Candidate Dana Bird's Role in Eagles'...

Candidate Dana Bird's Role in Eagles' Club Closing (Secretary of FOE)

Posted in the Beckley Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
informed voter

Greenville, NC

#1 Oct 22, 2008
The Eagles' Club in Mabscott is closing. Various factors enter into the closing but the coup de gras is their failure to remit IRS and State employee income withholding and sales tax. Over $100,000 is owed.

Dana Bird was the Secretary of the Club and as such he was the one who did not remit these taxes. He also failed to tell the trustees and that he was not remitting this money. If this fact was known sooner, it may have been possible to cut back expenses or raise money. At this point it is sell the building and hope to open another Aerie in the future.
MMMM

Charleston, WV

#2 Oct 22, 2008
Why hasn't this been in the paper?
informed voter

Greenville, NC

#3 Oct 22, 2008
MMMM wrote:
Why hasn't this been in the paper?
Why don't you read a lot of things in the paper? Like it or not, the media has an agenda. Ask around, especially if you know anyone who visits the Eagles Club in Mabscott and I'm sure they'll be able to verify the information.

This was brought out in a recent meeting by a representative of the Grand Aerie prior to a vote to sell the buildingn in order to pay the debts and try to regroup and start over.
very concerned citizen

Gay, WV

#4 Oct 22, 2008
Dana Bird has a history of shady activity. It seems odd that the Eagles are having financial problems while at the same time Dana Bird spent more than $20,000 in his election and list no contributors. He says he paid it all himself. But he has not worked in months at his county job because he has been on workers comp. Should not suprise anyone though he did drop out of the last magistrate election he was in because he was the defendat in federal court because he stole and sold black market tv componets. When you combine all that with his gambling issues its not hard to track down the Eagles money problems. Dirty bird is the word.
informed voter

Greenville, NC

#5 Oct 22, 2008
I had heard that Dana Bird has been a bus driver for 10-12 years and over half of time he has been on workers comp.

As one poster asked - why hasn't there been any information concerning being a defendant in a case involving black market tv components?

I have no doubt of the $20,000.00 in the election considering all the signs, campaign materials, slick tv ads and a flashing billboard now being displayed in at least one spot.(Intersection of Eisenhower and Rural Acres Drive).

Additionally, I've also heard that his mother has the real estate listing for the Eagles Club and when it sells (if it does in this bad market) that the commission will be over $30,000. Talk about a conflict of interest.

(I didn't know he had a gambling problem) Perhaps there's more the voters need to know.
voter

Lubbock, TX

#6 Oct 22, 2008
very concerned citizen wrote:
Dana Bird has a history of shady activity. It seems odd that the Eagles are having financial problems while at the same time Dana Bird spent more than $20,000 in his election and list no contributors. He says he paid it all himself. But he has not worked in months at his county job because he has been on workers comp. Should not suprise anyone though he did drop out of the last magistrate election he was in because he was the defendat in federal court because he stole and sold black market tv componets. When you combine all that with his gambling issues its not hard to track down the Eagles money problems. Dirty bird is the word.
i can tell you he wasnt by his self Greg Tanner was also involved but Bird took all the heat and Tanner was a police officer and was just as involved in the tv componets
informed voter

Greenville, NC

#7 Oct 22, 2008
voter wrote:
<quoted text> i can tell you he wasnt by his self Greg Tanner was also involved but Bird took all the heat and Tanner was a police officer and was just as involved in the tv componets
When you say that Bird took all the heat, do you mean there was a conviction?

WV Code
61-3D-3. Sale or transfer of the device or plan intended for acquisition or diversion.
(a) A person who sells, gives or otherwise transfers to another or offers, advertises or exposes for sale to another any device, mechanism, tool or printed circuit, or any kit, plan or instructional procedure for the making of such device, mechanism, tool or printed circuit, with the knowledge that another will acquire cable television services in violation of this article, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be punishable in accordance with subsection (b) of this section.

(b) A person convicted of a misdemeanor under this section shall be punished as follows:
(1) Upon a first conviction under this section, the defendant shall be fined not less than two hundred fifty dollars, nor more than five hundred dollars.

and the WV Constitution:

West Virginia Constitution

3-2. Magistrates servants of people.
All power is vested in, and consequently derived from, the people. Magistrates are their trustees and servants, and at all times amenable to them.

I believe we need to be careful who we elect to be our trustees and servants and who will be judging others who come before them.
Charlie Hunt

United States

#8 Oct 22, 2008
A couple of months ago, I sent a letter to the editor at the Register Herald, addressing the fact that Mr. Bird was in fact, by all acoounts a crook, because of his problems in 2004, in Federal Court here in Beckley, and that he had no business running for Magistrate. Why would we want to place a fox in the hen house.
After it had not been ran for many weeks, I went in person to the paper, taking with me the Federal Court Documents proveing my claim.
I was told that they already had that information, and that Mr. Butch Antolini would make the desision whether or not to print it.
After a few more weeks, I e-mailed Mr. Antolini asking him if it would run and if not, if he would mail me back telling me why not.
The election is 13 days away, and I have yet to read my letter, or to hear back from Butch Antolini.
Yes it is true, they must have an agenda.
It's sad when the local paper won't print the truth. But, what else is new?
Charlie Hunt

United States

#9 Oct 22, 2008
By the way, I'm not from Fraziers Bottom. I live in Beaver.

Since: Oct 08

United States

#10 Oct 22, 2008
voter wrote:
<quoted text> i can tell you he wasnt by his self Greg Tanner was also involved but Bird took all the heat and Tanner was a police officer and was just as involved in the tv componets.

I can't believe that Tanner honesty beat Dan Farley in the primary election. The numbers just didn't add up. There are some rumors. Raleigh County has surly missed out on a fair and honest sheriff in Dan Farley.
informed voter

Greenville, NC

#11 Oct 22, 2008
Well, I guess I won't waste my time asking the paper why they haven't investigated this claim.

On second thought, perhaps if enough people contact the paper the editor/publisher will see fit to publish the truth (before the election).

Could I ask how/where you got the documents? I assume it is public information and perhaps you could scan and post it here. Or...email it to me at [email protected]

This information needs to be made public.
Concerned Citizen1

Lubbock, TX

#12 Oct 22, 2008
Charlie Hunt wrote:
voter wrote:
<quoted text> i can tell you he wasnt by his self Greg Tanner was also involved but Bird took all the heat and Tanner was a police officer and was just as involved in the tv componets.
I can't believe that Tanner honesty beat Dan Farley in the primary election. The numbers just didn't add up. There are some rumors. Raleigh County has surly missed out on a fair and honest sheriff in Dan Farley.
Greg Tanner is also running for magistrate. Steve Tanner is the one who won for Sheriff. Which Tanner was suposedly involved in the TV componets with Bird?? If if was Greg then voters should be aware of that too. If it was Steve I guess there is nothing to be done about it now.

United States

#13 Oct 22, 2008
Concerned Citizen1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Greg Tanner is also running for magistrate. Steve Tanner is the one who won for Sheriff. Which Tanner was suposedly involved in the TV componets with Bird?? If if was Greg then voters should be aware of that too. If it was Steve I guess there is nothing to be done about it now.
I'm not sure. Didn't know there were two of them.
James

United States

#14 Oct 22, 2008
Politicians on all levels are respected less than a used car salesman.

United States

#15 Oct 22, 2008
Below, is a copy of the letter sent to the paper, a very long time ago.

My friends, let us wake up before we vote.
We have a need to be informed concerning the candidates that we may be voting for, whether national, or local.
With all the great choices we have in our own Magistrate race here in Raleigh County, how did we end up with Mr. Dana Bird on the ticket?
If we recall, Mr. Dana Bird ran for office back in 2004, and now, is running for one of our Magistrate positions in 2008.
Mr. Bird seems able to run for public office, but yet, he has not been able to work at his other Raleigh County Public Employee position in the past several years, because of an alleged on the job injury.
It would seem to me and others, that if he can run for public office, then he should be able to return to the job that he's already being paid to perform by the tax payers.
In 2004, in the height of the primary election, Mr. Bird surprisingly withdrew from the race. Could it have been because of his pending Federal Court Trial, Case #5:04-cv-00074 ? It appears, that Mr. Dana Bird had been buying, and then reselling, illegal access cards that would enable people to steal services from the Direct TV Satellite Company. This Federal Lawsuit was later settled out of court, according to court documents.
Is this the type of person we really desire to place into such a high, and honorable office, as Magistrate?
Our current Raleigh County Magistrates who hold office now, are the best in the state. They are honest, fair, and people of integrity.
Mr. Bird should withdraw from this race.
Know the person you are voting for.
God bless.
veteran

Gay, WV

#16 Oct 22, 2008
I was wondering when this information about bird would finally come out.
A member

United States

#17 Oct 22, 2008
informed voter wrote:
The Eagles' Club in Mabscott is closing. Various factors enter into the closing but the coup de gras is their failure to remit IRS and State employee income withholding and sales tax. Over $100,000 is owed.
Dana Bird was the Secretary of the Club and as such he was the one who did not remit these taxes. He also failed to tell the trustees and that he was not remitting this money. If this fact was known sooner, it may have been possible to cut back expenses or raise money. At this point it is sell the building and hope to open another Aerie in the future.
Dana could not have been acting along , some one else had to have knowledge of this long term debt to the govt. I agree that he has explaining to do to the membership, so do the other officers. Just saying I did,nt know is not acceptable.
very concerned citizen

Gay, WV

#18 Oct 22, 2008
Are the police investigating Bird's embezzlment from the Eagles? This needs to be adressed before the election.
informed voter

Greenville, NC

#19 Oct 22, 2008
Charlie Hunt - thanks for posting the Court Case numbers - here's a link to limited information:

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-wvsdce...

unfortunately to access more information you have to have a subscription to something called Pacer to enter the restricted web site for WV Southern District Court Electronic Court Filings.
informed voter

Greenville, NC

#20 Oct 22, 2008
very concerned citizen wrote:
Are the police investigating Bird's embezzlment from the Eagles? This needs to be adressed before the election.
I don't think (at this point) that you could call Bird's actions embezzlement - but rather a "failure" to deposit money due to various agencies because there was no extra money to pay bills. BUT, Bird did not advise anyone (as far as I have been able to acertain)that he was holding these payments so obviously no one knew that the debt was growing. Anyone with good business sense knows you pay the government or you won't be in business long.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Beckley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
wondering 41 min Carrie 5
Scotty Tyler cheating on his wife 57 min friend 17
TRUMP is an acronym for........ 1 hr Porch Honkey the ... 11
Old Newspaper Building 1 hr Tedkat09 9
John Howerton Honda on verge of bankruptcy 3 hr Lucy 7
Timothy Dean Adams BUSTED for SHOPLIFTING !! 4 hr Lori 13
Raleigh county indictments 6 hr Da truf 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Beckley Mortgages