Tuition freeze possible for lottery s...

Tuition freeze possible for lottery scholarships

There are 18 comments on the Las Cruces Sun-News story from Feb 10, 2011, titled Tuition freeze possible for lottery scholarships. In it, Las Cruces Sun-News reports that:

A lottery-financed college scholarship program is running out of money, and lawmakers are looking for a fix that won't hamper efforts to encourage young New Mexicans to attend universities and colleges in the state.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Las Cruces Sun-News.

Unfunded student

Muskegon, MI

#1 Feb 10, 2011
Thats crap! That's not right for the rest us who don't recieve the scholarship. For those of us that have to pay for college, it will create a much heavier financial burden.
Todd

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Feb 10, 2011
As a former GA at NMSU, the tuition rise is not worth it. The value is not there.
Wecc

Las Cruces, NM

#3 Feb 10, 2011
Unfunded student wrote:
Thats crap! That's not right for the rest us who don't recieve the scholarship. For those of us that have to pay for college, it will create a much heavier financial burden.
Might explain why you didn't get the lotto scholarship first before mouthing off....That way we won't judge you as one of those whinners who think they deserve hand outs. Oh by the way, there is several hundred million dollars worth of scholarships that are never given out, might look into that. And here is a trick to getting enough of those scholarships to pay for all your college. Sit down and start applying to every scholarship you can find, doesn't matter if you qualify for it or not, just apply. Apply to no less then a 1,000 scholarships, bets are you will get enough to more then pay for college. Yeah it takes an effort on your part, but what the hell what do you have to lose??? Get busy...
paul

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Feb 10, 2011
It's fine for Sanchez and Jennings (senate) to sponsor a bill,so there are 68,000 in school but you don't give,in numbers,how many finish.Instead you give % which don't mean nothing.
joe bob

Florence, AL

#6 Feb 10, 2011
I agree with Payne. A lot of students waste the money provided by the lottery scholarship because they drop out after 1 or 2 semesters, after deciding college isn't for them. They either need to allow potential students to take time off to grow up before attending college, or not pay for their first 1 or 2 semesters and see if they continue their education. I personally think that everyone should join, at their own will, the military to give them time to grow up. Two or four years of service would do most of our kids good.
leonard

Las Cruces, NM

#7 Feb 10, 2011
Don't we have parents that care anymore.
My 2 cents

Las Cruces, NM

#8 Feb 10, 2011
I think it may be a mistake to allow for the option of time off after high school simply because the chances of kid returning to school drops dramatically when they do. There are undoubtedly some kids who need to do some growing up before they start college, but they need to be addressed on a case by case basis. I also disagree with the person that says that 15 hours is too tough when you have a job too. I worked my way through college and got 3 degrees. It took me nearly 8 years but I did it. I found that it was easier for me to stay on task and not waste time when my class load was heavier. I worked hard during my undergraduate years and got an internship my second semester of my graduate career. This internship paid full tuition, books, and provided me with a job for which I also got college credit. It was not an easy internship to get but it was well worth the effort. My kid attends college and even though she qualified for the lottery scholarship she didn't need it because she worked her heart out and got other scholarships that cover all of her expenses. She returned the lottery scholarship money which presumably was passed on to someone else. College is tough and part of the reason I value my education is because I had to work for it. Some majors are more demanding than others so the system is inherently unfair, that is simply the way it is. It comes down to how much the student wants the education and how much they are willing to sacrifice. One thing that can be said is that once you have your education it can't be taken away from you even if it does mean that you are paying back student loans for it. Not everyone is suited for college and not all occupations require it. There is nothing wrong with someone wanting a life without college if they can support themselves and be a productive and contributing member of society. We need people in all walks of life to make for a rich community. An honest days work is a noble endeavor regardless of your occupation or if you own the company. I need a dentist, mechanic, doctor, florist, grocer, teacher, pastor, mail man, trash collector, and entertainer in my life. Not all of them require degrees, but they all need to be able to do their respective jobs. In short, give the opportunity to as many as possible, those that seize the day and do their best will succeed and those that don't will find something else to do.
Lolwut

Las Cruces, NM

#9 Feb 10, 2011
I hope all your republican students who voted for Susana Martinez are happy :D
Alfonso Celaya

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Feb 10, 2011
Don't worry, Gov. Martinez doesn't really give a rip about the Lottery Scholarships.

She wants to continue cutting all New Mexico programs to enhance her image with her fellow travelers, the Tea Bagger crowd.

Martinez envisions being on the Sarah Palin ticket in 2012, so her focus is totally on making that happen.

Meanwhile, the wealthy Texan contributors with ties to both New Mexico Gas Company and El Paso Electric continue to run the show behind the scenes.
A smart Democrat

Las Cruces, NM

#11 Feb 10, 2011
The solution is quite simple, put a tax on the NM lottery winnings at 95% and take that money and put it back into the scholarship fund.
SaggnNinnies

Fort Smith, AR

#12 Feb 10, 2011
The Ninnies you have sucked on are dry.
Cato

Las Cruces, NM

#13 Feb 10, 2011
Unfunded Student is right; the proposal simply puts a greater burden on students who don't get the lottery scholarship or are in 5-year programs.

This is not enough money to make a real difference in the quality or affordability of education in New Mexico.

If the legislature were serious about making higher education affordable, they would abolish the tuition tax credit.

This device is used to balance the state budget by telling higher ed to up their tuition by a certain percentage on top of whatever the universities and colleges were planning to meet their cost increases. The result is even higher tuition and a complete inability to do long-term financial planning for the higher ed institutions in the state.
Unfunded student

Muskegon, MI

#14 Feb 10, 2011
Wecc wrote:
<quoted text>
Might explain why you didn't get the lotto scholarship first before mouthing off....That way we won't judge you as one of those whinners who think they deserve hand outs. Oh by the way, there is several hundred million dollars worth of scholarships that are never given out, might look into that. And here is a trick to getting enough of those scholarships to pay for all your college. Sit down and start applying to every scholarship you can find, doesn't matter if you qualify for it or not, just apply. Apply to no less then a 1,000 scholarships, bets are you will get enough to more then pay for college. Yeah it takes an effort on your part, but what the hell what do you have to lose??? Get busy...
I am one of those few who actually have decided to pay for college instead of begging for handouts. I am NOT a welfare junky.
fools knowledge

Salt Lake City, UT

#15 Feb 10, 2011
It's all about money,$$$$, and there just is no more. It's done, over, gone...finished. The Education System is broken and money (or more money) isn't going to help. Fix the System. I would like to say just "copy" the way the Catholic Schools are run and that would be a vast improvement. But say the word "Catholic" and people come unglued. All I say is look at the facts. Catholic schools, while not perfect, work. what you have not doesn't. Notice the Catholic Schools can buy there own book, teach what they want, no "Administrators" "Lawyers" "ACLU"..what they do have is a "parent" willing to pay big bucks to see their child, be he,she or it, Catholic or not, a good education. They do, your public Schools don't. Fact, After about the 6th grade, Public Schools in America are just "Day Care Centers for Teenagers".
NMSUgrad09

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Feb 10, 2011
Unfunded student wrote:
<quoted text>
I am one of those few who actually have decided to pay for college instead of begging for handouts. I am NOT a welfare junky.
Scholarships are not "begging for handouts", Unfunded...Yes, there are those out there that are solely based on financial need but many are based strictly on academic merit alone, or a combination of academic merit and financial need. The application requirements and applications alone can be quite extensive and EARNING many of the available scholarships are a far cry from getting a "handout". I am guessing you would know this if you had ever tried to put your energies into putting together an application packet instead of crying about how you're "unfunded" and how unfair that is. I am guessing you have probably spent so much time crying about it that you probably don't have the grades to EARN a scholarship anyways. Good luck though.
NMSU Second Time student

United States

#17 Feb 10, 2011
I am undergraduate student who is attending NMSU for the second time. I attend college right after high school, but after 3 semesters I goofed off which resulted in my loss of the lottery scholarship. My parents offered to pay for me to keep going, but I chose to leave since I didn't want to waste their money. I did fine for myself working as a Certified Pharmacy Technician for 3 years while I took the time to grow and realize what I really want to do with my life. I started back at NMSU a year ago by taking out reasonable student loans to pay for college since I only had a 2.4 GPA. I do receive a tribal scholarship since I am Native American and I feel thankful to back at NMSU. The only issue I have with this idea is that how can you ask those of us who take the responisiblity to pay or find funding through scholarships/grants to pay more than the students who receive this one scholarship. Its insulting to think a lottery scholarship student who attends NMSU to receive the same education that I do is only sitting there because these senators think I should pick the difference in their tution cost. The world is not fair and life is only going to become harder as states keep overspending the budget. But why make it harder for those of us who learned how rough the real world is and chose to come back not only to better myself, but also to receive the education I need to help my community. Why don't they freeze the amount the lottery will pay and leave it up to those students to find other funding options to make up the difference? As stated earlier there a lot of resources out there for all of us to use.
test

Las Cruces, NM

#18 Feb 11, 2011
test
Funded Student and Proud

Las Cruces, NM

#19 Feb 11, 2011
1) Raise the GPA standards for the lottery scholarship. Really, a 2.5 is pathetic. Minimally it should be a 3.0, but 3.5 would be better.
2) Allow students 'unsure' if college is for them to opt out of the scholarship.
3) Make students who receive scholarship but drop out repay every penny of what they took.
I'm a Junior with a cumulative 4.0 (Crimson Scholar) at NMSU, and for 5 semesters now, I have depended on the NM Lottery scholarship. My whole academic career, I have worked extremely hard to earn every scholarship I have, including the lottery scholarship. If I no longer have the lottery money, my cost of education will effectively double (regardless of actual tuition increases). I have a part time job, I'm applying for several huge internships, and I'm also dealing with several serious medical issues. On top of that, I apply for every scholarship I can find, every single semester. If you are like Unfunded, then I have no sympathy for you. Scholarships aren't handouts. They are how people with motivation and work ethic but who aren't eligible for need based scholarships pay for college. I get all of $0.00 from FAFSA and student loans, and yet I still have to pay for room, board, food, tuition and fees. That means I have to be independently wealthy (which I'm not) or I have to depend on my grades to earn scholarships like the NM Lottery one. Forget about the whiners who couldn't even earn the lottery scholarship and are looking for free handouts. What about the 20,000 students like me who actually work hard and earn what they get? Why should we be punished financially because whiners made bad choices that got them in their current situation? Honestly, if they freeze those funds, I may not be able to afford college anymore. Is that fair? Why do we take away the most from the students with the brightest futures? No wonder NM is almost dead last in education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Prisoner in Los Lunas dies, cause to be determined (Jan '13) Dec 18 Mazie320 3
News Convicted stalker running for Pearce's seat as ... Dec '17 Wayoutthere 8
Starbucks in Los Lunas "Warning about a Golddig... (Jan '17) Dec '17 Stacy B 14
stephenchannings Nov '17 channing sanders 1
News Piedra gets 5 1/2 years (Mar '11) Oct '17 PullDaCovers 45
News Los Lunas homes showing foundation problems (Jan '08) Sep '17 HRresident 197
Child molestor ALERT Aug '17 The more you know 1

Belen Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Belen Mortgages