011
Ms. Skandera is obviously qualified to lead the Department of Education.

New Mexico's NEA lobby and their Democrat legislature lapdogs are in serious dereliction of duty.

New Mexico's public schools are 49th, and you don't get points for a moral victory in not being 50th.

The teachers and school systems need to do a better job, and reformers are required to make the fixes; including fixing the unions which have destroyed our public schools and fleeced the budget for too many years.

More charter schools would be a good place to start; vouchers for private schools for exceptional students, and vocational training at the secondary school level. Not every student should go to college, trades and services need workers without a college degree.

Since: Sep 08

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Feb 22, 2011
Epic wrote:
Ms. Skandera is obviously qualified to lead the Department of Education....
And you know that how? Hell she's never held a job for more than 2 years! I learned 40 years ago that was a big red flag: Stay one jump a head of ever being held accountable &/or fired.
Epic

Santa Fe, NM

#20 Feb 22, 2011
PlacitasRoy wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know that how? Hell she's never held a job for more than 2 years! I learned 40 years ago that was a big red flag: Stay one jump a head of ever being held accountable &/or fired.
Well Roy-

Pepperdine Adjunct Professor; and Research Fellow at Hoover are good enough for me.

The fact that she also worked in sex ed in California in primary and secondary education is a bonus.

The fact that she is politically astute helps the State, since their are a lot of Democrat hogs and legacy programs to slaughter.

The responsible people have to take over from the Democrat failures of the last 80 years in this state.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
School board candidate defends high school game... Feb 3 Customer 1
Parents arrested for kids' truancy (Mar '11) Jan '15 GOPeee 24
Review: Complete Fire Protection Jan '15 advert 2
Beastality should be legal Dec '14 humanandanimalequ... 2
Review: The Loak Shop Dec '14 karuna jaya 1
Review: Main Street Muscle & Fitness Center (Apr '14) Nov '14 Customer 11
Seven D Saddlery (May '09) Oct '14 Barin 23
Belen Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Belen People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:02 pm PST

ESPN 2:02PM
Instead of payday, Dockett cut by Cardinals
Yahoo! Sports 2:29 PM
Cardinals cut veteran DT Dockett
Bleacher Report 4:06 PM
Cards Release of Dockett a Necessary Evil for 2015
NFL 4:53 PM
Julius Thomas to leave Broncos for Jaguars or Raiders?
Bleacher Report 6:19 PM
How Should Broncos Fill Their Biggest Holes?