White Earth, state fight over taxes

White Earth, state fight over taxes

There are 16 comments on the DL Online story from May 7, 2006, titled White Earth, state fight over taxes. In it, DL Online reports that:

Mahnomen County and the state of Minnesota are fighting an effort by the White Earth Band of Chippewa to remove the Shooting Star Casino from tax rolls.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at DL Online.

Red Road Women

Brainerd, MN

#1 Jun 19, 2006
When is enough - enough? Leave us alone, your governement made the rules and is still "reaping the benefits" while our people continue to suffer the greatest injustices from health to housing to religion to social economic, etc......!
jim-r

Ada, MN

#2 Jul 27, 2006
Red Road Women wrote:
When is enough - enough? Leave us alone, your governement made the rules and is still "reaping the benefits" while our people continue to suffer the greatest injustices from health to housing to religion to social economic, etc......!
Well if the casino was doing what it was supposed to you would have a job and would be making a living and would not need support. Give up the what happend in the past crap, cause it is just that! The PAST!
King - White Earth

Waubun, MN

#3 Sep 1, 2008
Jim-r is an ignorant white guy, that doesn't understand "a law is a law" and his white buddies made the law. Just because Mahnomen county broke the law and finally got caught doesn't mean they get to keep the money and we are not talking about the past. We are talking present.
Marian

Naytahwaush, MN

#4 Oct 14, 2008
I agree with "King" who in the hell is Jim? solway??? are you an enrolled member of White Earth. you don't know what we are going threw.. we shouldn't have to pay all that bull!!! THIS OUR LAND and always was!!
Torcia

Detroit Lakes, MN

#5 Oct 19, 2008
How about this. White Earth keeps all the money made at the casino and the State/Fed Gov keeps all the tax dollars that they currently give the tribe. Cant have it both ways.
oh boy

Brooks, MN

#6 Oct 20, 2008
red road women: what "injustices" are you referring to when you state "health, housing, religion, social economic"? white earth tribal council has provided any tribal member a house or apartment upon request (provided you aren't a felon dealing drugs) and the last i recall, white earth also has a new medical clinic that is free to tribal members. since when has anyone in the last 100 years on this rez suffered any religious injustice that you mention? and, social-economic injustices? really? try staying sober and holding down a job. try using condoms so that there aren't unwed children being born that need to be cared for until you're ready to care for one.
king: what law, specifically, did mahnomen county break? why should anyone in this day and age get free living? we should all be paying our fair share and pulling our own weight. that is, unless laziness is a tribal right, which i am sure it is not. i know and respect lots of hard working people of all colors, races and religions and it seems to me that there are people that want to do nothing with their lives except to expect the u.s. goverment to carry their butts around.
marian: huh? if history serves me correctly, the lakota were here in minnesota before the ojibwe were and a war forced the lakota west (17th century sound familiar?). so, whose land is it, really?
yea, the past is the past, it sucked no doubt. there is no one alive that this directly affects today. that excuse of our and theirs is an old one that is a worn out crutch when someone is looking for a little sympathy because he or she can't do things for him or herself. don't like the "white man's government"? then, go to the tribe's and see how well you get treated there and stop complaining about how "bad" you got it. apparently, it's pretty good considering you are using the internet and are able to type. this is the 21st century folks, we all have to get along on this planet: we should all stop drawing lines and help each other rather than tear each other down and making this a racial issue when clearly it is a social issue.
meeka

Moorhead, MN

#7 Nov 3, 2008
oh boy wrote:
red road women: what "injustices" are you referring to when you state "health, housing, religion, social economic"? white earth tribal council has provided any tribal member a house or apartment upon request (provided you aren't a felon dealing drugs) and the last i recall, white earth also has a new medical clinic that is free to tribal members. since when has anyone in the last 100 years on this rez suffered any religious injustice that you mention? and, social-economic injustices? really? try staying sober and holding down a job. try using condoms so that there aren't unwed children being born that need to be cared for until you're ready to care for one.
king: what law, specifically, did mahnomen county break? why should anyone in this day and age get free living? we should all be paying our fair share and pulling our own weight. that is, unless laziness is a tribal right, which i am sure it is not. i know and respect lots of hard working people of all colors, races and religions and it seems to me that there are people that want to do nothing with their lives except to expect the u.s. goverment to carry their butts around.
marian: huh? if history serves me correctly, the lakota were here in minnesota before the ojibwe were and a war forced the lakota west (17th century sound familiar?). so, whose land is it, really?
yea, the past is the past, it sucked no doubt. there is no one alive that this directly affects today. that excuse of our and theirs is an old one that is a worn out crutch when someone is looking for a little sympathy because he or she can't do things for him or herself. don't like the "white man's government"? then, go to the tribe's and see how well you get treated there and stop complaining about how "bad" you got it. apparently, it's pretty good considering you are using the internet and are able to type. this is the 21st century folks, we all have to get along on this planet: we should all stop drawing lines and help each other rather than tear each other down and making this a racial issue when clearly it is a social issue.
i really give you kudos i mean i lived on the rez my whole 16 years of living and i have no sympathy for anyone of the people on the rez sure life sucks and we hate the white man but god damn people be sick of them accusing us of being criminals and feed off the government and its not right and life aint fair and all this injustice or whatever but a majority of us dont know how to behave and are on drugs if your so damn sick of hearing that kind of stuff then change and prove them wrong yall just been contradicting yourself for all these years for your kids sake straighten up becuse children learn from example its just an un ending cycle thats pure B.S if were so strong then pove it then damn...... but the whole property tax thing thats f'd up doe i admit but damn get ahold of yourselves
Lucky7

Bagley, MN

#8 Apr 16, 2009
Well now that's one battle WON with the casino not having to pay state taxes. Mahnomen is run by white council member who reap in millions from when we did pay taxes!! What did they do with the money they sure didn't fix any roads or the store fronts... Mahnomen still looks like a town from the 1900's..AND just wait we still have issues with CLOUDED LAND can't wait to se how this goes I just hope it don't take as long as the Black Hills. Get over it we are over it now. We are fixing the past wrongs from the past it was peoples ignorace that we need to get by to proceed and fix what should be we should have no CLOUDED land. It's not even a issue as to what's on the land it's yours take it but the land is ours and we will not let it go you put a bulidings or farms on it tke it with you we don't want your things we want our LAND OUR LAND.
rezrat

Jefferson City, MO

#9 Oct 21, 2009
jim-r wrote:
<quoted text> Well if the casino was doing what it was supposed to you would have a job and would be making a living and would not need support. Give up the what happend in the past crap, cause it is just that! The PAST!
the bible is the past too, why not give that up too then,,ho wha,,
rezrat

Jefferson City, MO

#10 Oct 21, 2009
jim-r do you think that the bible is the past? then if you do then give that up,,,you devil,,
rezrat

Jefferson City, MO

#11 Oct 21, 2009
Torcia wrote:
How about this. White Earth keeps all the money made at the casino and the State/Fed Gov keeps all the tax dollars that they currently give the tribe. Cant have it both ways.
how about if you pay for all the land that you took from us natives,,,, or go back home,,, on some boat,, boat people suck,,
Menosed

Bemidji, MN

#12 Dec 21, 2009
If you read and understood the way that federal law was supposed to function before state and county officials decided to take advantage of Indian people by paying off a corrupt reservation Indian agent you would realize that neither the state or county governments should have ever had the right to set up within reservation boundaries. Any taxes collected by county and state offices should be repaid with interest from the state and county.

Furthermore, Mahnomen county was offered payment in lieu of taxes for services that the reservation uses, but they refused the payment. Now they get nothing.

I also think that WELSA funds should be used to purchase every little bit of land that is for sale in Mahnomen, Clearwater, and Becker counties in order to make heavier the tax burden that is placed on all non-indians that live in those counties.

The non-indian people living in those counties could have chosen to live anywhere else in the state of Minnesota or the United States, but they chose to live on an Indian reservation.
anonymous

United States

#13 Dec 23, 2009
I'm sure these white people are well aware of historical traumas and the history that created them. I have no sympathy for any white person who whines and moans about native grievences. To assume that the past is the past is foolish. examine your privilege. Every time I hear about so called "reverse racism" on the reservation I love it. You got a hard time from indians? Good, go to one of the many places in america where you don't have to deal with us and shut up. We need more white flight in W.E. Now some of you see how we live and just simply don't have the intestinal fortitude to handle it.
but of course we choose to be savages. When I wake up I tell myself to act up even more than I did yesterday.
Menosed

Bemidji, MN

#14 Jan 8, 2010
"choosing to be savages" is nothing but ignorant self oppression.
native all the way

Cloquet, MN

#15 Jul 13, 2010
Keep fighting White Earth! you deserve it, look how Fond du Lac got screwed out of millions by the city of Duluth! the revenue that came from the Fond du Luth Casino is gone! where did all that money go to fix roads? SOme crooked politician has a money bag hidden somewhere in Duluth!! haven't you heard about the new white wine? We want a Casino TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
state run casinos

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Feb 20, 2012
it is over, state run casinos are on the way, you can have yours and we will build ours - enjoy the competition.
King - White Earth wrote:
Jim-r is an ignorant white guy, that doesn't understand "a law is a law" and his white buddies made the law. Just because Mahnomen county broke the law and finally got caught doesn't mean they get to keep the money and we are not talking about the past. We are talking present.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bejou Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
kentucky girl loves fosston! (Sep '08) Jun '17 NHalvy 10
News Callaway Liquor Store takes advantage of tribal... (Feb '09) Apr '17 Wilbur 5
Nurse from White Earth IHS gave a false name to... (Jun '09) Feb '17 sarah adams 15
News Native Mob Gang Member Sentenced to Nine Years ... (Nov '06) Apr '16 USA USA usa 487
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Nov '10 DJ 4
mahnomen police department (Jul '06) Jul '08 gettin jiggy with it 34

Bejou Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Bejou Mortgages