Lawyer: Shooting of officer was self-...

Lawyer: Shooting of officer was self-defense

There are 255 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Jul 14, 2008, titled Lawyer: Shooting of officer was self-defense. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

A defense lawyer for the man accused of shooting and killing a Twinsburg patrolman last weekend contends his client acted in self-defense. A prosecutor immediately called the self-defense claim ''laughable.'' A ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 13
Next Last
uranass

Ashtabula, OH

#275 Jul 16, 2008
Wow, so the victim deserved to die now. We went from mouring his death thru a senseless muredr to makin him the perp in about 48 hours thanks to the help of dimwits like you.
Observer

Dayton, OH

#276 Jul 16, 2008
nojusticenopeace wrote:
There is a lot that is not being told to this story and a lot that isn't adding up .And since none of us is the one eye witness who saw the whole thing we may never know the truth. However, when a cop runs the plate, any warrants or in this case CCW permits, come up. So if the officer had followed procedure and ran his plates he should have known when he got out of the car what he was up against. Why didnít he call for back up or bring the dog with him? It seems awful convenient that his dash cam was turned off yet when the APB was sent out, it was for 2 people in a car that fit Ashfordsí car description. How did they know how many people were in the car if they didnít have a description or picture? And we would be very naÔve to think there are no bad cops. I donít know if this officer was good or bad but they are out there. And even if he wasnít bad, his brothers in blue may be covering for him saying his gun was holstered. In addition, appearance means a lot. This man in particular was cover in tattoos and piercings and had a shaved head. Any black or brown man, woman and child knows that that is the appearance on a skinhead. Add that to the fact that he was in Twinsburg, a city that covertly lets it be known that they donít like black people and I can see how Ashford might have been alarmed. In addition, the shooting happened in Ashford driveway, not down the street or on the corner as some reports are saying. The neighbor who called 911 did so because the yelling and ďpopĒ she heard was literally coming from the side of her house. If you look at the early footage, they show it is across the street in the cow pasture because they cannot come up on Ashfordís property. If He was only pulling him over for loud music and possible DUI and he was in his own driveway, again why didnít he block him in and call for back up?
My understanding is that the cop jumped out of the car and started yelling and threatening this young man, who had been harassed by the police several times before. He used all of the typical racial slurs, moved quickly and acted erratically and had put a cuff on Ashford before he could even get out of the car. I am sure Ashford felt threatened and having been harassed for DWB ( driving while black) a few times myself, I could see how he might have felt his life was in danger. Until more information is released, I donít think it is fair to jump on the death penalty band wagon.
Nice try. Where is your proof that all of these bad cops are out there. Where are the statistics that they are gunning black people down anywhere. All the typical BS that is perpetrated on the American people on a daily basis. This was a uniformed police officer in a marked cruiser. There was no misinterpreting that. He pulled him over for loud music and suspicion of drunk driving. The idiot crimonal in this case knew he was being arrested. He wasn't being beaten and had no injuries. Save the crap. The dash cam doesn't work. They are electronic devices the same as any other. They are prone to breaking. As for the description, when cops call out traffic stops, some are trained to call out the number of occupants in a vehicle along with color and license number. It is done for a variety of reasons. One being so that other officers can hear and respond as back up if the officer will be outnumbered. So, save the criminal hype and conspiracy theories and deal in fact. What proof do you have that anything that you said is true. Nothing as usual.
Observer

Dayton, OH

#277 Jul 16, 2008
nojusticenopeace wrote:
There is a lot that is not being told to this story and a lot that isn't adding up .And since none of us is the one eye witness who saw the whole thing we may never know the truth. However, when a cop runs the plate, any warrants or in this case CCW permits, come up. So if the officer had followed procedure and ran his plates he should have known when he got out of the car what he was up against. Why didnít he call for back up or bring the dog with him? It seems awful convenient that his dash cam was turned off yet when the APB was sent out, it was for 2 people in a car that fit Ashfordsí car description. How did they know how many people were in the car if they didnít have a description or picture? And we would be very naÔve to think there are no bad cops. I donít know if this officer was good or bad but they are out there. And even if he wasnít bad, his brothers in blue may be covering for him saying his gun was holstered. In addition, appearance means a lot. This man in particular was cover in tattoos and piercings and had a shaved head. Any black or brown man, woman and child knows that that is the appearance on a skinhead. Add that to the fact that he was in Twinsburg, a city that covertly lets it be known that they donít like black people and I can see how Ashford might have been alarmed. In addition, the shooting happened in Ashford driveway, not down the street or on the corner as some reports are saying. The neighbor who called 911 did so because the yelling and ďpopĒ she heard was literally coming from the side of her house. If you look at the early footage, they show it is across the street in the cow pasture because they cannot come up on Ashfordís property. If He was only pulling him over for loud music and possible DUI and he was in his own driveway, again why didnít he block him in and call for back up?
My understanding is that the cop jumped out of the car and started yelling and threatening this young man, who had been harassed by the police several times before. He used all of the typical racial slurs, moved quickly and acted erratically and had put a cuff on Ashford before he could even get out of the car. I am sure Ashford felt threatened and having been harassed for DWB ( driving while black) a few times myself, I could see how he might have felt his life was in danger. Until more information is released, I donít think it is fair to jump on the death penalty band wagon.
Oh, and using your stupid twisted logic, Dennis Rodman is a skinhead. Better watch out for him. Amazing how black people hate to be stereotyped, but are the first to make stupid assumptions like this.
Observer

Dayton, OH

#278 Jul 16, 2008
nojusticenopeace wrote:
"DWB" another myth perpetrated by criminals to avoid blame for their actions. Where is the proof that it exists. I know many black people that have perfect driving records and are never stopped by the police. But, young thugs play loud music, drive reckless, and have multiple vehicle violations and want to place the blame on DWB. Again, save it for the ignorant far left liberals that might believe your lies.
Che

Medina, OH

#279 Jul 16, 2008
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
"DWB" another myth perpetrated by criminals to avoid blame for their actions. Where is the proof that it exists. I know many black people that have perfect driving records and are never stopped by the police. But, young thugs play loud music, drive reckless, and have multiple vehicle violations and want to place the blame on DWB. Again, save it for the ignorant far left liberals that might believe your lies.
http://www.allacademic.com//meta/p_mla_apa_re...

Abstract:

The 1996 U.S. Supreme Court decision Whren v. United States widened police officer discretion in making traffic stops. Prior to Whren, officers needed to be able to articulate ďprobable causeĒ about suspicion of drug activity if they made a traffic stop. Whren permits officers to make a pretextual stop, perhaps based on a very minor traffic infraction, that puts them in a position to better discern whether drug activity is taking place or not. As even the most cautious motorist regularly commits violations of heavily regulated traffic codes, officers can ďlegallyĒ make a traffic stop on virtually every driver of whom they are even remotely suspicious. In a racially-ordered society such as the U.S., officers who consciously or unconsciously make race-based decisions about whom to suspect of criminal activity are now legally protected by the Whren decision. After years of public outcry about racial profiling practices in minority communities, the Whren decision is discussed in the context of recent studies showing evidence of racial profiling on our nationís roadways, and the interesting turn mainstream criminologists have taken with their latest research concerning ďperceptionsĒ of being racially profiled. Data from a preliminary qualitative study of officer views on racial profiling is discussed.

Its foolish to deny that there are pretextual traffic stops based on race. Not saying this one was or wasn't, but to deny they exist is burying one's head in the sand. Even W's Justice Department acknowledged it.
Akronite

Columbus, OH

#280 Jul 16, 2008
consider this wrote:
<quoted text>LMAO. Wassssup. Was wonderin if you'd get on here.
I keep telling my other half to get on here too. Don't know if he's had a chance yet...
isaiditdealwithi t

Massillon, OH

#282 Jul 16, 2008
nojusticenopeace wrote:
You're calling someone a skinhead because of their appearance and justifying this shooting as such? Now who is profiling????????? Sounds like you and this piece of garbage murderer are a match made in hell.
Disbelieving in Virginia

United States

#283 Jul 16, 2008
Self defense? The officer was shot four times according to the story at very close range and within two minutes of the stop? And Mr. Thompson had a permit to carry a gun? And then Mr. Thompson went to a house where he was found later? I do not have a law degree, but sure seems like something other than self defense
QQQ

United States

#285 Jul 16, 2008
nojusticenopeace wrote:
This man in particular was cover in tattoos and piercings and had a shaved head. Any black or brown man, woman and child knows that that is the appearance on a skinhead.
Uh.. no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skinhead

http://www.wikihow.com/Be-a-Skinhead
Mike

United States

#286 Jul 16, 2008
nobody important wrote:
Just for argument's sake, wouldn't it be an interesting turn of events if in fact it was self defense? I'm interested to see how the defense lawyer argues that one.
officer didn't even pull his weapon so what else did Josh have to make the suspect think that he had to defend his life?

Since: Feb 08

Akron, OH

#288 Jul 16, 2008
Gaston Glock wrote:
<quoted text>
And everybody knows that droopy pants and a cocked hat instantly mean gangbanger, right?
You just described C.C. Sabathia.
bobbi

Hillsboro, KS

#289 Jul 16, 2008
nojusticenopeace wrote:
OK, reread the article. the cop killer-in-question was found with ONE handcuff still on. Now, IF the cop, and I say IF, was wrongly arresting Ashford why would he 'kill the cop' to defend himself ?????? This is what a court of law is for. Ashford obviously knew this was a cop. Hmm, flashing lights, cop car, cop, handcuffs. hmmm, must be a .......... You cannot say that Ashford did not know this was a cop arresting him. The facts are this was a probably drunk man trying to get out of an arrest, and happened to have a gun on him. Maybe we can stretch things a bit. Maybe the officer saw a nice neighborhood, thought he was 'nice guy' and felt more comfortable with him. When the officer asked "Sir, do you have a gun?", he sadly believed Ashford was telling the truth. The facts stand that this claim of self-defense is an insult to the memory of this officer trying to do his job. And using the race card (DWB) is another insult against the justice system.
Big D

Ravenna, OH

#290 Jul 17, 2008
well wrote:
dont act like police havent beat or harassed innocent people cause it has happened more times then what people think you werent there so dont judge eventually the truth will come out weather it be self defense or cold blood murder..... However i am sorry that his baby and wife will be without him in their life....
So this police officer with a gun in his holster, a giant flesh eating dog in his car, and less than 2 minutes of radio traffic (from the point of stop to his point of death) may have somehow harassed this kid enough to land himself 3 bullets in one side of his head and a final bullet to finish him off at point blank range? For that we cannot judge, and you can classify him with guys who have "harassed" people? I know you have a working brain, because you can type just fine, so I am just wondering if you are just lacking common sense. So if a young adult messes with another person, do they deserve 4 bullets in their brain? Shall I tell my kids, "Hey, dont tell billy to stop being bad, or you might get a well deserved shot to the brain!" This guy did nothing outside of his job and you know it. Then you say "Im sorry for his baby and wife..." You are sorry alright. Pull your head out of your behind fast, before it gets stuck. You do not sound fair, you sound like an idiot.
kpc

Cleveland, OH

#291 Jul 18, 2008
my heart goes out to his wife and child
Police Supporter

Vienna, OH

#292 Jul 18, 2008
Sickened wrote:
I dont want this guy to get the death penalty. Thats too easy. I want him to be crippled to the point that he cant walk, feed himself, or even wipe his own ---. Keep him alive in prison for as long as possible. This guy needs to suffer forever and its worth our tax dollars.
Whats sad is that he will not suffer in prison. The prison system caters to criminals way too much. He will be fed 3 times a day, be allowed to work out, watch TV and hang with the boys. Basically if he just goes to jail he will be living a decent life for free, paid for by the rest of us. The death sentence seems to quick, maybe we can ship him over to Iraq and let the insurgents have a go at him

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 13
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bedford Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atlantic mills department store (May '15) Mar 30 Dave 6
News 5 people stabbed this morning at Cleveland nigh... (Aug '12) Feb '18 Logic 4
News Maple Heights drug dealer sold fatal heroin dos... (Jan '17) Dec '17 Daddy 10
Lowe's (Jun '17) Jun '17 Brownie 1
News Solon Mugshots: Two Charged After Police Statio... (Dec '12) Jan '17 Will 3
Bedford Heights bar catches fire (May '15) May '15 Bedford Resident 1
News Former Bedford Law Director collected more than... (Mar '14) Apr '14 Yes 6

Bedford Heights Jobs

Personal Finance

Bedford Heights Mortgages