Why does everyone from the south seem...

Why does everyone from the south seem to hate everyone from the north??

Posted in the Beech Mountain Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Northern Star

Lenoir, NC

#1 Mar 25, 2011
We like you guys?? What gives?:)
Dixie

Lenoir, NC

#2 Apr 29, 2011
Because you weren't born here!!! And this is NOT a free country where people can just move to what ever town, city or state they want to that's why!! Oh wait, YES it is!!!!!!!
Hahaha
Nicole

Brandon, MS

#3 Jun 24, 2011
We don't 'hate' you...and it's the same aspect with people in the south. We all think you hate us; all of my friends and I do, anyway. It's just a drastic change from Southern hospitality to Northern everyday life. I've been to Washington, New York, and New Hampshire ...and that's the only northern places I've been. See, down here, it's natural to make small talk to people in elevators or on sidewalks and such. I found out that in the north, if you talk to people in elevators, they could get you arrested. Either that or the guy just really hated me. So what may be considered normal to the north is rude to the south...because we're so used to smiling and saying hey to every person we see. We also get a lot of crap about stereotypes. Some people from the north (Mostly California..if that really counts as northern) just try to tell me off. Since I'm from Mississippi, I must be an uneducated bum with no teeth or shoes who sits out on a porch all day playing a banjo. Since we get stuff like this, we just, as a society decided "Well, okay fine. If they're going to be total dicks to us then....we'll hate them." It's just a matter of difference in region and cultural settings...rather than grudges. Unless you're one of those people who are still all pissed that we lost the civil war. The only reason the south is labeled as so poor and disgusting is because only the rich people could move up north back in the 1700-1800's. Only the poorest and uneducated people were left in the south. Obviously, we've cleaned up a lot more than what we were then. We're basically just the same as the north...but everyone I've talked to thinks they're going to get AIDS or something if they even get near southern ground. WE ARE NOT RODENTS, MAN. WE ARE EXACTLY LIKE YOU. But anyway, I'm off topic. Bottom line: we don't hate the north....most just feel intimidated by it because of those few arrogant people who keep putting southerners down.

....The end.:D
Northern star

Lenoir, NC

#4 Jun 25, 2011
Thank you,that does make sense. The culture is much different here. I love it here!! Up north people are just in a hurry all of the time!!! The pace is so much faster and I suppose it comes across as very rude. I apologies on behalf of my fellow northerners if you were treated badly. Since I've been here people are polite, but as soon as they hear my accent they asked where I am from and then I just feel they look at me like an outsider who should just go back to where I came from. Almost like I have no right to move down here. Im a homeowner and have lived here for 12 years and still feel unwelcome. Someone once told me to work on a southern accent so I don't stand out so much LOL!! Maybe it's time to give that a try ;)
Nicole

Clinton, MS

#5 Jun 30, 2011
Northern star wrote:
Thank you,that does make sense. The culture is much different here. I love it here!! Up north people are just in a hurry all of the time!!! The pace is so much faster and I suppose it comes across as very rude. I apologies on behalf of my fellow northerners if you were treated badly. Since I've been here people are polite, but as soon as they hear my accent they asked where I am from and then I just feel they look at me like an outsider who should just go back to where I came from. Almost like I have no right to move down here. Im a homeowner and have lived here for 12 years and still feel unwelcome. Someone once told me to work on a southern accent so I don't stand out so much LOL!! Maybe it's time to give that a try ;)
Believe it or not, most people here, from my age (14) to early 20's just do that accent on purpose. I don't know what state you live in, but I know that in Mississippi, it's kind of like a fashion trend to talk with a fake southern accent. Everyone here is capable of talking like normal people...they just think it's cute not to. I'm the same way. I've never talked with a southern accent, and for some odd reason, everyone thinks I'm from Canada.(I don't even know) But yeah....so, if people give you a weird look, it's not because they don't want you there, it's because we don't really get a lot of tourists or anything...so you're pretty foreign to us.
birchbass84

Johnson City, TN

#6 Jul 19, 2011
we dont hate northern ppl we just dont understand them down here everyone always makes small talk but the thing that gets me is how family's are so different in the south family's are close like i couldn't go more than a day not talking to mine and ive know ppl up north that the only time they see there family even moms, dads, brothers, and sisters is during the holidays i understand when living far apart comes into play but when you live in the same town and u cant make time 2 go see your own mom it makes me look at it if your family dont mean nothing 2 ya how does anything have any meaning to ya
Uncle Sam

Rome, NY

#7 Sep 4, 2011
The south will rise again! screw the north, raise the rebel flag!
chris

United States

#8 Nov 13, 2011
I live in Atlanta and hate it ,the ignorant hick's hate anyone who is not just like them and the black's are just the same.Do your self a favor and move to Fl or Ca where people don't have as many hangup's.The south is not normal.
Dmitry

Denver, CO

#9 Sep 4, 2012
I'm from the North, and it's weird going to the south because it seems warm and welcoming. Yet like everyone has to be in your business and that their opinions are the right ones. Other then that the south I think is swell.
northerner

AOL

#11 Feb 23, 2013
We moved to the south 7 years ago and I have grown to hate it here. It is mostly the people, their way of thinking, and this thing they do which is being so superficial!! At least in the north you know where you stand with people - here people 'act' so nice to your face and will stab you in the back the minute they can AND they want you to know that they did just that!! I am 60 years old and was born and raised in the north, whenever some would move to our area from the south, transfer in for a job or just visiting, I would never have even thought to say to them or slander them either to their face or to friends and family with a remark like, "you're a redneck aren't you?" or any other related remark concerning where they are from!!! You just do not have that kind of attitude going on in the north towards southerners but here in the south I have been called a yankee more than once, some try to slide it off as humor, but most of the time I would say it is done in a demeaning, hurtful way. So, yes I have grown to HATE it here, we moved here because we thought people were nice - they are only nice on the surface, then once you live here their true colors come out.
New Jersey

United States

#12 Jun 29, 2013
birchbass84 wrote:
we dont hate northern ppl we just dont understand them down here everyone always makes small talk but the thing that gets me is how family's are so different in the south family's are close like i couldn't go more than a day not talking to mine and ive know ppl up north that the only time they see there family even moms, dads, brothers, and sisters is during the holidays i understand when living far apart comes into play but when you live in the same town and u cant make time 2 go see your own mom it makes me look at it if your family dont mean nothing 2 ya how does anything have any meaning to ya
It's how we were raised. The closest family member to me is 1 hour away and the rest are in Delaware and Pennslyvania. It's not like we think family means nothing they do. We were just raised that way that you visit your family during holidays or birthdays.
anonymous

Birmingham, AL

#13 Sep 26, 2013
Ummmm, I've never hated northerners and im from the south... I don't really see why we have to argue about it... just because you don't like a place doesn't mean every person in it deserves your hatred that goes for both.. and both north and south should be ashamed of this stereotype. We are all human with our own personal opinions. Of course any one and everyone wants to believe that there opinions are the right one. You don't have to understand everyone and you cant base just a few things you hear about north or south people and then automatically say that everyone there must be like that. I don't know about you but I personally love the country that I live in and that includes all the people that live there.
Katelyn

North Tonawanda, NY

#14 Oct 18, 2013
my boyfriend's parent's hate the north cause they think everyone up here in the north are stupid, and cause it's cold. now the cold part I can understand but them thinking people up here are stupid I can't understand, it's just plane ignorant and even Jesus said to love people not to hate and they hate the north. I was born and raised in Florida and never hated the north just don't like the cold lol. and believe me some people in the south can be stupid as well, it's not just some of the northerners. I've met some pretty stupid people in Florida. I don't hate people at all.
BradleyRay

Versailles, KY

#15 Oct 19, 2013
northerner wrote:
We moved to the south 7 years ago and I have grown to hate it here. It is mostly the people, their way of thinking, and this thing they do which is being so superficial!! At least in the north you know where you stand with people - here people 'act' so nice to your face and will stab you in the back the minute they can AND they want you to know that they did just that!! I am 60 years old and was born and raised in the north, whenever some would move to our area from the south, transfer in for a job or just visiting, I would never have even thought to say to them or slander them either to their face or to friends and family with a remark like, "you're a redneck aren't you?" or any other related remark concerning where they are from!!! You just do not have that kind of attitude going on in the north towards southerners but here in the south I have been called a yankee more than once, some try to slide it off as humor, but most of the time I would say it is done in a demeaning, hurtful way. So, yes I have grown to HATE it here, we moved here because we thought people were nice - they are only nice on the surface, then once you live here their true colors come out.
You are exactly right my friend. Everyone is two faced here. Some ahole put nails in my freaking tires at work. I know who it was and they are all fake as hell. At least northerners tell you when they don't like you. Southern hospitality is a crock of $#/t! Unless u from roun hear ana u talka like dis alla da tyme and no one has pronounced the letter "y" since I moved here last year. Everyone uses an R Instead. Such dumbasses. Way too inbred for my taste. screw em all and the south got what it deserved in the civil war. A big embarrassing defeat that obviously no one has gotten over. I can't wait to move back so hopefully the stupidity doesn't rub off on me. Good riddance to bad company
annoymous

Asheville, NC

#16 Oct 27, 2013
well if everyone hates the south why do people keep coming here. i have seen rich people move from up north here to western NC build a house on top of a mountain. then say they hate it here and say this is a shit hole yet love the view from their house. people say we are uneducated yet as far as NC schools go WNC has some of the best schools in North Carolina. But wait i thought we were uneducated. as far as people saying we are are still segregated in towns and such we are not. yea it happens in big cities but name me a big city that dont have sides of town where mainly whites or blacks etc live. as far as racism goes it is everywhere in this country and it will never go away plain and simple. i am not racist myself i judge a person on there personality and moral vaules not the color of their skin. and what kills me the most is people from up north saying we cant speak english. WTF have you ever been to Jersey or NYC they have a northern accent just like we have a southern accent. read a book on accents and you might find out why alot of us talk like we do and say the sayings we say. if you think you cant understand what a southern is saying guess what chances are if your from up north we dont know jack shit what you are saying. i think a big reason people up north hate the south is we have more vibrant culture. and we want the simple things in life. some say that rock and roll originated in the south. look at southern rock. really tell me who dont like lynard skyrnard at least one song. if you walk in a bar you are probably gonna hear a southern rock of some sort in there. and im not talking about a nigh club. some of the first rap was made in the south. the blues, jazz. and we aint inbred you dumb fucks. all this coming from your run of the mill high school graduate southern born southern bred country white man. if you dont like it here go home and dont look back and keep your shitty opinion of us to your self learn some hospitality.
USC2001

United States

#17 Dec 29, 2013
I am a former Navy brat who has lived almost all my life in South Carolina. My wife is the same. As I have grown into (almost) middle age, I have come to realize how much I love it here in the greater Charleston area, sipping iced tea, devouring fried chicken or fried catfish and hush puppies, seeing the azaleas blooming in the spring, enjoying every minute of the pageantry that is college football in the fall, and most importantly, not shoveling snow in the winter. While this region has its faults as does any region, I am like a lot of people in that I just don't understand why people continue to move here and still run down the place. What ever happened to, When in Rome Do as the Romans Do? For all the negatives that I will acknowledge (rampant littering, substandard public schools, deteriorating roads), the positives have a far greater weight. While I do enjoy visiting the North and what it has to offer, I would much rather live my life in a place where I can look a total stranger in the eye, exchange warm smiles and greetings, and not be suspicious of each others' motives. Mighty fine, y'all.
USC2001

United States

#18 Dec 29, 2013
PS As to repeated charges of racism in the South, please give it a rest. We have grown up and let it go for the most part, so why don't y'all let go of your stereotype. The South is between 30% and 50% black depending on your location. We work together, go to the same schools, root for the same teams, and get along just fine, thank you very much. I think the difference is, we do agree and acknowledge that people are different (black, Latino, Asian, Jewish, gay, etc.), but we don't treat it as a big deal. You're my friend because of who you are, not what you are.
i love VA

Barrington, RI

#19 Jan 28, 2014
northerner wrote:
Oh because we are nice and say hi to people u hate us??? The people up in the north treat people from the south like their aliens.
i love VA

Barrington, RI

#20 Jan 28, 2014
Nicole wrote:
We don't 'hate' you...and it's the same aspect with people in the south. We all think you hate us; all of my friends and I do, anyway. It's just a drastic change from Southern hospitality to Northern everyday life. I've been to Washington, New York, and New Hampshire ...and that's the only northern places I've been. See, down here, it's natural to make small talk to people in elevators or on sidewalks and such. I found out that in the north, if you talk to people in elevators, they could get you arrested. Either that or the guy just really hated me. So what may be considered normal to the north is rude to the south...because we're so used to smiling and saying hey to every person we see. We also get a lot of crap about stereotypes. Some people from the north (Mostly California..if that really counts as northern) just try to tell me off. Since I'm from Mississippi, I must be an uneducated bum with no teeth or shoes who sits out on a porch all day playing a banjo. Since we get stuff like this, we just, as a society decided "Well, okay fine. If they're going to be total dicks to us then....we'll hate them." It's just a matter of difference in region and cultural settings...rather than grudges. Unless you're one of those people who are still all pissed that we lost the civil war. The only reason the south is labeled as so poor and disgusting is because only the rich people could move up north back in the 1700-1800's. Only the poorest and uneducated people were left in the south. Obviously, we've cleaned up a lot more than what we were then. We're basically just the same as the north...but everyone I've talked to thinks they're going to get AIDS or something if they even get near southern ground. WE ARE NOT RODENTS, MAN. WE ARE EXACTLY LIKE YOU. But anyway, I'm off topic. Bottom line: we don't hate the north....most just feel intimidated by it because of those few arrogant people who keep putting southerners down.
....The end.:D
genius
SouthSide for Life

West Columbia, SC

#21 Jun 19, 2014
I agree that the South is at peace with everyone I'm from the South born an raised from the south an always gonna be Down with all my Southern states I mean look at how our music has run the North World wide an as me listening to Rap music all the good music comes from the ATL and we all come from different states in the south and we go straight their ran record music an better yet our life style is different all the way around but the south an the north is just like white people and black people we won't ever be on the same terms no matter what we try so hard to become equal an unique one day that day will come and also the South an the Northern beef we always have just because we started in a ruff time but no matter what the north is going to always have a problem with use superior Southerners got a problem o we'll SouthSide for Life#.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beech Mountain Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scooter Jones Wed lol 16
Boone Town Wed North C 4
danny jones (Aug '11) Wed Same Here 6
Who is the biggest liar in the county? (Apr '16) Nov 14 justsaying 5
young cocky cops (Apr '12) Nov 9 Dude 11
Cranberry BINGO Oct 19 Joe 1
Jonathan Hinton Oct '17 Anonymous 3

Beech Mountain Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance