Chambersburg Public Opinion - Quarry owner to donate tollhouse

The developer of a limestone quarry in St. Thomas has taken the first step toward donating a 189-year-old tollhouse to the Franklin County Historical Society-Kittochtinny. St. Full Story
West Franklin

Elliottsburg, PA

#1 Dec 26, 2007
A tourist attraction? Better come with an acre of ground! This house is about 4 feet from 60mph RT30 traffic! There is NO PARKING.(the parking behind the house floods and is requires going down a VERY steep grade)

Just Tony DePaul passing his obligation/burden on to someone else...

Nice there are some folks that are enthusiastic - but I dont see how you could turn that place into anything attractive. Looks like a money pit for Kittochtinny

Since: Dec 07

Chambersburg, PA

#2 Dec 26, 2007
West, it sounds like they're going to convert it and the article clearly states that this plan will include the land around the tollhouse.

Personally, I've passed it many times and thought of how interesting it would be to see inside it. I think it would be great if we could do this.

Don't be such a grump; if people aren't complaining about historic places not being cared for, then they're complaining about "money pits" and tax money used to preserve them.

Personally, I think historic places should be cared for and that includes your "unattractive" toll house which I think is a great piece of local history.

It predates the Lincoln Highway by 100 years! That would mean it's from the early 1800's. Don't you think that's worth preserving?
O Me2

York, PA

#3 Dec 26, 2007
Well I guess since this building does NOT appear to be on the list of National Historical locations, then the present owner should just tear it !!!!!!!!!

Chambersburg, PA

#4 Dec 26, 2007
"Known as the Chambersburg & Bedford Turnpike Co. Tollhouse No. 2, the small house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978."
O Me2

York, PA

#5 Dec 26, 2007
I stand corrected and could not locate anything when I searched. Thanks Coppy !!!!

But instead of donating it, I guess the owner could have just let it deteroriate and we could have placed the historical marked in top if the rubble pile for all to marvel at !!!

DePaul will never be able to do anything in this community without being chastised.
O Me2

York, PA

#6 Dec 26, 2007
WOW, I just re-read the article and can't believe I totally overlooked the "Known as the Chambersburg & Bedford Turnpike Co. Tollhouse No. 2, the small house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978."

I need a nap!!!!!!!!!!
Used to live there

Absecon, NJ

#7 Dec 26, 2007
Hi! I use to live in the toll house. It use to be rented. It was an ok place to live. The walls are sooo thick thta you could hear some traffice but not all of it and it has a spiral box stair case and the rooms are long and narrow. As for the commaent about flooding...we lived there two an a half years and never had our cars flooded!!
I think it has been empty since Mt Brook was selling all of their property but I am sure it still looks the same.
I was glad to see that it was getting preserved! We have some great memories in it!!

Chambersburg, PA

#8 Dec 26, 2007
Wow, that's awesome... you lived "in" the tollhouse? So what do you think, that it's a pretty good idea to turn it into a little museum? I think so.

And about DePaul; seriously. Give the guy a break, if for nothing else, this.
O Me2

York, PA

#9 Dec 26, 2007
Coppy,

I agree it should be preserved and support the idea.

My issue was the comment about DePaul passing the burden onto someone else. He could have very well done nothing and let it fall into disrepair, but he didn't.

The man will never get a break since he brought that nasty, nasty quarry in!

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Dec 26, 2007
Yeah, I was just supporting your comment as well O Me2. The new gripe about the quarry on the forums are an increase in the number of sink-holes in the are. But I argue that the St. Thomas residents have no one to blame but themselves and should do more to get their neighbors to clean up their yards.
Used to live there

Absecon, NJ

#11 Dec 26, 2007
To copay:
It is a great idea to turn it into a museum and let people tour it. You'd be amazed how cozy it is.
Depaul is never going to get a break around here.

At least he is doing some good instead of letting the property go!

Emlenton, PA

#12 Dec 26, 2007
West Franklin wrote:
A tourist attraction? Better come with an acre of ground! This house is about 4 feet from 60mph RT30 traffic! There is NO PARKING.(the parking behind the house floods and is requires going down a VERY steep grade)
Just Tony DePaul passing his obligation/burden on to someone else...
Nice there are some folks that are enthusiastic - but I dont see how you could turn that place into anything attractive. Looks like a money pit for Kittochtinny
none of this makes the old tollhouse any less historically important.

Depaul could just as easily bulldozed it.

“ONE LOVE...ONE HORSE”

Location hidden

#13 Dec 30, 2007
springhill wrote:
<quoted text>
none of this makes the old tollhouse any less historically important.
Depaul could just as easily bulldozed it.
Being on the National Register - I dont think he can...

Not saying its not important - its just not really very attractive - 3 ft from the road. I wish them the best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bedford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How can this be what has happen to PA Sep '14 Sweetjem 3
REVEALED: DA prosecuting kid for raunchy Jesus ... Sep '14 seatofpants 1
Pennsylvania Teenager Simulates Oral Sex With J... Sep '14 Ursabolt 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Bedford, PA (Jan '12) Aug '14 John Roberts 10
@BedfordPenn: Woman says Bedford County Pa DA B... (Dec '10) Aug '14 John Roberts 6
Troopers and DA (Mar '14) Jul '14 Janet 3
Old Citya s New Parisian Flower Shop/Wedding Fl... (Jun '14) Jun '14 AddySmith 1
Bedford Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bedford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Bedford News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Bedford

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:03 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:03PM