Florida Man Threatened With Prosecuti...

Florida Man Threatened With Prosecution For Registering Voters

Posted in the Beech Grove Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#3 Jul 14, 2012
Will it show up after post #3, lets see..lol.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#4 Jul 14, 2012
Here is post #1 that was posted at 11pm.

One can imagine his surprise, then, when soon thereafter he received a letter from the state supervisor of elections threatening him with prosecution.

The letter claimed Williams, president of the Okaloosa County NAACP, had run afoul of Florida’s new voter suppression law, which was passed by the Republican-controlled legislature last year. The law cut the state’s early voting period in half and enacted a host of new requirements on voter registration groups, including that they must turn in completed forms within 48 hours exactly or face a fine.(The 48-hour rule has since been blocked by a federal judge.)

After the rule was first put in place, the NAACP was the only group in Okaloosa County that braved the new pitfalls and continued to register voters. However, when they registered voters over MLK weekend, they were charged with submitting the forms an hour late on Tuesday, despite the fact that they were unable to submit forms on Monday because it was a holiday.

“We’re here the very first day that you’re open at 2 o’clock in the afternoon and you’re saying that we’re an hour late?” Williams asked.“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

He soon received a letter from the state supervisor of elections.“We appreciate you going out and registering voters,” the letter read.“However, you were late for two of those and if you’re late anymore we’re going to turn this over to the Florida Department of Justice for prosecution.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/07/13/5...

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#5 Jul 14, 2012
Here is post #2 that was posted at 11pm.

BTW, that new voter suppression law was passed by the Florida GOP.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#6 Jul 14, 2012
Something fishy going on at topix. My first 2 posts never showed up, notice the post counter. I see them but when I log out they are not there.

Topix censors I'm on to you..lol.

So much for the right wingers here that used to say Topix was biased to the left..lol.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#8 Jul 14, 2012
DIRTY S_O_B wrote:
<quoted text>yep, they are finally censoring what you goofy Libtards are posting.
Yea Topix!!
Did it work?..lol.

So you don't have a comment on the article where the guy was 1 hour late?..lol
Joe Momma

Paragould, AR

#9 Jul 14, 2012
District9 wrote:
Here is post #1 that was posted at 11pm.
One can imagine his surprise, then, when soon thereafter he received a letter from the state supervisor of elections threatening him with prosecution.
The letter claimed Williams, president of the Okaloosa County NAACP, had run afoul of Florida’s new voter suppression law, which was passed by the Republican-controlled legislature last year. The law cut the state’s early voting period in half and enacted a host of new requirements on voter registration groups, including that they must turn in completed forms within 48 hours exactly or face a fine.(The 48-hour rule has since been blocked by a federal judge.)
After the rule was first put in place, the NAACP was the only group in Okaloosa County that braved the new pitfalls and continued to register voters. However, when they registered voters over MLK weekend, they were charged with submitting the forms an hour late on Tuesday, despite the fact that they were unable to submit forms on Monday because it was a holiday.
“We’re here the very first day that you’re open at 2 o’clock in the afternoon and you’re saying that we’re an hour late?” Williams asked.“You’ve got to be kidding me.”
He soon received a letter from the state supervisor of elections.“We appreciate you going out and registering voters,” the letter read.“However, you were late for two of those and if you’re late anymore we’re going to turn this over to the Florida Department of Justice for prosecution.”
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/07/13/5...
what's the problem... you don't need a ID to vote...
Joe Momma

Paragould, AR

#10 Jul 14, 2012
let's not forget the black panther voting intimation

“Common Sense over Politics”

Since: Feb 09

Call me Cal.

#11 Jul 14, 2012
Think progress org????

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
guest

United States

#12 Jul 15, 2012
District9 wrote:
BTW, that new voter suppression law was passed by the Florida GOP.
Wrong. The law was passed by the Florida state Legislature which is comprised of duly elected Representatives and Senators and reflects the will of the people of Florida.

Why do you oppose the will of the people?

And why do you even care about election laws in Florida if you live in Arkansas?

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13 Jul 15, 2012
Joe Momma wrote:
<quoted text>
what's the problem... you don't need a ID to vote...
It wasn't about having an ID to vote.

You didn't read the article, it shows..lol.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14 Jul 15, 2012
Joe Momma wrote:
let's not forget the black panther voting intimation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =neGbKHyGuHUXX
Lets not forget they never stopped anyone from going in to vote.

What they did was wrong but they never stopped anyone from voting.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#15 Jul 15, 2012

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#16 Jul 15, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong. The law was passed by the Florida state Legislature which is comprised of duly elected Representatives and Senators and reflects the will of the people of Florida.
Why do you oppose the will of the people?
And why do you even care about election laws in Florida if you live in Arkansas?
So your ok with the Health Care Law being passed...unless your a Hypocrite?

The Florida law was passed by the GOP who have control of the Florida State Legislature. So yes, my comment is correct, it was passed by the Florida GOP.

Voter suppression is every every Patriotic Citizen's business. I guess we see how Patriotic you are..lol.

“The (R)ich Party Lies!”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#17 Jul 15, 2012
If you want to comment on a post you should at least READ the article so you know what you are making a comment about.
crazy people

Euless, TX

#18 Jul 15, 2012
With Florida voting problems, judges making laws and the states attorney more interested in high profile conviction for thier own gain. No wonder it is messed up down there.
DEMOCRAT

United States

#19 Jul 15, 2012
District9 wrote:
<quoted text>
So your ok with the Health Care Law being passed...unless your a Hypocrite?
The Florida law was passed by the GOP who have control of the Florida State Legislature. So yes, my comment is correct, it was passed by the Florida GOP.
Voter suppression is every every Patriotic Citizen's business. I guess we see how Patriotic you are..lol.
I think the republicans are mad because we register voters at goverment housing (slums), homeless shelters and drunks and crackheads off the street . They think the working people vote is being canceled out .
guest

United States

#20 Jul 16, 2012
District9 wrote:
So your ok with the Health Care Law being passed...unless your a Hypocrite?
I'm not a hypocrite, and I never claimed Obamacare was passed by the DNC. Your claim that the Florida law was passed by the GOP is a lie.
The Florida law was passed by the GOP who have control of the Florida State Legislature. So yes, my comment is correct, it was passed by the Florida GOP.
Complete and utter bullshit. The Florida GOP doesn't have a single vote in the Florida Legislature, nor does it have legal authority to pass any laws.

Again, the law in question was enacted by the Florida Legislature, not the GOP.
Voter suppression is every every Patriotic Citizen's business. I guess we see how Patriotic you are..lol.
What voter suppression? There is none. You haven't even read Florida's law and don't have a clue about what it states. All you're doing is what you always do - vomit up the leftist bullshit you mindlessly swallow. That's why I tell you that you're a retarded liberal idiot. You're too stupid to check the facts, choosing instead to be led by the nose like a dumbass.

The people of Florida, along with 36 other states, have decided that showing proper ID before voting is necessary to prevent voter fraud. If you don't like, TFB.
guest

Brooklyn, NY

#21 Jul 16, 2012
When someone says GOP they are talking about dumba$$ Republicans. But you knew that when you posted. You look like a fool.

D9, don't listen to the troll.
guest

United States

#22 Jul 16, 2012
guest wrote:
When someone says GOP they are talking about dumba$$ Republicans. But you knew that when you posted. You look like a fool.
D9, don't listen to the troll.
What dipshits like you and D9 refuse to acknowledge is that political parties have zero lawful power to enact any laws anywhere, including Florida.

It wasn't the Republican Party that passed the voter ID law, it was the duly elected state Representatives and Senators. They are the ones who have the lawful authority to legislate, and they are the ones who passed the law.

The state Legislature of Florida represents the will of the people of Florida, not the will of a political party.

Besides, why do you care about voter ID laws which have been enacted in 37 states? If you live here in Arkansas, election laws in other states are no concern of yours.

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#23 Jul 16, 2012
guest wrote:
<quoted text>
What dipshits like you and D9 refuse to acknowledge is that political parties have zero lawful power to enact any laws anywhere, including Florida.
It wasn't the Republican Party that passed the voter ID law, it was the duly elected state Representatives and Senators. They are the ones who have the lawful authority to legislate, and they are the ones who passed the law.
The state Legislature of Florida represents the will of the people of Florida, not the will of a political party.
Besides, why do you care about voter ID laws which have been enacted in 37 states? If you live here in Arkansas, election laws in other states are no concern of yours.
I guess you are forgetting that we are the UNITED States of America and while one might be more concerned with what happens on a local level, the national level is of importance to us all. Voter suppression in any state should matter to any person living in this country and since Florida is a key state in the election, this issue may matter even more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beech Grove Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Petition To End Topix ===> 5 min Rupert B Jigglebo... 7
NicePak work culture 7 min curious 6
Toni Trammel son-Payton Crabtree (Nov '13) 12 min guest 18
Planned Parenthood President Made 39 Visits To ... 21 min guest 3
Is the office bar finally closed? 23 min Guest 9
Shooting? 32 min Interesting 84
Pre-Season College Football Poll 33 min Rupert B Jigglebo... 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beech Grove Mortgages