Pataskala's divide between farmland, suburban homes exposed | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 6 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from May 30, 2011, titled Pataskala's divide between farmland, suburban homes exposed | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Weeds and poison ivy are a fact of life on John Hohmann's 217-acre farm. The same soon could be true of $100 daily fines for not keeping them tamed, if the City Council approves a proposed ordinance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

changer

Columbus, OH

#1 May 30, 2011
I can't say for sure ... But it would look to me like the city govt wants several things-
(and this is very common in rapidly growing suburban townships)

* they want to force the farms to sell to developers; raising their taxes and imposing housing association type rules is the means to do it.
* they want the tax revenue from single family homes and commercial development which probably pays much more than farms.
* they want the tax revenue expand govt / expand the schools / raise the salaries of city govt workers.

what's really odd is how this could possibly be achieved given the recession, gas prices (keeping people closer to 270), etc.
Duh

Sunbury, OH

#2 May 30, 2011
changer wrote:
I can't say for sure ... But it would look to me like the city govt wants several things-
(and this is very common in rapidly growing suburban townships)
* they want to force the farms to sell to developers; raising their taxes and imposing housing association type rules is the means to do it.
* they want the tax revenue from single family homes and commercial development which probably pays much more than farms.
* they want the tax revenue expand govt / expand the schools / raise the salaries of city govt workers.
what's really odd is how this could possibly be achieved given the recession, gas prices (keeping people closer to 270), etc.
Glad you can't "say for sure" because you're wrong. While you are reading YOUR "hidden agenda" into this article, it isn't true. Pataskala has very diverse types of properties; and the only thing out of this article is that they want to enforce some standards to get people to take care of their property but are acknowledging that it's hard to pass some standards that will be fair to both suburban property owners and those who own farm or rural land. So stop imaging there's some "evil force" at work, trying to force farmers to sell, etc. and go turn your ignorant spotlight somewhere else and try to spread some more falsehoods somewhere else. We don't need yours.

“aggrivated editor”

Since: Apr 11

Newark

#3 May 30, 2011
high grass is one thing, but junk cars and how garbage is dealt with? that's got nothing to do with whether u live on a farm or not.
john endicott

Jackson, OH

#4 May 30, 2011
im so glad i dont live in pataskala anymore
Fact

Mount Vernon, OH

#5 May 31, 2011
Redhardegrl got it right! It is indeed one thing to address high grass but more must be done on junk cars and residents that live like they don't have neighbors. Take a look a couple glaring examples on Main St (SR310)and Broad Street (SR 16)and you will see property in such poorly kept cponditions that EVERYONE in Pataskala should be demanding more be done. Shame, shame, shame!
eddie

Mansfield, OH

#6 Jun 2, 2011
pataskala is not newalbany,this just another ploy to generate revenue.they say they wanta nicer lookin area, well they better look at the road's and the little speed trap's they have. trash and junk car's is one thing,but to tell someone to keep thier lawn all nice and tidy is another.sound's to me like pataskala is trien to become a new albany city,or perhp's a little nazi germany. and they wonder why so many of us vote no on so many issue's.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beechwood Trails Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Former HR officer gets three years in prison (Oct '11) Fri NO SIR 45
News Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions (Jun '06) Apr 26 wes 2,760
News Ex-pastor gets 6 years in sex case | The Columb... (Feb '11) Apr 19 Confused 31
The TRUTH as to why we have no Pastor at Safe H... (Sep '10) Apr 14 Family Is Forever 84
News Powell man guilty of income-tax fraud | The Col... (Jan '10) Apr 14 Predatory Lender 32
News Johnson Rubber says it won't close (Feb '08) Apr 5 Wentworth 26
Looking for Tanner Lycans Apr '15 Much Smarter Than... 1
More from around the web

Beechwood Trails People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]