Books Every Man Must Read

Apr 24, 2012 Full story: everyguyed.com 38

Reading. Sadly, this is an activity that often falls by the wayside in our current cultural climate - since reading a computer screen doesn't count, not by a long-shot - despite the fact that it is perhaps one of the most satisfying things a man can spend his time doing.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Xer Recar Jr

Lithia Springs, GA

#1 Apr 24, 2012
Interesting. Not sure I could pick just five books to create such a list. I'm a big Walden fan but I don't know that it'd make my top five. The Prince for sure wouldn't.

I'd probably want to move Atlas Shrugged in somewhere. And I'd look for something lighter to balance things out - perhaps Hitchhiker's Guide. And I don't know if I wouldn't swap 1984 for A Brave New World - I'd have to read them again to fairly judge.

There should be something nonfictional in there, to boot. I'm thinking perhaps Shackleton's adventure would make a good representation of human spirit and man's 'endurance.'

And if we're created a list for MEN to read, shouldn't there be something from a female perspective - something that would at least attempt to solve one of our greatest mysteries - the feminine mind? Clueless on that one, a little help ladies? I confess that I did pick the Eat, Pray, Love book but I left the author stranded in India as I just couldn't bring myself to finish the book.

“Smokin' Hot'n'Feelin' Groovy”

Since: Apr 12

Here, There, and Everywhere,..

#2 Apr 24, 2012
Sex For One?
just me

United States

#3 Apr 24, 2012
Like it
A Recently New Parent

Jamaica, NY

#4 Apr 24, 2012
"Hazardous to minors the dangers of protecting children from sex" highly recommended if you're going to be raising kids in today's world!
I got mine at Amazon but I know other bookstores carry it.

“A *wink* and a smile!!”

Since: Apr 10

USA

#5 Apr 24, 2012
A Recently New Parent wrote:
"Hazardous to minors the dangers of protecting children from sex" highly recommended if you're going to be raising kids in today's world!
I got mine at Amazon but I know other bookstores carry it.
Congrats on that beautiful new baby!!

Best Wishes!!:)

“We are MOTORHEAD”

Since: Nov 08

London

#6 Apr 24, 2012
The only book in that list of five that I think is worth reading is George Orwell's 1984
Dr Stinko

Hampton, VA

#7 Apr 24, 2012
Any list that omits Cormac McCarthy cannot be taken but so seriously.

I mean, we can argue re Ian Fleming, John LeCarre, Dickens, Steinbeck, and a host of others, but, some shit's beyond subjective.

“Up with which, I will not put”

Since: Jul 08

Sao Paulo

#8 Apr 24, 2012
What do they mean reading a computer screen doesn't count? I read at least 2 books a month on my computer/phone. As I prefer to read books in English and reside in Latin America, it takes 3 weeks and 30 - 40$ postage to receive books from Amazon and B&N. E-books are fantastic.

“Jody”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#9 Apr 24, 2012
No group can make a list of top five or even ten must read books for the various tastes of man. Even if they could, they'd need to choose at least one or two from the present day copyright date.

Old copy rights still rock, but they don't rule alone. "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Lord Of The Flies" remain on the top of required reading school books but the students also read "Harry Potter". Serious introspection versus fantasy realities, every book has something to offer someone.

I say read. Just read. Read until you've read enough to discover you love to read almost anything.
Xer Recar Jr

Lithia Springs, GA

#10 Apr 24, 2012
off the trail wrote:
"To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Lord Of The Flies" remain on the top of required reading school books but the students also read "Harry Potter".
The first would be somewhere on my list, for sure. I was never a huge "Lord of the Flies' fan. Am not sure I'd ever put Potter on a must read list but, to your point, any reading is a good thing.
Steve

Medford, NY

#11 Apr 24, 2012
"How to get a woman to do what you want to do"

By Justin Tyme
Xer Recar Jr

Lithia Springs, GA

#12 Apr 24, 2012
Steve wrote:
"How to get a woman to do what you want to do"
By Justin Tyme
Another fictional book...
Good One

Medford, NY

#13 Apr 24, 2012
Brain Droppings

By George Carlin
Thomas Jefferson Plotz

Indianapolis, IN

#14 Apr 24, 2012
Many of the so called classics are overrated, but they do have ideas that can educate a person.

'Candide', by Voltaire, missed the list.

I like reading, but Philosophy classes in school stunk. Kissing the instructor's hind-quarter and agreeing with their interpretation of what a dead author meant. Same with Literature and Humanities and Ethnic Studies classes.

“Jody”

Location hidden

#15 Apr 24, 2012
Xer Recar Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
The first would be somewhere on my list, for sure. I was never a huge "Lord of the Flies' fan. Am not sure I'd ever put Potter on a must read list but, to your point, any reading is a good thing.
Are you sure you know I'm talking about "Lord of the Flies" and not "Lord of the Rings"? "Lord of The Rings" isn't on the school listings of required reading,.. not to my knowledge anyway.

Of course I personally enjoyed both, but "Lord of the Flies" I read multiple times. It bespeaks such truth about human nature. If civilization collapsed today, "The Lord of The Flies" would become reality as we reverted to instinct and struggle for hierarchy. I agree with you on Harry Potter,.. too juvinile and not even good fantasy.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#16 Apr 25, 2012
real men dont read.

lol
Recar Xer Jr

Lithia Springs, GA

#17 Apr 25, 2012
off the trail wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure you know I'm talking about "Lord of the Flies" and not "Lord of the Rings"? "Lord of The Rings" isn't on the school listings of required reading,.. not to my knowledge anyway.
Of course I personally enjoyed both, but "Lord of the Flies" I read multiple times. It bespeaks such truth about human nature. If civilization collapsed today, "The Lord of The Flies" would become reality as we reverted to instinct and struggle for hierarchy. I agree with you on Harry Potter,.. too juvinile and not even good fantasy.
Actually, I read Lord of the Rings every five years or so - it's like watching a classic movie. I think Lord of the Flies bothers me because it too closely mirrors my own impression of man and society.

“Jody”

Location hidden

#18 Apr 25, 2012
Recar Xer Jr wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I read Lord of the Rings every five years or so - it's like watching a classic movie. I think Lord of the Flies bothers me because it too closely mirrors my own impression of man and society.
That it does. Scary idea, alright.
Recar Xer Jr

Lithia Springs, GA

#19 Apr 25, 2012
off the trail wrote:
<quoted text>
That it does. Scary idea, alright.
I think the lowest common denominator is much lower than any of us would like to admit.

“Where DO missing socks go?”

Since: Jun 11

They run away to join the show

#20 Apr 25, 2012
Good One wrote:
Brain Droppings
By George Carlin
So was his "When Will Jesus Bring the Porkchops"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bedford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Former Middlesex Prosecutor, Accused of Trading... Jan 17 EverettCitizen 1
exterior painting (Jul '13) Jan 15 Dick Grayson 2
A rockin night out! Jan 9 Long live rock 1
Antibiotic Pulled From Maine Dirt Ends 25-Year ... Jan 7 Thx 1
Sext Jan 5 Mrgorden 2
Billerica bust nets 10 pounds of weed, $140,000... Jan 1 anon 1
Review: Genovesi Construction Masonry (Sep '09) Dec 30 Sue 44

Winter Storm Warning for Middlesex County was issued at January 27 at 8:41AM EST

Bedford News Video

Bedford Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Bedford People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:53 am PST