First Prev
of 9
Next Last
I_CARE

Oak Hill, WV

#1 Jul 14, 2010
the police need to sit by the airport and do a road check these people leaving the methadone clinic are higher than a kite besides if they dont work how do they pay for these drugs because it cash or creit card there does anyone know how this place gets by with selling drugs
iagreeeeee

Oak Hill, WV

#2 Jul 14, 2010
this place should be closed down
Hey

Oak Hill, WV

#3 Jul 14, 2010
iagreeeeee wrote:
this place should be closed down
i dissagree people with drug problems need it.

Level 1

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#4 Jul 14, 2010
They claim that methadone, when given in a therapeutic dose, doesn't create a sense of euphoria, and doesn't give you a "high". Most of the patients I've met that use methadone work. The methadone clinic opens at around 5am and closes at around 2pm. This is so that all of the working people can get their dose before they have to start their workday. Going in at 5am is really convenient for the professionals and prominent citizens, it is easier for them to be discreet about their drug problems. I have mixed feelings about methadone. I don't know if it can really help alot of people. I know a few that I think couldn't have kicked drugs without it. I do know this: People love to generalize about drug addicts. They love to look down their noses and demonize them. Addicts aren't bad people, they're people in need of help. Given the right circumstances, you could be there too. And, I also know this: it's amazing how many people think methadone is similar to methamphetamine (i.e. speed, meth). It's not..they're two totally different drugs.
you dont know

Beckley, WV

#5 Jul 14, 2010
I disagree with all of you except Jennn. My husband goes there and he doesn't leave high and he DOES have a job. The methadone helps him because he DID have a real bad drug problem. If he wasn't going there to get help, he would be all strung out on drugs and he would be a loser. But he's getting the help and getting his life back!!!
do some research

Beckley, WV

#6 Jul 14, 2010
first of all I care we don't sell drugs at the methadone clinic. This is a prescribed medication. if you care so much maybe you should place yourself in these people's shoes. We are all one step away from being an addict. it doesn't just affect certain sterotypes. thank God you don't have to deal with this and pray you never will. As far as the ones that leave out of there high, they are probably combining an illicit substance with the methadone. These are the people that give the clinic a bad name and they will get caught and discharged from treatment. many of the patient's hold down jobs and are able to pay for their treatment. Considering some were spending 100$ or more per day, they are now able to provide for their family by coming here. and for your information the police do work the area. get informed before you post.
What i think

Oak Hill, WV

#7 Jul 15, 2010
i tell you one thing by god that metadone is addictive to
i_care

Oak Hill, WV

#8 Jul 15, 2010
done some research i got a brother and sister inlaw over there dont work they go get a fix and come home and go to bed all that place is a place to GET A Fix they cant pay thier bills put they can go give them 24 dollars a day to get high they are expose to show proof of income over there so that tells me its all about the money
Hey

Oak Hill, WV

#9 Jul 15, 2010
I was on methadone for a year it works if you take it right and only take it.
i_care

Oak Hill, WV

#10 Jul 16, 2010
right
blunt

Ithaca, NY

#11 Jul 17, 2010
Addiction is a matter of mental strength and power. If you allow something to take over your life; it will. Dosing on mathadone is substituting one addiction for another. It doesn't really make sence- it is, however a money maker. If an addict is serious about getting off drugs he/she should just stop taking them. It is really that simple. The physical effects that are experienced during withdrawl do not last that long - it is the mental addiction that is the bitch to kick. The real truth is if a person is truly mentally prepared to kick a habit the habit is easy to kick and you don't need other drugs to help.
yes

Beckley, WV

#12 Jul 20, 2010
blunt wrote:
Addiction is a matter of mental strength and power. If you allow something to take over your life; it will. Dosing on mathadone is substituting one addiction for another. It doesn't really make sence- it is, however a money maker. If an addict is serious about getting off drugs he/she should just stop taking them. It is really that simple. The physical effects that are experienced during withdrawl do not last that long - it is the mental addiction that is the bitch to kick. The real truth is if a person is truly mentally prepared to kick a habit the habit is easy to kick and you don't need other drugs to help.
TRUE THAT! I think that this is an ongoing problem because the fact of the matter is, yes, some people that are fighting drug addiction ARE sincerely there to GET HELP and regain control of their lives. However, there are MANY...and I say MANY!!! who go to the methadone clinic because it is cheaper than buying street drugs, but they are also abusing other substances along with it...these are the people that are driving down our roadways risking their lives and the lives of others! Honestly, I agree, if you really want to get off drugs just quit! methadone has many side effects and CAN impair your judgement and perception! It IS ADDICTIVE! If you really want to quit YOU CAN!
hard ace

Oak Hill, WV

#13 Jul 20, 2010
methadone clinic should make the people show proof of income and set a stop time because they got people thats been their for more than two years i think the the clinic should be held acountable too u dont give a alochic a shot of beer everyday to quit drinking

Level 1

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#14 Jul 20, 2010
No, but if they're a severe alcoholic they have to be monitored closely when detoxing or they will die. When alcoholics are detoxing they are often prescribed narcotic drugs in order to help them detox. I'm conflicted about the efficacy of methadone for drug addiction treatment. But, I do know this...everyone needs help to quit using drugs or alcohol. It's a complicated issue and can't be fixed with willpower alone. Those of you that think it's that simple...go ahead and give up your drug of choice..caffeine, nicotine, or whatever. Don't ever think about it again, and don't ever touch it again. Go cold turkey. Let me know how you do. Now imagine that your caffeine or nicotine was 10 times more potent and every time you stopped using it you became violently ill. Good Luck.

Level 1

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#15 Jul 20, 2010
hard ace wrote:
methadone clinic should make the people show proof of income and set a stop time because they got people thats been their for more than two years i think the the clinic should be held acountable too u dont give a alochic a shot of beer everyday to quit drinking
Why is a patient's income any business of the methadone clinic? I do agree that there should be a time limit on methadone treatment and it should be determined on a case by case by case basis.
hard ace

Oak Hill, WV

#16 Jul 21, 2010
because if their on welfare that means you and me are paying the bill if they can get up and go their they can get up and go to work if they dont work were they get the money $14 a day for 365 thats a lot of money if they work and this place helps them god bless go over their one morning and just watch some people will come in their with their kids get their drugs and get in the car and drive away
1 post removed
skeptical--very

Charleston, WV

#18 Jul 21, 2010
what do you think is the percentage of people going to the methadone clinic that actually go in and get the morning dose and then go to work? personally i dont know the exact percentage but i dont feel it is very high. the rest of the people that go then do not. next question, then, is what percentage of the people that go every day are receiving public assistance? and these, taxpayers, are the people that we are supporting so that they can do what? get up every day and go to beckley for a dose of methadone for 13 dollars a day. say it again--13 dollars a day--that averages to 390 dollars a month not including the gasoine it takes to get there

“Bored with insomnia”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#19 Jul 21, 2010
Dang wouldn't crack b cheaper ??? Lol geez

Level 1

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#20 Jul 21, 2010
hard ace wrote:
because if their on welfare that means you and me are paying the bill if they can get up and go their they can get up and go to work if they dont work were they get the money $14 a day for 365 thats a lot of money if they work and this place helps them god bless go over their one morning and just watch some people will come in their with their kids get their drugs and get in the car and drive away
Medicaid doesn't pay for methadone. Every patient pays out of pocket.

Level 1

Since: Jun 09

Location hidden

#21 Jul 21, 2010
skeptical--very wrote:
what do you think is the percentage of people going to the methadone clinic that actually go in and get the morning dose and then go to work? personally i dont know the exact percentage but i dont feel it is very high. the rest of the people that go then do not. next question, then, is what percentage of the people that go every day are receiving public assistance? and these, taxpayers, are the people that we are supporting so that they can do what? get up every day and go to beckley for a dose of methadone for 13 dollars a day. say it again--13 dollars a day--that averages to 390 dollars a month not including the gasoine it takes to get there
If a person is getting no income other than TANF ("welfare check") they can't afford to pay for methadone. I would estimate that 50-60% of the people that go there work and/or go to school. I'd say another 30% are getting SSI and/or Social Security and are 50 yrs or older in age....seriously. I've seen more elderly/late middle age addicts in the Beckley area than any other age group. I suppose it makes sense...if you're older you're more likely to need pain meds, thus more likely to become addicted to them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Frontier vs Suddenlink 2 min Nine 3
Taco Bell 2 hr sistersalvation 2
Deputy Roger Richmond - ADIOS (Sep '16) 2 hr Photographer 42
Police chase in oak hill 5 hr Hubert Duboy 3
Anyone know MARISA Winfree 10 hr Thanks 1
News Review of King Tut Drive in Located in Beckley,... (Dec '09) 15 hr Sweetie 58
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 16 hr DDD 4,193

Beckley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beckley Mortgages