Moving from Central NY to Shreveport

Posted in the Belcher Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
relocating

Watertown, NY

#1 May 18, 2012
I'm from Central New York and in a few months I'm looking to move to Shreveport. What should I know about the area.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#2 May 18, 2012
You have my condolences and my sympathy.

What you should know is, make Shreveport a pit stop on your way to a major metro area. Once you get out of here, never look back, assuming you can get out. This town is like a black hole.
FriendofDog

United States

#3 May 19, 2012
Are you in the military? If you are, you'll be okay here in town. My two biggest reasons I would not want to ever move back to Shreveport is that it a city where the majority are blacks and I hate the hot muggy weather. Shreveport will always be home to me, but I'm glad I don't live there any longer.
relocating

United States

#4 May 19, 2012
i am not in the military, and there is a large population of blacks where i live, so im used to it. im not racist at all. im only 21 and looking forward to the experience.
FriendofDog

Greeneville, TN

#5 May 20, 2012
Then you should be happy here... the people are friendly. the food is great... lots to do... Good luck with your move.
GoDog

Bossier City, LA

#6 May 21, 2012
The blacks are destroying Shreveport. Stay in Bossier. Never go west of I-49. Lots of Rednecks too.
GoDog

Bossier City, LA

#7 May 21, 2012
relocating wrote:
i am not in the military, and there is a large population of blacks where i live, so im used to it. im not racist at all. im only 21 and looking forward to the experience.
U will b when u leave. The out of town Blacks understand.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Location hidden

#8 May 21, 2012
So now you have a taste of the racial tension here. The above comments are light compared to what you'll hear in person when you arrive in Shreveport.

This town is a cesspool of hate and bigotry. You are not going to enjoy yourself here unless you happen to be religious. Then, maybe you will adapt, but even then, the people here are going to treat you like an outsider.

If you've seen the movie Straw Dogs, that should give you some idea of what you should expect. You're a northerner and the people here will never let you live it down.

You need to decide now if you plan on moving to Dallas, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, or perhaps even Austin or Houston. You're in for a major culture shock. Shreveport should be seen as a pit stop.
Susan

Bossier City, LA

#9 May 21, 2012
Don't be discouraged by the comments about different ethnic groups in our area. Not all Southerners have the same views or attitudes. That being said I would agree that Bossier is a better and probably safer place to live. But not because of the black people..there is just as much white trash doing meth/drugs and committing crimes in the South as there are blacks. There are also a lot of nice people here working hard and raising their families. Also, being from New York you will probably enjoy the southern culture. Don't let a few narrow minded, ignorant people spoil your stay. And as far as you being a Northerner? Welcome...we will not be rude to you..now that would be ridiculous.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Location hidden

#10 May 22, 2012
Susan wrote:
Don't be discouraged by the comments about different ethnic groups in our area. Not all Southerners have the same views or attitudes. That being said I would agree that Bossier is a better and probably safer place to live. But not because of the black people..there is just as much white trash doing meth/drugs and committing crimes in the South as there are blacks. There are also a lot of nice people here working hard and raising their families. Also, being from New York you will probably enjoy the southern culture. Don't let a few narrow minded, ignorant people spoil your stay. And as far as you being a Northerner? Welcome...we will not be rude to you..now that would be ridiculous.
Susan has apparently never experienced being a northerner here. The funny look we get just for not having an accent is just the tip of the iceberg. Beyond that, people will purposefully exclude you from their plans and coworkers will intentionally badmouth the North just to goad you. It never stops. People here are still fighting the Civil War in their minds.

The chance that you would ever run into Susan in public is slim. The chance that Susan would ever stand up for you around fellow southerners is even more remote. The narrow minded ones will win out every time. It's a herd mentality that coerces even the most accepting people here to keep quiet. The people here will most certainly be rude to you. It is just that ridiculous.

Assimilate or be admonished. I've put up with this crap on Topix for a while now, but in person, I've endured the southern "hospitality" for a number of years. I may be a tad abrasive here on Topix and that may indeed cause people around here to react poorly, but my understanding of this area and my opinion of this area is not just imagined. The reason I post on here is because an alternate viewpoint is never proposed, nor do they want to hear it.

Just look at the thread on wanting a Whole Foods in this town. The outside world is apparently Shreveport's enemy. It doesn't have to be a Whole Foods, either. Any outside involvement is deemed interference and an intrusion, again, as if they are still fighting the damn Civil War.
Susan

Bossier City, LA

#11 May 23, 2012
Actually Waveform, Susan is a medical professional at our largest hospital here and not only works with Northerners, but with physicians from many other countries, not just different regions of the US. I work in a melting pot of many cultures and differences. In our workplace nor our social network would we treat anyone from another culture, region, or country badly. Once again, that is for the narrow and small minds. We are all very interested in learning about the differences culturally while we find so many similarities as humans. And the chance that one would run into me in public is actually quite high..seeing that I, as well as many of my co-workers and involved in many community efforts to help others and make our town a better place. Maybe you should try it..it's quite rewarding and you may lose some of your prejudice and cynicism.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Location hidden

#12 May 23, 2012
Susan wrote:
Actually Waveform, Susan is a medical professional at our largest hospital here and not only works with Northerners, but with physicians from many other countries, not just different regions of the US. I work in a melting pot of many cultures and differences. In our workplace nor our social network would we treat anyone from another culture, region, or country badly. Once again, that is for the narrow and small minds. We are all very interested in learning about the differences culturally while we find so many similarities as humans. And the chance that one would run into me in public is actually quite high..seeing that I, as well as many of my co-workers and involved in many community efforts to help others and make our town a better place. Maybe you should try it..it's quite rewarding and you may lose some of your prejudice and cynicism.
If you work in our local medical community, then you are most certainly around the same people I interact with on a daily basis. These people do in fact dredge up flagrant disdain for the North, so I would encourage you to step away from your comfort zone and beyond the water cooler to a more involved area of the hospital.

From the lab staff to the couriers, the southern hate is alive and well. You're either ignoring it or you limit yourself to a very small group of coworkers.

I cannot lift off your blinders, so despite your own personal views on other cultures, you are not the norm and you are oblivious to the very obvious and open anti-North sentiment present among the staff at your place of employment. Visit a barber shop. Visit the grocery store. Visit a park. Hell, sit in the waiting room at any clinic in the area. How about a tire shop? Maybe you can sit and listen to some mechanics blabber on and on about northerners or people who live on the East and West Coast. Oh yes, this crap is in plain sight.

Maybe you're deaf. All I know is, you aren't paying any attention to the reality that is Shreveport.

My prejudice is an outward reflection of the way I have been treated here. I call a spade a spade. I am not imagining any of these comments. When someone treats me like shit, I react negatively, as would most anyone else. When I am judged for where I come from or how I talk, I react as a cynic about the South because the way I and other northerners have been treated is down right appalling.

“Bye bye, Topix. ”

Location hidden

#13 May 23, 2012
Susan wrote:
with physicians from many other countries, not just different regions of the US
Don't even get me started on the comments I hear about physicians from other countries. If you only knew. Not only do the patients in the hospital talk about them poorly, but its a problem amongst caucasian physicians, as well as in hospital administration.

You really aren't paying attention...or perhaps you're not white, so the race-based "buddy system" doesn't apply to you. When you're caucasian in this city, other white people are a little less guarded about their opinions because they think they are amongst friendly ears.

But of course, the Indian vs Pakistani thing is quite common, too, no matter where you live. I suspect you've never heard someone utter the term "Paki," either. That too is a word only uttered amongst "friendly" company, just like the N word.
Diver

Houston, TX

#14 Jun 1, 2012
Wow i can't wait to move to Sherevport. i live in lafayette now and it was a culture shock to me when i moved from Hawaii. I got use to it. I know it's different up there but all i want to know is where is a safe place to live. I have heard Boiser City. How far away is that from Shreveport? We are moving in a month. Ya there are blacks, white trash, you name it. Were from San Diego so we are use to it. But at the same time want a nice community to live in and not worry. We don't have much time to go up and look around so any help is much appriceated. Please don't go on a rant about what a pit it is i've lived in la for 6 years. Trust me i know. I'm going from coonass to redneck but would love to get an answer not a bunch of people who just want to bitch. Thanks
Coonass transplant

Shreveport, LA

#15 Jun 1, 2012
Diver wrote:
Wow i can't wait to move to Sherevport. i live in lafayette now and it was a culture shock to me when i moved from Hawaii. I got use to it. I know it's different up there but all i want to know is where is a safe place to live. I have heard Boiser City. How far away is that from Shreveport? We are moving in a month. Ya there are blacks, white trash, you name it. Were from San Diego so we are use to it. But at the same time want a nice community to live in and not worry. We don't have much time to go up and look around so any help is much appriceated. Please don't go on a rant about what a pit it is i've lived in la for 6 years. Trust me i know. I'm going from coonass to redneck but would love to get an answer not a bunch of people who just want to bitch. Thanks
Going from coonass to redneck will make you bitch. Just warm up your bitching gloves and buy a bitching hat. It'll happen. It's unavoidable.

Bossier City is "safe" because the cops are a bunch of hard asses. They crack down on crime over there, but they also go over the top. I can't think of one area around here that is really safe. Haughton is kinda safe. The SPD is just crooked. The only area I'd want to live in around Shreveport is over off of Youree somewhere, but the crime is just a part of life here.
ladybugc

Shreveport, LA

#16 Jun 1, 2012
Diver wrote:
Haughton is a great place.(Or lots of places around Bossier City) We moved away from Shreveport about 30 years ago for the Bossier Parish schools. And to be around more of the people we flock together with, if you know what I mean. In every race, most will flock to their own when it comes down to it. If you treat me right, I'll alwys treat you right. Don't hate me for what my forefathers did before I was even born. Nuff said! Well, maybe, I am a woman after all.
Ho Lee Schitt

Haughton, LA

#17 Jun 1, 2012
Diver wrote:
South East Shreveport is fine, look around the 71115 area and you won't have any problems.

Since: Jun 12

United States

#18 Jun 1, 2012
As far as where is Bossier City ? It is on the other side of the Red River it separates the two cities, google them on a map and you can see your mileage differences. Many people drive an average of 15 to 30 min to work I would guess. Haughton is east of Bossier. Hope this helps a bit.
Questions and Answers

Dallas, TX

#19 Jun 3, 2012
There are some very depressed areas in Shreveport, no doubt. Poverty is all about in some of the neighborhoods where drugs and prostititutes are on every corner. Its really sad, nothing to be sarcastic about, for sure.
New Yorker

United States

#20 Jun 9, 2012
Like Susan I work at one of the area's largest hospitals. I agree with her comments and have never experienced the issues raised by others. I moved here 19 years ago from NY. I've lived in Bossier, Haughton, Shreveport, Desoto, and Blanchard, LA and now this born and bred city girl sure loves her acres of land. The cost of living is reasonable, the people are friendly, the running and tri communities are outstanding, and Shreveport tries for culture and entertainment with an opera, symphony, repertory theater, museums, gardens, music venues, etc. Is it perfect? No, but where is? Perhaps the best advice is to be a good neighbor and friend, get involved in the community, and enjoy your experience no matter where you land. I've lived in big cities and small towns both in the US and Europe. I'll always be a New Yorker at heart but Shreveport is where I chose to raise my family. It's been a good decision. Hope you enjoy it also!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Belcher Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Taryn blair Jan 5 Tav 1
Organized Stalking By Freemason Cops/Fireman an... (Jan '11) Jan 1 Tammye Henderson ... 40
Mary the Levite , NOT from Tribe of JUDAH (May '13) Dec 25 Michael Robinson 6
Dentist that accept medicaid Dec '17 zanefrazier86 1
News Shreveport police shoot 34-year-old man (Apr '07) Dec '17 Kimyatta 72
FEMA camps (May '16) May '16 Glo 1
News La. Farm Bureau honors 2013 Young Farmers and R... (Sep '13) Sep '13 John 1

Belcher Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Belcher Mortgages