Is Bel Air Still Safe?

Is Bel Air Still Safe?

There are 16 comments on the Patch.com story from Jul 18, 2011, titled Is Bel Air Still Safe?. In it, Patch.com reports that:

Did Saturday's Exxon shooting A change your opinion of Bel Air , or do you still feel safe? On Bel Air Patch's Facebook page , some Harford County residents said the town is "out of control." Others blamed recent crime on Edgewood, which offended some readers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Patch.com.

cppdee

Greenbrier, AR

#1 Aug 9, 2011
I'm offended. I own a home in a great neighborhood in Edgewood. You ever consider the fact that there are so many recovery houses with addicts getting thrown out on the street everyday in Bel Air. There's crime going on everywhere. Granted, Bel Air hasn't had many murders, but it's a new generation coming out. I worked in a rehabilitation center for addicts & there are so many drugs in Bel Air, parents should be talking & protecting their kids. Where there are drugs, there is crime. I've heard so many stories about how easy it is to steal in Bel Air to get drugs from past work experience, everyone should keep there guard up all the time. It's 2011 & it gets more dangerous every day.
I live in Edgewood & I know not to go out at night. It's simple. I have a child and the only crime I've noticed in the last 21 months since I moved from Bel Air to Edgewood, is domestic violence. Edgewood is not as bad as people think. There's a great deal of diversity which is great for any community. Living in pricey Bel Air, it's all white. I'm white & fit in just fine in Edgewood.
As far as that murder, y'all need to take responsibility as a community. Edgewood is not perfect, but who do you Bel Air folks think you are, blaming another city for a problem that's growing in your community, crime.

Thank you.
Proud Edgewood Resident

Abingdon, MD

#2 Aug 15, 2011
I am also an Edgewood resident and very proud of it! I live in a great community and would not live anywhere else! Stop putting blame on Edgewood for everything and look inside your own community!
Crime is Everywhere

Bel Air, MD

#4 Aug 21, 2011
Edgewood is a nice community. The problem is that there is one pocket of crime in Edgewood behind the Route 40 shopping center that ruins it for everyone. Bel Air is no different, most of the crime is committed by people living in one particular area. Aberdeen is the same. There is a common theme to all of it.
Just Wondering

Parkville, MD

#5 Aug 22, 2011
If Edgewood, Aberdeen, and Bel Air have nice parts then why does Bel Air get a good rep while we get trashed? I realize that there are problems in our community (Edgewood), but our government has created these problems. They have shut down government housing in Balto City and Essex and have brought those problems here...Thanks to our wonderful government for moving these problems to us and degrading our community even more.
Crime is Everywhere

Bel Air, MD

#6 Aug 22, 2011
One great example of why no one in H.C. should ever be in favor of any mass transit coming to the County. Ask the good people of Timonium, Hunt Valley and Ferndale and Linthicum what happens when you get mass transit.
Just Wondering

Parkville, MD

#7 Aug 24, 2011
Crime is Everywhere wrote:
One great example of why no one in H.C. should ever be in favor of any mass transit coming to the County. Ask the good people of Timonium, Hunt Valley and Ferndale and Linthicum what happens when you get mass transit.
I totally agree!

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#8 Sep 1, 2011
I'm confused. You live in a "great neighborhood" but eschew going out at night? Why is that? Either it's a great neighborhood or it isn't. Time of day shouldn't matter.
cppdee wrote:
I'm offended. I own a home in a great neighborhood in Edgewood. You ever consider the fact that there are so many recovery houses with addicts getting thrown out on the street everyday in Bel Air. There's crime going on everywhere. Granted, Bel Air hasn't had many murders, but it's a new generation coming out. I worked in a rehabilitation center for addicts & there are so many drugs in Bel Air, parents should be talking & protecting their kids. Where there are drugs, there is crime. I've heard so many stories about how easy it is to steal in Bel Air to get drugs from past work experience, everyone should keep there guard up all the time. It's 2011 & it gets more dangerous every day.
I live in Edgewood & I know not to go out at night. It's simple. I have a child and the only crime I've noticed in the last 21 months since I moved from Bel Air to Edgewood, is domestic violence. Edgewood is not as bad as people think. There's a great deal of diversity which is great for any community. Living in pricey Bel Air, it's all white. I'm white & fit in just fine in Edgewood.
As far as that murder, y'all need to take responsibility as a community. Edgewood is not perfect, but who do you Bel Air folks think you are, blaming another city for a problem that's growing in your community, crime.
Thank you.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#9 Sep 6, 2011
Bulky Nantuck wrote:
<quoted text>I'm confused. You live in a "great neighborhood" but eschew going out at night? Why is that? Either it's a great neighborhood or it isn't. Time of day shouldn't matter.
My neighborhood is great, all day long. I go out at night when needed, but if I know there's a certain neighborhood that's known for being bad, I'm not going for a joy ride to those neighborhoods. My neighborhood happens to be across the street from a bad area.
The point was Bel Air blaming Edgewood & whatever crime we have here affecting their community. I love Edgewood & shall be here a long long time.
HAPPY

Troy, MI

#10 Sep 6, 2011
I think there are bad areas in any town, big or small. I have lived in Edgewood for 8 years now, and am so tired of it getting a bad rep because of certain areas. I happen to live past the school towards Flying Point Park, and my family loves it here. It is quiet back here, never seem to have any problems. No area is without its problems, but just tired of us Edgewood folks getting a bad name all the time. And, I go out day or night. Only thing I am afraid of is that big 'ole pit bull down the street that keeps getting on the chain.
Arthur Brisbane

Herndon, VA

#11 Sep 30, 2011
Bel Air stopped being safe when Rte 24 was completed, granting free access to Bel Air from those communities east of Rte 40 and from the city via I-95 (in the old days the only exits were at either 22 or 152). Same thing happened to Timonium when the light rail came to town.
jtowne

Abingdon, MD

#12 Oct 17, 2011
If Bel Air is so safe why does it have the longest list in the Aegis Crime Blotter?
jtowne

Abingdon, MD

#13 Oct 17, 2011
If Fallston is so wonderful why is their high school nicknamed Heroin High?
Kids in Jtowne might smoke pot, but kids up north are dying from oxycotin OD's.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#14 Oct 18, 2011
Wow, gotta update my thoughts on Edgewood. I was the victim of an armed robbery last week. Starting to think this town ain't so great. Everyone is right, crime is everywhere, but I'm finding it a little too close to home. Everyone loves their towns until some personal criminal act happens to you. I have a young child, & the sad part is, this happened in broad daylight. Thank God my son was in school. Anyways, I think everyone, no matter where you live, should learn how to protect yourselves in the event of a crime happening to you. That's what I'm working on now. Thanks.
BelAir boy

Severna Park, MD

#15 Aug 19, 2015
I 'believe all Edgewood people are bad because i live in Bel air and we have a lot of thefts and drugs going on recently its not just Joppatowne,Aberdeen or Edgewood because recently Bel Airs inner city and the southern part of Bel air has been having a lot of problems recently with drugs,assault,theft,and burglary.
BelAir boy

Severna Park, MD

#16 Aug 19, 2015
I 'believe all Edgewood people are not bad because i live in Bel air and we have a lot of thefts and drugs going on recently its not just Joppatowne,Aberdeen or Edgewood because recently Bel Airs inner city and the southern part of Bel air has been having a lot of problems recently with drugs,assault,theft,and burglary.
Theo

Hyattsville, MD

#17 Feb 7, 2016
The only reason I am living in Bel Air is because I believe the public schools are pretry good. Otherwise, if my kids weren't living with me, I would definitely consider living in Edgewood or Aberdeen. I believe those areas are safe enough to live in. No disrespect intended for the schools in Edgewood or Aberdeen. I did not go to school there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bel Air Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Nine charged with distributing heroin in Harfor... 18 hr noobieR 1
do not buy from jones junction used cars (Jul '12) Apr 18 Bill Bob 103
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Maryland (... (Oct '10) Mar 30 Bill Grimes-Wyatt 20
What happened to my favorite restaurant Scottos? Mar '17 drewber 5
News Bel Air veterinarian, Harford Farm Fair co-foun... Feb '17 jim fielder 1
The Sad Bel Air Police Department (Jan '07) Jan '17 natureboy 288
Auto Showcase of Bel Air SCAM ARTIST CROOKS Dec '16 NicEl 1

Bel Air Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bel Air Mortgages